• The KillerFrogs

2019 Depth Chart

CryptoMiner

Released prior to presser (From FW Star-Telegram)

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article234394402.html

QUARTERBACK

Starter: Alex Delton OR Max Duggan

Backups: Justin Rogers OR Mike Collins

Patterson will anoint one of these guys as the opening-day starter later today.

RUNNING BACK
Starter: Darius Anderson OR Sewo Olonilua

Backup: Emari Demercado

Olonilua and Anderson have dreams of being NFL Draft picks after the season. Olonilua’s status is in question as he deals with pending drug charges in Walker County.

WIDE RECEIVERS
Starters: Jalen Reagor (Z), Dylan Thomas OR Al’Dontre Davis (Y), Taye Barber (H), TreVontae Hights OR Mikel Barkley (X)

Backups: Te’Vailance Hunt (Z), John Stephens Jr. (X)

Reagor is one of the most explosive players in the Big 12, but the Frogs will need others to step up to take pressure off him.

TIGHT END
Starter: Pro Wells

Backups: Artayvious Lynn, Carter Ware

Will TCU use the tight end more this season? Time will tell.

OFFENSIVE LINE
Starters: Lucas Niang (RT), David Bolisomi (RG), Coy McMillon (C), Cordel Iwuagwu (LG), Quazzel White (LT)

Backups: Andrew Coker (RT), Austin Myers OR Wes Harris (RG), Esteban Avila (C), Kellton Hollins (LG), Anthony McKinney (LT)

Niang is a NFL talents on the outside. White is a surprise over Anthony McKinney, although McKinney has been dealing with an injury throughout fall camp. Bolisomi is also a surprise to see atop the depth chart, but he does make the interior bigger (6-foot-6, 322 pounds). Iwuagwu missed much of last season with an injury, but is healthy now. McMillon is a bigger-bodied center (6-foot-4) to help with head-on nose tackles in today game)

DEFENSIVE ENDS
Starters: Shameik Blackshear, Ochaun Mathis

Backups: Adam Plant Jr., Parker Workman

This is arguably the most difficult position to replace with the departures of Ben Banogu and L.J. Collier. But Blackshear and Mathis have the potential to do just that.

DEFENSIVE TACKLES
Starters: Ross Blacklock, Corey Bethley

Backups: Terrell Cooper, Karter Johnson, Soni Misi

A pair of 300-pounders with ability to generate interior pressure will suit the Frogs well.

LINEBACKERS
Starters: Garret Wallow, La’Kendrick Van Zandt

Backups: Dee Winters, Zach Marcheselli, Jacoby Simpson, Wyatt Harris

Wallow had the most tackles of anyone returning on defense last season, and Van Zandt has long been viewed as one of the top athletes on the Frogs’ roster.

SAFETIES
Starters: Trevon Moehrig (free), Innis Gaines (strong), Vernon Scott (weak)

Backups: Keenan Reed, Nook Bradford, Ar’Darius Washington

TCU has had the Big 12’s top pass defense for two straight years. To make it three straight, this group has to play well.

CORNERBACKS
Starters: Jeff Gladney, Julius Lewis

Backups: Kee’Yon Stewart, Tre’Vius Hodges-Tomlinson

Gladney may be the best cover man in the Big 12. Lewis isn’t too far behind him, either.

SPECIAL TEAMS
Kicker: Jonathan Song OR Griffin Kell

Snapper: Antonio Ortiz

Punter/ holder: Jordy Sandy

Kickoff returner: Jalen Reagor (Emari Demercado is No. 2 option)

Punt returner: Derius Davis (Tre’Vius Hodges-Tomlinson and Jalen Reagor listed as other option

MAcFroggy

White and Bolisomi are definitely the biggest surprises. Bolisomi moving from tackle is interesting. Hopefully it just means he is too good to leave off of the field and not a lack of talent and depth at guard.

Wonder how much of White starting is related to McKinney's injury?

CryptoMiner

The actual pages-little easier to read and has more info

EC_MZvQW4AEdROW

Eight

curious how much of the depth chart is a byproduct of who has been healthy and how things will change over the next few weeks.

areas of interest:

offensive line - white starting at left tackle is interesting, but david bolisomi is the biggest surprise. good to see david get a chance and that makes the frogs really big on the right side of the offensive line.

second offensive line is interesting with coker at right tackle, kelton hollilns at left guard and meyers and harris fighting for reps at the other guard

defensive line - interested in watching plant develop and george ellis is mia at defensive tackle.

safety - bradford showing up with the second unit is interesting.

LeagueCityFrog

Kelton Hollis to guard, good deal. Coy McMillian needs to add 15lbs as the season goes on. I hope Dylan Thomas has a great season. Maybe the shortest starting left tackle in the Big XII at 6'3". If he gets the job done, who cares. Right side of our o line are monsters. Good to get our left guard back hopefully for a whole season. He's also NFL grade. Excited to see this team play. Big and fast defense too. Kell also listed as the possible kicker with Song. I like that and hopefully he's the second coming of cool as ice Oberkrom.
Looking forward to the first home game hype video later this work week and the new team intro video and entrance pageantry. Best time of the year!

One last item, I hope our new receivers coach, Malcolm Kelly, has been all over our receivers about what quality downfield blocking looks like. It was awful last year. Just put on a video of Ty Slanina murdering people as an example of how to do it right. Also, I hope Sonny doesn't sub in and out as much this year at the skill positions. It allows the opposing defense to sub as well, slows our rhythm down, and takes away our Texas heat conditioning advantage.

2014 season is about to repeat itself minus 61-58. Sorry Art.

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

curious how much of the depth chart is a byproduct of who has been healthy and how things will change over the next few weeks.

areas of interest:

offensive line - white starting at left tackle is interesting, but david bolisomi is the biggest surprise. good to see david get a chance and that makes the frogs really big on the right side of the offensive line.

second offensive line is interesting with coker at right tackle, kelton hollilns at left guard and meyers and harris fighting for reps at the other guard

defensive line - interested in watching plant develop and george ellis is mia at defensive tackle.

There are years when any of our 5 OL backups could easily have been the starter. Haven’t all but Coker started a game at some point?

JockO de Frog

Surprise--White over McKinney
Great to see that Coker and Karter Johnson are as good as billed.
I know there is little option but I do worry about the beating Van Zandt's small frame will take.
Also noticed the number of true freshmen in the 2-deep.

Wexahu

areas of interest:

I was kind of wondering about Ellis even before this came out.

JockO de Frog

One last item, I hope our new receivers coach, Malcolm Kelly, has been all over our receivers about what quality downfield blocking looks like. It was awful last year. Just put on a video of Ty Slanina murdering people as an example of how to do it right.

Let's not forget Diarse. I loved that guy. Plus, he could take a beating and get back up.

Froggish

Good chance the Bolisomi is being rewarded with the start. Wes has been hurt and DB has worked hard for many years. Ive never heard of him sliding inside

Eight

There are years when any of our 5 OL backups could easily have been the starter. Haven’t all but Coker started a game at some point?

4 of the 6 listed on the second offensive line group have indeed started (mckinney - 9 starts, hollins - 11 starts, myers - 9 starts, harris 5 starts)

i think you make a good point about prior years depth and when i look at this group of 11 is there is a good amount of experience spread across a number of possibilities.

thomsen has a load of flexibility/possibilities.

i am really interested in watching white at left tackle. there were good things said about him last year and texas back in the 2000's had a left tackle (justin blaylock) who was bit more like a guard than a tackle, but he was a beast especially in pulling in the run game.

coker is massive and i think has great potential and i have written before about a friend who coaches in high school who still raves about coy mcmillon killing people in abilene's offense as a tight end. they would move him around and he was great at understanding the angles needed to push bigger defenders.