• The KillerFrogs

2019 Baseball Season

Pharm Frog

Some rule changes and clarifications that may be worth noting (full list plus rationale in the link below) -- Note: several of these have already come into play in D2 which started on Feb 1 including the backswing rule and the HBP = strike rule and several issues with the wind-up rule. Just heard a broadcast with a warning on the 120 second rule:

• To allow six (6) defensive conferences per game for a regulation game. A maximum of three (3) of these defensive conferences may include a coach.
  • To clarify that during the backswing, if the batter unintentionally hits the catcher or the ball, the pitch shall be called a strike, the ball will be dead and no runners shall advance on the play.
  • To charge an offensive conference if the batter runner or runners leave their position during a defensive conference.
  • To penalize the batter with a strike and not award first base if, in the judgement of the umpire, the batter makes an intentional movement to be hit by a pitch, regardless of where the pitch is located
  • To clarify that a defensive player may not block any part of the base with any part of their body unless they have clear possession of the ball. If the defensive player blocks a base before having clear possession of the ball, the umpire shall call obstruction, the ball shall be dead immediately and the runner involved shall be awarded one base beyond the last base the runner had attained before the obstruction.
  • To require that to be in the windup position, the pitcher shall stand with: a) His chest and shoulders generally facing the batter, b) His pivot foot touching on or in front of the pitcher's plate and c) The free foot touching or behind the plane of the front edge of the pitcher’s plate.
  • To require that to be in the set position, the pitcher shall stand with his pivot foot in contact with and parallel to the pitcher’s plate and his free foot in front of the pitcher’s plate. Further, the pitcher may turn his shoulders and face the batter while receiving the sign prior to facing the respective foul lines and bringing the hands together in the set position.
  • To penalize a pitcher by calling a balk for faking a throw to third base and then throwing to first base.
  • To expand the existing list of plays that allow the use of video review to include the following to assist umpires in deciding: 1) Force and tag plays at any base. 2) Plays involving runners passing a preceding runner, scoring prior to the third out and whether a runner touched a base. 3) Plays involving hit by pitch. 4) If a runner failed to retouch his base after a fair or foul ball is caught. 5) The umpire’s placement of a batter runner or runners following a boundary call. 6) If interference occurred in an attempt to break up a double play
  • To establish a coach’s challenge process for the administration of video review by permitting each head coach two (2) challenges for the duration of the game.
  • To require that: a) The time between innings shall be increased from the current 90 seconds (for untelevised games) and 108 seconds (for televised games) to 120-seconds for all games, and b) The 120-second clock shall begin when the last out is made. The current rule stating that the clock shall stop when the pitcher begins his pitching motion for the first pitch to the first batter of the inning will remain unchanged. NOTE: Clock will start when the last out is made not when the last player crosses the foul line.
http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2018MBA_Final_Approved_Changes_20180824.pdf

Kyle101011

That was a really good Vandy team. We were also a super strong team, but I think they had more talent. Kind of similar to Florida knocking us out with Faedo.

Coastal Carolina was a good team, but certainly not a great team. Granted that wasn't the best TCU team either.
It sucks big time because I think any of our other CWS teams would have easily beat them and won the natty.

Raw Frog

This deserves its own thread, but who/what/why is behind the 11.7 scholarships for baseball. Title IX ships could be easily adjusted to take that into affect to allow for more ships for baseball. It is an unreasonably low number of spots for baseball. One would think the powers at be would band and get the rule changed. At least make a charge at it. Anybody got info on this?

MTfrog5

This deserves its own thread, but who/what/why is behind the 11.7 scholarships for baseball. Title IX ships could be easily adjusted to take that into affect to allow for more ships for baseball. It is an unreasonably low number of spots for baseball. One would think the powers at be would band and get the rule changed. At least make a charge at it. Anybody got info on this?
85 football scholarships is a big part of it

Pharm Frog

Been discussed many times around here and will be again I'm sure. If it posts correctly, below you will find a small discussion thread here on KFC. Of course 11.7 scholarships is ridiculous for college baseball. Even more so compared to 12 headcount scholarships for women's volleyball (average team size of 16) and 12 equivalency scholarships for women's softball (average team size of 21). D1 baseball teams average 35 players. Even worse at D2 where the equivalency scholarship limit is 9.

https://forum.killerfrogs.com/index...ball-only-has-11-7-or-so-scholarships.209447/

Pharm Frog

85 football scholarships is a big part of it

That and the fact that many schools still don't fully fund even their 11.7 and if you increased it and even more couldn't fully fund, you'd see a lot of programs simply disappear. I believe that the coach from Coastal Carolina was one that said his school would become instantly non-competitive and would likely fold the baseball program if it became a scholarship race. What I'd like to see discussed more is the implications for injuries. I've personally seen D2 programs abuse student-athletes on the baseball field because many simply don't have the bodies to play a full season of good level baseball (especially on the mound) and yet there's still a need to win for these coaches. I think we may have been down to one (maybe two if you count a backup catcher) position players last season and that's for fully funded 11.7 TCU.

Purp

What is the story behind the red Lebaron?
Big group of KF.cers are tailgating during the regional in Lot 13 along Bellaire. Most fans have already filled all the parking in the neighborhood across the street and a red Lebaron convertible is seeking a spot across the street from us.

He spied a gap between a couple vehicles approximately 3 inches longer than his car and decided that was more than enough room. For about 10 minutes he worked to wedge his car in between the much larger ones parked in front of and behind him. Each time he put it in reverse he rammed the car behind him. Likewise in drive, he rammed the truck in front of him. Once finished he got out and walked in like nothing happened.

This happened in front of maybe 30 spectators and took long enough to fully consume a beer and get well into the next.

MTfrog5

That and the fact that many schools still don't fully fund even their 11.7 and if you increased it and even more couldn't fully fund, you'd see a lot of programs simply disappear. I believe that the coach from Coastal Carolina was one that said his school would become instantly non-competitive and would likely fold the baseball program if it became a scholarship race. What I'd like to see discussed more is the implications for injuries. I've personally seen D2 programs abuse student-athletes on the baseball field because many simply don't have the bodies to play a full season of good level baseball (especially on the mound) and yet there's still a need to win for these coaches. I think we may have been down to one (maybe two if you count a backup catcher) position players last season and that's for fully funded 11.7 TCU.
What I would like to see happen to the sports you mentioned above plus the likes of basketball is to decrease their number but make them partial scholarships like baseball currently is

Ron Swanson

Big group of KF.cers are tailgating during the regional in Lot 13 along Bellaire. Most fans have already filled all the parking in the neighborhood across the street and a red Lebaron convertible is seeking a spot across the street from us.

He spied a gap between a couple vehicles approximately 3 inches longer than his car and decided that was more than enough room. For about 10 minutes he worked to wedge his car in between the much larger ones parked in front of and behind him. Each time he put it in reverse he rammed the car behind him. Likewise in drive, he rammed the truck in front of him. Once finished he got out and walked in like nothing happened.

This happened in front of maybe 30 spectators and took long enough to fully consume a beer and get well into the next.
You forgot to mention that the crowd that gathered began to cheer every time the guy hit one of the other cars. Then at some point, the owner of the Tahoe, or whatever it was, came running out.

Purp

You forgot to mention that the crowd that gathered began to cheer every time the guy hit one of the other cars. Then at some point, the owner of the Tahoe, or whatever it was, came running out.
Who took the picture of it once it was parked? Was that you or Riggs? Maybe Phormer or Arguy? Seems like someone posted it here at one point. I remember seeing it and spitting out my drink through my nose.

tcumaniac

Hahaha. Watched this entire thing happen exactly as you described from start to finish. It was absolutely amazing. As Ron said, the audible cheers every time the guy hit the car in front or behind him was hilarious too.

tcumaniac

Who took the picture of it once it was parked? Was that you or Riggs? Maybe Phormer or Arguy? Seems like someone posted it here at one point. I remember seeing it and spitting out my drink through my nose.
I may have taken a picture of it. Do you remember what year this was? I can go back on google photo and see if I can find anything.

GoFrog Yourself

Did anyone mention Luken's home run against Texas Tech?

Someone said “Luken hitting one to Council bluffs against Tech” in a previous post. But always fun to watch that video, between that and Matt Curry’s grand slam I’m not sure which I enjoy more. I was at the Matt curry game and watched luken’s jack in a bar surrounded by techies who got real quiet after that. They weren’t being jerks but definitely on the cockier side, won some beers off them after the game

Purp

I may have taken a picture of it. Do you remember what year this was? I can go back on google photo and see if I can find anything.
I thought it was 2014, but Ron said he missed the 2014 regional so it must have been before that. But the only other regionals we hosted prior to 2014 were 09, 10, and 11. The 09 and 10 regionals were the years we went to Austin supers. I was in the Army during the 10 and 11 regionals so I wasn't able to attend. That means it would had to have been the 09 regional if I'm correct that it was 2014 or earlier, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't that far back.

@Ron Swanson, did you maybe attend Friday/Saturday games that year and leave late Saturday before the SHSU game? If not it would seem the red LaBaron was some year after 2014. Maybe 15, 16, or 17.