• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Moose Stuff

I should’ve tagged you too, Eight, my apologies. This is kind of where I am about it all. And why my apathy is slowly growing.

At Columbus he had a playmaker to make his system work. We have pulisic but he insists on playing him out wide. His use of Adams (when healthy) is perplexing too. His use of pomykol for only ten minutes at a time grates. His non call-ups and use of Sargent incenses.

Hard to argue with the second paragraph.

Purp

@Moose Stuff and @Purp and @dawg and @Eight and @Portland Frog and @tcujsauce thought y’all might like to read this. Not the best article in terms of reading ease, a quality editor didn’t get their hands on it it looks like, but the guy has some interesting takes.

I know I’m one of those who wants to “bleed” the youngsters, particularly in meaningless friendlies. Plus, we already know what we have in Zardes and others. But I found some of his comments intriguing.

Edit: included most who post regularly in this thread. Apologies on if I missed anyone.

USMNT heading into end of Berhalter’s first year

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2019/09/12/usmnt-heading-into-end-of-berhalters-first-year/
That was a ho hum piece for me. I disagree and think Berhalter better be trying to win now. Winning is a habit we need to relearn and the WC isn't the place to try to learn it.

I'm growing less and less confident in Berhalter. For all the talk about his system I've seen no identity at all and very little consistency in personnel from one match to the next. How to you teach a complicated system with different personnel each time? I'm getting the impression he doesn't really know what he wants and he's doing a little bit of everything to try to make everybody happy. The trouble is, he's not winning the matches that matter and that's the only thing that will really make everybody happy.

I say if he's not got some obvious momentum building in the next year we need to find a new manager. And it better not take another year+ to name him. That might make me a Mexico fan.

Eight

I should’ve tagged you too, Eight, my apologies. This is kind of where I am about it all. And why my apathy is slowly growing.

At Columbus he had a playmaker to make his system work. We have pulisic but he insists on playing him out wide. His use of Adams (when healthy) is perplexing too. His use of pomykol for only ten minutes at a time grates. His non call-ups and use of Sargent incenses.

no problem.

berhalter also had a significantly longer period of time to identify players to fit his system and then the time to teach the system and develop the skills needed to execute the system.

that is exactly something you don't have when you are a national team manager. he will never get a long, long period of time to implement a system and isn't in a position to teach the skills required by his system.

best analogy i can think of is if gary were selected to coach an all-star team and he tried to implement his full 4-2-5 package in a few weeks time.

following the football line of thought the national team manager needs to have a mindset akin to lincoln riley who looks at the talent available to him and puts them in situations to maximize the talent and not force talent into a rigid system.

Last edited:

Eight

Well I mean they MIGHT need someone in goal.

against altidore or z up front? why does those two remind me of the charles barkley line about deandre jordan playing horse.

then again that is if the us could get the ball out of the back against the liverpool 3 pressing them.

really sad this is even a bad joke, scheiss berhalter and his damn system

Last edited:

Eight

Same here, watched Bayern and Leipzig. Recorded the Dortmund/Leverkusen and ran through it pretty quick.

you could have skipped through until the final 20 minutes and while missing a couple of the goals you would have gotten the feel of the match.

amazes me how fast dortmund can change the field and be in a break out situation.

one thing that frustrates me is when i watch dortmund, bayern, liverpool, etc.. and see these guys who are natural goal scorers and yet they us can't find one to play on a regular basis.

we have had them in the past, but where they hell did they go?

Chongo94

you could have skipped through until the final 20 minutes and while missing a couple of the goals you would have gotten the feel of the match.

amazes me how fast dortmund can change the field and be in a break out situation.

one thing that frustrates me is when i watch dortmund, bayern, liverpool, etc.. and see these guys who are natural goal scorers and yet they us can't find one to play on a regular basis.

we have had them in the past, but where they hell did they go?

I can remember when we never had one and it was our main weakness. Then we found some but lost some of our midfield playmakers for a bit. If it’s not one thing, it’s another. So frustrating.

dawg

Didn’t watch, just saw the score...wow. Anyone see the Norwich vs Man City game today?

/JerryThatsAShame.gif. Talk about a shocking result. Didn’t record it (I’ve been recording pretty much every sporting event recently; love the unlimited DVR on YouTubeTV) because I thought it’d be 6-1. Looks like City did start with Gabriel Jesus, De Bruyne, Fernandinho, and Mahrez on the bench. But £2 billion in petroleum transfers should have allowed City the quality regardless. Norwich supporters will cherish this one.

Purp

I only had time for Spurs this morning. They blitzed Palace hard in the first half for a 4-0 count at the break. Then I had my son's soccer game and college football. I'd love to record and watch all these games, but between my son playing 3 baseball/soccer games a week plus practices I just never have time to catch up on the DVR. Watching 2 week old games between 2 sides I don't support isn't happening right now.

tcujsauce

Didn’t watch, just saw the score...wow. Anyone see the Norwich vs Man City game today?

Was at Upper 90 as per usual w/ my Bayern crew, but had one of the TVs on that match. It was incredible.

AE9857-A0-4426-4654-A47-C-FD3185-C4-C079.jpg

Last edited: