• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Chongo94

One question. I assume the UCL ban would be for the 19/20 season (given we know MC already did qualify for 19/20 based on this year’s results). So the 5th place team from the 18/19 season would get their spot for the 19/20 season, correct?

No, I think it’s most likely to be for the 2020/21 season. Believe that is due to the likely appeals and whatnot. But I would guess that yes, that scenario you illustrated would play out, just make it the 5th place team for this upcoming season.

Purp

If we beat France just wait until the media start shoving microphones in front of Abby Wambach and Hope Solo for their hot takes. It's unfortunate that a small handful of ungrateful outliers can have such a deleterious effect on the perception of a group, but I'm totally worn out by this.

The 1999 WC winners did more to change the women's game than any group ever will and they did so by being great players, endearing personalities, and devoid of controversy. If these ladies really want to achieve progress for the women's game they should take a look at that playbook. IMO they're doing more harm than good by checking only one of those boxes.

Moose Stuff

If we beat France just wait until the media start shoving microphones in front of Abby Wambach and Hope Solo for their hot takes. It's unfortunate that a small handful of ungrateful outliers can have such a deleterious effect on the perception of a group, but I'm totally worn out by this.

The 1999 WC winners did more to change the women's game than any group ever will and they did so by being great players, endearing personalities, and devoid of controversy. If these ladies really want to achieve progress for the women's game they should take a look at that playbook. IMO they're doing more harm than good by checking only one of those boxes.

Putting a microphone in front of Hope Solo and asking her a question about literally anything is probably never gonna be a good idea.

Moose Stuff

Someone who isn’t looking for attention would have said something like “I’ll worry about that AFTER we win”. Someone looking for attention says what she said. And now that a certain person in DC has taken notice she’s gonna get all the attention she can handle.

Chongo94

Tom Byer was on SiriusXM FC again today. Just give that guy the reins to our youth coaching and development. USSF will never do that, but a man can dream dangit.

Purp

@Chongo94 there's a USMNT Gold Cup game tonight. Don't miss this one. It's pretty much meaningless, which means you may not see Boyd or Pulisic, though. Best opponent yet, though.

Purp

I hope not one of these 11 ever start another game for us except for maybe the GK.
I get your point, but I thought Reggie Cannon looked really good again and wouldn't mind seeing more of him. I also wouldn't be opposed to Miazga getting more starts, but he has to start turning the corner soon.

And that Jozy goal was nice, but he seemed to be a ghost for large swaths of the game.