• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Portland Frog

I’m so apathetic with Arsenal these days after Wenger drove them so far into the ground that I won’t be watching...plus I’ll be doing “errands” with the family today anyway. If Sarri gets those players to play to his system, look out.

Let's see which side is adapting more quickly in the second game of the EPL with these new coaches.

dawg

I’m so apathetic with Arsenal these days after Wenger drove them so far into the ground that I won’t be watching...plus I’ll be doing “errands” with the family today anyway.

exciting first half Chongo! 2-2. Now CHE needs to put Hazard in! Or I hope they do around the 70'.

That was a crazy match. Both teams should have been up four or five by the end of the first half with more clinical finishing. Hazard made the difference, though. Arsenal have no one near that calibre to throw on late to change the match. We're still same ol' Arsenal: bevy of attacking talent with far too little spine at the back. Emery's going to have to work his Europa League magic to get back into the CL next year (and yes, I'm aware just how pathetic our plight is that I had to actually write that sentence).

Chongo94

That was a crazy match. Both teams should have been up four or five by the end of the first half with more clinical finishing. Hazard made the difference, though. Arsenal have no one near that calibre to throw on late to change the match. We're still same ol' Arsenal: bevy of attacking talent with far too little spine at the back. Emery's going to have to work his Europa League magic to get back into the CL next year (and yes, I'm aware just how pathetic our plight is that I had to actually write that sentence).

Sounds as if it’s going to take many years. It’s almost criminal how little coaching Wenger did and how stubborn he was to address defensive deficiencies.

Portland Frog

Sounds as if it’s going to take many years. It’s almost criminal how little coaching Wenger did and how stubborn he was to address defensive deficiencies.

It may not take that long. It’s often the case teams historically as good as ARS can turn it around quickly with a new coach-direction. CHE did it after Mourinho disaster in his last year with Conte winning the league the next year. Emery may be the guy for ARS. I agree they need to fix the back end. But CHE had breakdowns too.

hiphopfroggy

Serie A fan here, good to see Sarri get a W in his first game, London derby no less. He directs a most entertaining squad and I anticipate his success in the EPL.

Very entertaining opening day in Serie A.

Ronaldo debut for Juve and Ancelotti returning to Italy and debuting as Sarri's replacement.

Roma v Torino is the ESPN game of the week on espn news at 11am tomorrow, rest of games are on espn +, best 5$ ever spent.

http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=176ee505-22cc-47b5-aa5c-4c4f9b9fce3b

Portland Frog

Whoa. MU loses to Brighton. No bueno for their fans. MU seemed uninspired. This is what happens to Mourinho’s squads after a year or two.

And MC spanking Huddersfield 6-1 yesterday. Lordy.

Last edited:

hiphopfroggy

What an amazing opening game winner from Dzeko, must be the goal of the week through out Europe. New arrival from Ajax, Justin Kluivert living up to his name in his first 15 min off the bench...

Thank goodness for VAR, all hail Dzeko and Forza Roma

Last edited:

Chongo94

What an amazing opening game winner from Dzeko, must be the goal of the week through out Europe. New arrival from Ajax, Justin Kluivert living up to his name in his first 15 min off the bench...

Thank goodness for VAR, all hail Dzeko and Forza Roma

Did you think his ball in crossed out over the line? There wasn’t a good angle but it sure did look close. Dzeko walked off like a gangster after that goal haha.

hiphopfroggy

Did you think his ball in crossed out over the line? There wasn’t a good angle but it sure did look close. Dzeko walked off like a gangster after that goal haha.

didn't see a good angle on that like you said but I think VAR would have caught it if it had. Ha, loved his reaction!

Chongo94

These kits from Fc Rostov are crazy haha. They’re calling it their lucky carpet look apparently.

_103127531_rostov_carpet.jpg

FC Rostov release 'lucky carpet' fourth kit after fan brings one to game
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/45268948

Chongo94

Bundesliga officially begins tomorrow with Bayern vs Hoffenheim in the afternoon. Fox does pretty good coverage but not as great as nbc does with the premier league.

Love this league, the intensity and atmosphere created by the fans is awesome. Sadly, Bayern will probably coast to the title yet again but the games are super enjoyable.

Portland Frog

“Report: Zinedine Zidane 'Expects' Manchester United Offer If Jose Mourinho Goes” - Bleacher Report

Couldn’t get the mobile article to paste but the headline is enough to get the point.

dawg

“Report: Zinedine Zidane 'Expects' Manchester United Offer If Jose Mourinho Goes” - Bleacher Report

Couldn’t get the mobile article to paste but the headline is enough to get the point.

Wow... At the time of his appointment, I thought what is Madrid thinking? Dude’s unproven. Then he won the Champions League his first season. So I thought he just steered an insanely talented team without crashing it into the wall. Then Zizou won the CL the next two seasons. Something no one had done since the 70s and certainly not in the current CL format. Zidane handled the insane pressure from Perez, the insane Madrid media and the fans, along with the insane egos of the players, at the world’s most insane club. Then picked the perfect time to “mic drop.”

Why did I write all that? To say that I think Zidane is a damn good manager and would be a great hire for ManU. Which I hate because I hate ManU.

Last edited:

Chongo94

Wow... At the fine of his appointment, I thought what is Madrid thinking? Dude’s unproven. Then he won the Champions League his first season. So I thought he just steered an insanely talented team without crashing it into the wall. Then Zizou won the CL the next two seasons. Something no one had done since the 70s and certainly not in the current CL format. Zidane handled the insane pressure from Perez, the insane Madrid media and the fans, along with the insane egos of the players, at the world’s most insane club. Then picked the perfect time to “mic drop.”

Why did I write all that? To say that I think Zidane is a damn good manager and would be a great hire for ManU. Which I hate because I hate ManU.

Agreed.