• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Portland Frog

There hasn't been an all England final in the UCL since 2007/08 with MU v Chelsea. Way to go EPL! (I guess, although some here aren't happy lol).

dawg

I’ll give Spurs and Poch and Levy credit to make it to the final after not buying a single player. That’s impressive.

Wenger and Kroenke did their damndest to do the same thing year after year but failed. All they did was kill a club instead.

scheissing Kroenke... scheiss that [ mother farger ], with barbed wire and chalk. The past two nights showcased squads full of resiliency, “we ain’t losing this match” attitude, and intestinal fortitude. Everything Arsenal lack. Well, one Arsenal player had those qualities, and of course he’s being allowed to leave for free. The rot at Arsenal runs deep. A top four place was laid out on a silver platter, and they display all the backbone of a garden slug. Blown away by clubs battling relegation. Completely lacking any stomach for a fight. Ugh. I’m expecting them to go through tomorrow, then pee down their leg at the sight of Chelsea in Baku. Then they’ll buy another winger and midfielder or three over the summer, all while their back line is eaiser to score on than a €10 hooker in Amsterdam. /beatingheadondesk.gif

All respect to Spurs, though. Like you said, I think Levy’s net transfer spend the past two seasons is £0, or very close to it. I think what they accomplished was in a way more difficult than what Liverpool did. Yes, Barca has Messi, but they also have a recent history of getting blasted in away legs. Spurs also had to score three without conceding, but they had to do so in 45 mins on the road, whereas ‘Pool had 90 and were at home.

dawg

I don't disagree that Liverpool should be prohibitive favorites in the final, but holy darn if I won't move mountains to see them lose.

Also disagree with the "glorified EPL match" take. If it were City and Chelsea I'd be right there with you, but Spurs has had very little expectation to be here in the last couple decades and the same goes for Liverpool until this season. It's certainly an EPL match-up, but it's bringing fresh faces for our consumption. Plus, SPURS!

You know the FA is doing back flips after the last two days.

Agreed. The Final should be entertaining and I’m watching. Both clubs play an attacking, pressing style, and there’s the difference that they’re playing for the biggest prize in club football (not just three points). Liverpool won both fixtures 2-1 this season, but that won’t matter. I don't think the familiarity will breed caution in this case: both sides will be desperate to win a European Cup and are built to attack. No buses will get parked. No UFC takedowns will get performed. Besides, it’s our last footy for three months.

Chongo94

Agreed. The Final should be entertaining and I’m watching. Both clubs play an attacking, pressing style, and there’s the difference that they’re playing for the biggest prize in club football (not just three points). Liverpool won both fixtures 2-1 this season, but that won’t matter. I don't think the familiarity will breed caution in this case: both sides will be desperate to win a European Cup and are built to attack. No buses will get parked. No UFC takedowns will get performed. Besides, it’s our last footy for three months.

I agree with all you said. I just still can’t get over the familiarity aspect. I didn’t like the all Spanish finals either. It just doesn’t offer up the cachet of a true Champions League final for me. Still, it probably will be a fun game aesthetically speaking,

Europa League very well could be an all English game as well. That’s Arsenal’s only hope at this point but I share your sentiments completely from the earlier post.

Purp

I agree with all you said. I just still can’t get over the familiarity aspect. I didn’t like the all Spanish finals either. It just doesn’t offer up the cachet of a true Champions League final for me. Still, it probably will be a fun game aesthetically speaking,

UEFA Cup very well could be an all English game as well. That’s Arsenal’s only hope at this point but I share your sentiments completely from the earlier post.
FIFY

dawg

Emery continues his mastery of the Europa League. I'll admit to being nervous about this one, but Auba with a hat trick has played a great match and the usual backline calamities haven't materialized.

Napoli (second in Serie A) and Valencia (fifth in La Liga)? No problem. But Everton, Leicester City, Wolves, Brighton, Crystal Palace? No chance. It's baffling how Arsenal have performed distinctly worse in the EPL the past few months vs Europe. Perhaps if Chelsea go through (currently 1-1 and looking like ET) Emery can give his players special contact lenses that make them see the Chelsea players in Napoli or Valencia kits.

Chongo94

David Luiz just stopped a certain goal for Frankfurt. Pulling for Eintracht here.

Game is on one of the Spanish channels.

Chongo94

Azpilicueta misses his. Frankfurt defender with a chance to win it hits his penalty right at Kepa who saves it. Horrid penalty.

Kepa saves the next one. Chelsea hits their last one, Hazard naturally, so Arsenal vs Chelsea in the final.

Frankfurt crumbled, gag.

Purp

Azpilicueta misses his. Frankfurt defender with a chance to win it hits his penalty right at Kepa who saves it. Horrid penalty.

Kepa saves the next one. Chelsea hits their last one, Hazard naturally, so Arsenal vs Chelsea in the final.

Chelsea advanced, gag.
FIFY again.

dawg

Frankfurt crumbled, gag.

That was brutal for Frankfurt; had a penalty to win and it was saved. Brutal for that dude.

From an Arsenal standpoint, I think (given the recent Europe vs league form) we would have fared better against Eintracht. Split with Chelsea, won 2-0 and lost 3-2, but who knows. I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst. The two clubs are physically separated 7.2 miles (lest we think DFW traffic is bad, Google currently estimates it would take 45 minutes to travel from Stamford Bridge to The Emirates). Its 2400k miles to Baku for this London derby.

Chongo94

That was brutal for Frankfurt; had a penalty to win and it was saved. Brutal for that dude.

From an Arsenal standpoint, I think (given the recent Europe vs league form) we would have fared better against Eintracht. Split with Chelsea, won 2-0 and lost 3-2, but who knows. I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst. The two clubs are physically separated 7.2 miles (lest we think DFW traffic is bad, Google currently estimates it would take 45 minutes to travel from Stamford Bridge to The Emirates). Its 2400k miles to Baku for this London derby.

Agreed. Add in, as you mentioned previously, we seem to do well away outside the EPL but this is an EPL opponent at a neutral site....who knows which Arsenal will show up.

I’d go insane with that kind of traffic. I heard on some show yesterday that in terms of direct flights from London to Baku, they only offer one per week. It would take people 57 hours to drive that distance supposedly, should they want to.

tcujsauce

Big day in the Bundesliga that results in an even bigger day to come next Saturday. Unfortunately Bayern and RB Leipzig draw level, and Dortmund put up a 3-2 W over Düsseldorf in quite the dramatic match.

Bayern takes a 2 point lead (and +17 GD) heading into the final week next Saturday. Also the final match at Allianz for the Robbery duo.

Bayern v. Eintracht Frankfurt 8:30a Saturday
Dortmund v. Mönchengladbach 8:30a Saturday

Upper 90 next Saturday, y’all put on some red and come have fun.

Auf gehts Ihr Roten!

Chongo94

I’ve been able to find the championship playoffs audio and listening to Leeds vs Derby.

Leeds ahead by 1. Sounds pretty contentious among the fans, the commentators have pointed out a few scuffles and right “argie bartie” behavior apparently.

Purp

Big day in the Bundesliga that results in an even bigger day to come next Saturday. Unfortunately Bayern and RB Leipzig draw level, and Dortmund put up a 3-2 W over Düsseldorf in quite the dramatic match.

Bayern takes a 2 point lead (and +17 GD) heading into the final week next Saturday. Also the final match at Allianz for the Robbery duo.

Bayern v. Eintracht Frankfurt 8:30a Saturday
Dortmund v. Mönchengladbach 8:30a Saturday

Upper 90 next Saturday, y’all put on some red and come have fun.

Auf gehts Ihr Roten!
Come on Dortmund!

dawg

This seemed to fly under the radar a bit...

Schalke hire former Huddersfield Town manager David Wagner
http://www.espn.com/soccer/schalke-...former-huddersfield-town-manager-david-wagner

You follow the Bundesliga more than I do...Schalke are one of the “big” clubs, are they not? Wagner way overachieved in getting Huddersfield to the Premier League. Then he did an even better job in keeping a squad of Championship players up despise the club (some might say wisely) not making a slew of signings after promotion. Seems like a good manager; glad he’s getting another shot.