• The KillerFrogs

2018 TCU Tennis Thread

TCUdirtbag

Bracket: https://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/tennis-men/d1

Frogs start with Utah State in the round of 64, with a W would face Dartmouth/Oregon in the round of 32, with a W would face (8) Illinois/Vanderbilt/Drake/Marquette in the round of 16, with another W would likely face (1) Wake Forest or (16) Columbia in the national quarterfinals for a spot in the Naional semifinals.

In the quadrant ours pairs with in the semis, the top seeds are (4) Stanford, (5) A&M, (12) Florida State and (13) Florida. On the other side of the bracket, the National seeds are (2) UCLA, (3) Ohio State, (6) Mississippi State, (7) UNC, (10) USC, (11) Texas, (14) Oklahoma, and (15) Michigan

Oklahoma State Texas Tech and Baylor are also in the field of 64, putting all 6 Big 12 programs in the field with 3 hosting in the first 2 rounds.

Last edited:

Purp

Bracket: https://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/tennis-men/d1

Frogs start with Utah State in the round of 64, with a W would face Dartmouth/Oregon in the round of 32, with a W would face (8) Illinois/Vanderbilt/Drake/Marquette in the round of 16, with another W would likely face (1) Wake Forest or (16) Columbia in the national quarterfinals for a spot in the Naional semifinals.

In the quadrant ours pairs with in the semis, the top seeds are (4) Stanford, (5) A&M, (12) Florida State and (13) Florida. On the other side of the bracket, the National seeds are (2) UCLA, (3) Ohio State, (6) Mississippi State, (7) UNC, (10) USC, (11) Texas, (14) Oklahoma, and (15) Michigan

Oklahoma State Texas Tech and Baylor are also in the field of 64, putting all 6 Big 12 programs in the field with 3 hosting in the first 2 rounds.
How did we do in the conference tourney?

Longfrog

Frogs start NCAAs tomorrow at 1 vs Utah State, where they will try to bounce back from a disappointing loss to Baylor in the Big 12 tournament. I blame myself for that one, as I was out of the country and unable to follow it live. That was some bad news to wake up to. Nunez lost his second straight match at #3 singles. He's now won only 1 of his last 5, with two that were halted in the 3rd set. Prior to that he'd won 8 in a row. Gray had to default at #4, and not for the first time this year. I hope he's well but he's becoming the tennis version of Jonathan Song. And we've all three matches at #6 singles since Kruger has been out. I don't know his status either.

They'll match up against Utah State, the Mountain West champs. They actually beat us last year at home in the Kickoff Weekend, which is the prelude to the national indoor tournament (U. of San Diego did the same to us this year). That loss put a major dent in our ranking/seeding for NCAAs last year. We should certainly win, but you never know. Winner gets the winner of #27 Dartmouth / #33 Oregon.

Longfrog

Well the good news is we won 4-1 and advanced to play Oregon tomorrow. But it wasn't exactly pretty. Notably, both gray and kruger were out as feared. As a result we lost at #5 and looked headed for a loss at #6. Tomorrow looks like it could be a challenge as Oregon won easily today.

Meanwhile, it's been a disaster of a tournament for the big 12 so far. The season's already over for OU (lost to Minnesota?!), OSU (Harvard?!), Baylor (A&M), and Tech (San Diego). UT rolled through their first two rounds. They will be a handful for #6 Miss St.

Longfrog

Fyi - Gray is done for season. Any hopes of winning a NC are likely gone, but hoping to make some noise still

Yeah that's not gonna help. I think we still have an outside shot against Illinois on Friday given how well we're playing in doubles and the strength of our top 4. But Wake was always going to be a long shot, and now...

Still should be fun to watch the seniors plus Rybakov for as long as it lasts. Those four really have had a great season.

Longfrog

Also, there is an alternate universe where Cam stays for his senior season and Gray is healthy all year. Pretty sure that team is winning the title.

Longfrog

TCU - Illinois is underway. Looks like we are up a break on court 2 and on serve on 1 & 3. Good news potentially as is looks like Kruger is back playing at #5 singles. We shall see.

Earlier Texas lost 4-1 to Miss State. It was closer than that as they lost a couple 3 setters and had two more on the court. But we're now the last big 12 member in the tournament.

Pharm Frog

TCU - Illinois is underway. Looks like we are up a break on court 2 and on serve on 1 & 3. Good news potentially as is looks like Kruger is back playing at #5 singles. We shall see.

Earlier Texas lost 4-1 to Miss State. It was closer than that as they lost a couple 3 setters and had two more on the court. But we're now the last big 12 member in the tournament.

My stats are showing Roldan on #5