• The KillerFrogs

2018 TCU Tennis Thread

Pharm Frog

It may look like a blowout but it was actually worse

Like this?

Gilmour-Girls-Scoreboard-STACK.png

ftwfrog

Please explain.
It’s amazing what we’ve done with the last few matches. We haven’t just won, we’ve destroyed teams.

4-0 could still be close if a few of the matches went to the 3rd set or if each set was lost 6-4; 7-5.

On Sunday, I didn’t see the doubles point because I was about 15 minutes late (aka, there was free booze, tacos & beer in the parking lot as Coach Roditi alluded to). We won the doubles points 6-2 and 6-3 which is about the closest OSU came all day to earning a point.

When singles started, 4 of our first sets were won 6-1. And a lot of those games were 40-15 or 40-love. There is beating other players and then there is making your opponent look silly. I was watching Nunez, who won his first set 6-1, and he was playing with his food.

Of the 3 matches we needed and won on Sunday, none went to a third set.

...and that was against the #11 team in the country.

LoudFrog

It’s amazing what we’ve done with the last few matches. We haven’t just won, we’ve destroyed teams.

4-0 could still be close if a few of the matches went to the 3rd set or if each set was lost 6-4; 7-5.

On Sunday, I didn’t see the doubles point because I was about 15 minutes late (aka, there was free booze, tacos & beer in the parking lot as Coach Roditi alluded to). We won the doubles points 6-2 and 6-3 which is about the closest OSU came all day to earning a point.

When singles started, 4 of our first sets were won 6-1. And a lot of those games were 40-15 or 40-love. There is beating other players and then there is making your opponent look silly. I was watching Nunez, who won his first set 6-1, and he was playing with his food.

Of the 3 matches we needed and won on Sunday, none went to a third set.

...and that was against the #11 team in the country.
There will be more free tailgating on Thursday. Come out for happy hour and watch the Frogs try to clinch a share of the conference championship versus Baylor on Thursday!

Jared7

To be fair, Oklahoma State was playing without their star - Julian Cash - and their new #1, Artur Dubinski, clearly pulled something in their match against Texas on Friday; he was limping all around the court (and whining and grimacing) against Ito and ultimately retired. So they were #11 in name only and look to be on their last legs. Plus they had played all but 3 matches at home and their biggest road W was at Arkansas. And Texas had walloped them 4-0 on Friday as easily as we won.

TCU is now 3-0, Texas 2-1; OU 2-2, OSU 2-2; Baylor 1-2 and Tech 0-3 in the Big12 standings. We would have to lose to both Baylor and Tech in order not to be the top seed in the conference tourney and win our 3rd consecutive Big12 regular season championship. College Tennis Ranks projects TCU as 6th in tomorrow's ITA rankings. We've won 10 straight doubles points and 10 straight matches - we're 16-3 and peaking. Thursday is Senior Day and we'll be honoring Trevor Johnson and Guillermo Nunez. We had over 1500 against OU and 1000+ against OSU - I hope we do better when we beat Baylor. Then, we'll wrap up the regular season at Tech. The Big12 tourney is in Austin.

Jared7

The new ITA rankings are out and TCU is 6th - our highest ranking of the year! Wake is #1, then UCLA, Ohio State, Stanford, A&M, TCU, UNC, Illinois, Mississippi State and Florida. I could go into a lengthy explanation of the Top 9 W's, with loss points, extra points for a road W etc... but I'd rather ignore that we're ranked above Illinois and UNC (who we lost to) and focus on our H2H W at College Station over the Aggies! It's an OUTRAGE that we're ranked below A&M!! Break up the ITA!! Who devised this formula - Roy Kramer??!! SEC bias!!

Longfrog

Well, we'd be #4 right now if we hadn't lost to San Diego. Of course, that would have altered our schedule too, with us likely qualifying for indoors. No telling how that would have affected things.

As we get closer to nationals, it seems pretty clear that we're going to face one of the top 3 teams (Wake, UCLA, Ohio State) in the quarters, if we're able to get there. That means we may well have to go through all 3 to win the tournament. Not real likely, but i look forward to seeing them try. And in the meantime, we can all enjoy our continued dominance over the big 12.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Well, we'd be #4 right now if we hadn't lost to San Diego. Of course, that would have altered our schedule too, with us likely qualifying for indoors. No telling how that would have affected things.

As we get closer to nationals, it seems pretty clear that we're going to face one of the top 3 teams (Wake, UCLA, Ohio State) in the quarters, if we're able to get there. That means we may well have to go through all 3 to win the tournament. Not real likely, but i look forward to seeing them try. And in the meantime, we can all enjoy our continued dominance over the big 12.
When we get to that point those three teams will be worried about having to go through us.