• The KillerFrogs

2018 TCU BASEBALL SEASON THREAD

Moose Stuff

Baseball players are draft eligible after their junior year (a few after their sophomore year) so on programs that consistently recruit talented players you don’t see that many seniors.

Not a big impact most years at TCU. Cost us Wade and Skoug this year. Next year could be different with Baker, Janczak, Feltman, and Wymer all being possible losses. Also wouldn’t be at all surprised if two of those four returned.

The main reasons IMO are .... (1) Kids want to play, so the ones who aren’t tend to transfer and (2) With limited scholarships the staff really can’t afford to keep a kid around who isn’t performing. So basically the kids who aren’t contributing either figure it out on their own or the staff suggests it for them. With the steep price of attending TCU it’s not real hard to get a kid to look elsewhere in these situations.

Last edited:

Punter1

Not a big impact most years at TCU. Cost us Wade and Skoug this year. Next year could be different with Baker, Janczak, Feltman, and Wymer all being possible losses. Also wouldn’t be at all surprised if two of those four returned.

The main reasons IMO are .... (1) Kids want to play, so the ones who aren’t tend to transfer and (2) With limited scholarships the staff really can’t afford to keep a kid around who isn’t performing. So basically the kids who aren’t contributing either figure it out on their own or the staff suggests it for them. With the steep price of attending TCU it’s not real hard to get a kid to look elsewhere in these situations.

I would love to have even 1 of those 4 back but I'll put the over/under at 1 and I'll take the under.

Baker, Wymer and Feltman should all be Top 10 round picks and that means theyre 90% gone and JJ is a 4th year junior. He is the only one I see coming back at all and I think that's 50-50 at best.

Moose Stuff

I would love to have even 1 of those 4 back but I'll put the over/under at 1 and I'll take the under.

Baker, Wymer and Feltman should all be Top 10 round picks and that means theyre 90% gone and JJ is a 4th year junior. He is the only one I see coming back at all and I think that's 50-50 at best.

90% is probably a little high. TCU juniors rarely sign cheap. Just depends on what they’re all looking for. In JJ’s case I would think the biggest factor would be whether he’s graduating this spring or not.

Pharm Frog

Why in the world would he transfer there? Grades?

Good guess. Or...unhappy with coaches. He’s from Corpus so he’s not going home. I think this also makes it possible to get drafted sooner (not sure about that). Ordinarily I’d make a comment about Lubbock here but Midland ain’t exactly an alluring destination.

Moose Stuff

Good guess. Or...unhappy with coaches. He’s from Corpus so he’s not going home. I think this also makes it possible to get drafted sooner (not sure about that). Ordinarily I’d make a comment about Lubbock here but Midland ain’t exactly an alluring destination.

7/17/1997 DOB which would have made him an age eligible sophomore this year had he stayed at Tech. Cutoff for that is 7/21 so he just barely sneaks in.

Pharm Frog

7/17/1997 DOB which would have made him an age eligible sophomore this year had he stayed at Tech. Cutoff for that is 7/21 so he just barely sneaks in.

So scratch that as a reason. I know a kid that did that from another Big 12 school a couple of years ago. I could probably figure out the reason but equally probable that I wouldn’t post it if I did.

Moose Stuff

So scratch that as a reason. I know a kid that did that from another Big 12 school a couple of years ago. I could probably figure out the reason but equally probable that I wouldn’t post it if I did.

Yeah, a starter for a preseason top 5 team doesn’t leave for a mediocre JUCO for any good reason.

Moose Stuff

Is Midland mediocre now? Been a long time since I’ve paid attention to Texas juco. Pretty familiar with OK and KS jucos. Howard still salty?

Maybe a little better than mediocre. Losing David Coleman doesn’t help. Ditto for Howard who just isn’t the same with J Bob in Lubbock and former HC Britt Smith working for Perfect Game now. Never understood how anyone ever decided Big Spring was the place to be in the first place.