• The KillerFrogs

2018 TCU BASEBALL SEASON THREAD

Pharm Frog

Not sure WVU winning in Kansas really does anything measurable for us. We play WVU at home and KU-WVU is nearly a wash in our opponent’s and opponent’s opponents RPI math - which 6 of 8 conference series in is almost totally set in already. The deal with a WVU is we need to sweep them for the same reason we need to sweep Lamar. Those have to be Ws because the difference in going 3-0 in both series instead of 2-1 in both is the difference in going 4.2-0 and 2.8-2.6 in RPI math, which is just huge.

We need to be big fans of whoever is playing RPI 40-64 teams (so opponents of UNLV, Kent State, College of Charleston, Louisiana Lafayette, Missouri State, Arizona, Michigan, LSU, Iowa, Purdue, South Alabam, LA Tech, Georgia Tech, Houston, South Carolina, Creighton, San Diego State, St. John’s, SHSU).

True...but not worried about Eers winning as much as I am about them losing. Although losing road games isn't as RPI destructive as losing home games, I figure they'd drop into the mid-40's or so (if they are swept) depending on how others perform this coming weekend. We do need them to stay in the Top 50 which is a good bet under most any circumstances. Noteworthy -- Since the beginning of our abbreviated series, Kansas had lost 10 consecutive games until they beat Missouri State last night and it jumped them up 18 RPI points.

It's all pretty much a moot point unless and until we win every remaining game in the regular season with the possible exception of dropping one in Austin. And then I still think we'd need three or more wins in the conference tourney depending on who were draw in that tourney.

• UNLV closes with San Jose (186) and Nevada (83) at home and Fresno on the road (138)
  • Kent closes with Bowling Green (277) and EMU (200) at home and Miami of Ohio (183) on the road
  • Charleston is almost done. Get Towson (264) and UNCW (120) in road series. Have single games against South Carolina (neutral) and Citadel (269)
  • Louisiana closes with series against Coastal (24) and ULM (198) at home and Texas State (132) and a single game against Tulane (75)
I'll get more later but there's a good chance that some of these teams may drop some home games to some very poor RPI teams (like we did to ACU). In fairness, the same might be said for TCU this weekend.

TCUdirtbag

True...but not worried about Eers winning as much as I am about them losing. Although losing road games isn't as RPI destructive as losing home games, I figure they'd drop into the mid-40's or so (if they are swept) depending on how others perform this coming weekend. We do need them to stay in the Top 50 which is a good bet under most any circumstances. Noteworthy -- Since the beginning of our abbreviated series, Kansas had lost 10 consecutive games until they beat Missouri State last night and it jumped them up 18 RPI points.

It's all pretty much a moot point unless and until we win every remaining game in the regular season with the possible exception of dropping one in Austin. And then I still think we'd need three or more wins in the conference tourney depending on who were draw in that tourney.

• UNLV closes with San Jose (186) and Nevada (83) at home and Fresno on the road (138)
  • Kent closes with Bowling Green (277) and EMU (200) at home and Miami of Ohio (183) on the road
  • Charleston is almost done. Get Towson (264) and UNCW (120) in road series. Have single games against South Carolina (neutral) and Citadel (269)
  • Louisiana closes with series against Coastal (24) and ULM (198) at home and Texas State (132) and a single game against Tulane (75)
I'll get more later but there's a good chance that some of these teams may drop some home games to some very poor RPI teams (like we did to ACU). In fairness, the same might be said for TCU this weekend.

Agree it’s all moot unless we win out save maybe 1 loss in Austin. If that happens I actually don’t think we have to win 3-4 in OKC. But winning 1-2 is probably a must, so worth keeping an eye on conference standings to see who we’d face. We really don’t want to have to face UT again right after the series in Austin or OSU or Tech right out the gate. Would rather see Baylor or WVU

Pharm Frog

This WVU team is not the same team that started conference play.They weren't pitching or hitting well then.They have really put it all together since the UNLV series.Looking for a strong finish into the conference tourney.

And a single loss at KU today dropped them 8 spots in RPI.

TCUdirtbag

Frogs start the day with an RPI of 64.

No midweek game this week so we can empty the available bullpen to make sure we don’t commit season suicide.

Today is a must-win.

Rockhound

So Tech mocks UT Baseball last week before the big series in Lubbock and Tech does what Tech does best and loses 2 out of 3. They will never learn.

FBallFan123

Interesting article by the AP, that prominently features Evan Skoug.

Won't post the entire thing here, but below is the link and the into.....

Advisers aid baseball prospects, might do same in basketball
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5ec8f0803d83

Washington Post said:
Evan Skoug had a decision to make his senior year of high school in 2014: go pro or go to college?

He was rated the No. 1 prospect in Illinois for the Major League Baseball draft that year, and he had signed a letter of intent to play catcher at TCU.

Skoug ended up going to TCU, but not before he and his family weighed the pros and cons with and had many conversations with an adviser.

“It was good for me to have someone there to help me through the professional process because nobody in my family has played professionally and nobody knows the industry,” Skoug said this week. “It was nice to have somebody invested in the sports industry, invested in myself, there to help me make the correct informed decision.”

TCURiggs

Was my question as well. Find it the highest form of South Plains ironie for them to do something like that when the obvious response to end all responses is simply “Lubbock”.

We were giving the Tech bullpen some grief during the Sunday game as it was almost over, and my buddy told them "Sucks you have to go back to Lubbock, but at least it's better than Waco!" and one of the bullpen guys looked at us and gave the back-and-forth "kind of" hand signal. Cracked us up.

Purp

We were giving the Tech bullpen some grief during the Sunday game as it was almost over, and my buddy told them "Sucks you have to go back to Lubbock, but at least it's better than Waco!" and one of the bullpen guys looked at us and gave the back-and-forth "kind of" hand signal. Cracked us up.
That pitcher way over-estimates Waco.

Pharm Frog

Relatively few games tonight but here’s some things happening (or not happening)

Houston canceled its midweek game against SFA today. RPI protective move. Will TCU do the same next week even though it’s a road game?

Nevada playing San Francisco tonight. Hoping for a Pack Home loss. Tied at 0 in the 3rd.

Purdue playing a 10-30 IPFW tonight. Would be nice to see a Boiler loss but not likely.

Creighton home against Huskers. Need a Jay loss.

S Alabama at #6 Auburn tonight. Low upside for Frogs with an Auburn win but downside for sure with a S Alabama win.

DBU at Tech tonight. Mixed bag because of common opponents factor. Generally would prefer a DBU loss but will need some additional losses by Patriots as well (and they do close with a series against Missouri State but they are ahead of the Frogs as well)

Sam home against Rice. Go Owls.

Pharm Frog

DBU up on Tech 5-1 in the 3rd

Nevada appears like it will defeat San Fran easily (up 6-0 in T9)

Purdue in a nail-biter with ICPW up 18-3 in the 7th

Rice up on Sam 3-1 in the 3rd

Pharm Frog

TCU has a winning % of .600 and is has the worst RPI of any Power 5 conference member with a .600+ record (although a couple of teams are close). Every SEC team except for one has a better RPI than the Frogs. Only last place Alabama is worse and Tenn is close.

Meanwhile, Sam has come back to tie Rice at 3 in the 7th.

Pharm Frog

Not a great night overall for the Frogs. DBU beats Tech in Lubbock and moves up 11 spots. Creighton goes on the road and beats Nebraska....move up 5 spots. Baylor beats Prairie View tonight 18-1 and drops 6 spots. They play again tomorrow. Should have canceled those two games. But if Baylor drops a couple of more spots it will make our record against the Top 50 look a little better but also make that sweep look worse. Rice did score twice in the 9th to beat Sam and that dropped Sam 5 spots. Big 12 now the 3rd highest rated conference.

Frogs at #67.