• The KillerFrogs

2018 MLB Thread

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
Awesome game in the Bronx today! Yanks trailing 4-0 in the 8th get 3 runs. Tie it up in the 9th, before Torres hits a 3-run walk-off homer. Win 7-4.
Swept the Indians.

FBallFan123

This happened 80 years ago. So I'll cut ya a little slack: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/featsjv.shtml

I know about Vander Meer, his name usually gets brought up the next game a pitcher has after he just threw a no-hitter.

That's why I saw two of the greatest...not the two greatest.

But what Paxton just did....a 16 K game and then a no-hitter.

I mean, Vander Meer was great and all for two starts, but he only had 11 K's combined those two games....sabremetricians these days would call that weak!

Maybe Tim Kurkjian or someone will have a better example of two of great consecutive games pitched other than the Vander Meer example....I just don't know of one.

Zubaz

After being DFA'd on Friday, Harvey has been traded to the Reds.

Whatever his issues are, they weren't going to be solved in Queens. It's both sad and inevitable.

FBallFan123

After being DFA'd on Friday, Harvey has been traded to the Reds.

Whatever his issues are, they weren't going to be solved in Queens. It's both sad and inevitable.

I just wonder how much of Harvey's downfall comes down to him doing too much in that 2015 season after he came back from Tommy John Surgery.

He logged 189 innings in the regular season and then the Mets had that deep run to the World Series where he threw 26 high-stress innings in the playoffs....including that heart-breaking loss to the Royals in game 5 when he came back out for the 9th inning.

Compare that to the Nationals, who were more protective of Stephen Strasburg with the early public declaration of an innings limit when he came back from TJS.

But you can't blame everything that has happened in Harvey's career on that....he hast to take the blame for some of the off-field stuff that suggests he lacks some dedication and seriousness for his profession.

Zubaz

I just wonder how much of Harvey's downfall comes down to him doing too much in that 2015 season after he came back from Tommy John Surgery.

He logged 189 innings in the regular season and then the Mets had that deep run to the World Series where he threw 26 high-stress innings in the playoffs....including that heart-breaking loss to the Royals in game 5 when he came back out for the 9th inning.

Compare that to the Nationals, who were more protective of Stephen Strasburg with the early public declaration of an innings limit when he came back from TJS.

But you can't blame everything that has happened in Harvey's career on that....he hast to take the blame for some of the off-field stuff that suggests he lacks some dedication and seriousness for his profession.
I honestly think his issues are mostly mental. The physical toll that Tommy John in 2014 and then season ending surgery in 2016 and 2017 cost him some of his power, but I think a ton of his problems started, as you said, in Game 5 of the World Series. He's never been the same after that.

Zubaz

I'm just excited the Mets got something for him rather than having to outright release him. And a big league catcher at that! Their season has really gone off the rails since Rivera and D'Arnaud were both lost right around the same time, having someone competent behind the plate is a major step up.