• The KillerFrogs

2018 Cheez-it Bowl Game Thread

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
GOOD NEWS! In case you want to see it again, or record it, ESPNU is showing a 2.5 hour version at 2am.
I set my DVR.

edit: Or is it at 7:30 tomorrow morning? My guide is confusing.

Last edited:

Mean Purple

GOOD NEWS! In case you want to see it again, or record it, ESPNU is showing a 2.5 hour version at 2am.
I set my DVR.

edit: Or is it at 7:30 tomorrow morning? My guide is confusing.
Thanks, will record. A win is a win. And I liked seeing Sewo, the o-line, the defense and Song do good things. And the seniors went out with a win.

FrogLifeYo

Very happy to win and looking forward to the next season. And yet, Cumbie and GP need to learn from this game.

1. You need to abandon pass/run balance when only one is working. Stubbornly adhering to a philosophy when the game situation dictates otherwise is hubris. Had we keyed on the run game as he should have, we win this game by the middle of the 4th quarter.

2. GP is way too risk averse to be making go for it or when to kick decisions. He needs to abdicate these decisions to someone else. Maybe not Cumbie but someone else. It hurts us more than it helps because his defensive tendencies means he will take less risks and whenever he has any degree of fear, he will go extremely conservative and create situations like the first field goal attempt that was missed. How we managed that series of plays was as much the coach's fault as it was Bunce for the missed field goal attempt.

3. What in the world is GP thinking yelling at our kicker right before he kicks a field goal? If he can't control his emotions, he should not be yelling at any offensive players in key situations. Also, how there was any confusion on who would kick in the first place is another sign of a coaching failure. There should have been no confusion whatsoever on that.

4. Why didn't we see the emergence of a #2 receiver? This has been an issue all season long and Cumbie was still giving several more weeks of practice to help find someone to offset Reagor. Yet, we could not develop him. Maybe you can place some blame on Muelstein but really a lot of that has to fall on the receivers and Cumbie. We can't let that happen again because it just means if Reagor were to get hurt, we suddenly have no passing game.

5. TCU probably needs to look at taking an extra RB on scholly going forward. We were way too thin this season and without Sewo we lose this game and maybe the last one as well. With coaching philosophies and other coaching errors, we must assume that we will again need to rely on RBs at some point or another. Best way to combat that is to recruit an extra RB. Of course, this year might be more extreme because we lost Turpin mid season and Kenedy Snell.

I'm sure there is more but most of these are things that need to get improved upon if we are to become a championship team.
# 4 has been an issue for 4 years

Wexahu

2. GP is way too risk averse to be making go for it or when to kick decisions. He needs to abdicate these decisions to someone else.

I agree but this is a situational deal and with the way last night's game was going I didn't have much of a problem with him punting on 4th and inches from the 50. In almost any other game, yes, but not last night.

BABYFACE

which means nothing, really, without a quantification of how much more of their product is sold as a direct result.
Yes and no, imo.

They got a lot of extra exposure without the cost of extra advertising outside of the sponsorship cost. The flip is how effective was that advertising in increasing sales. Kind of like Coca Cola. Everyone knows what a Coke is and most likely has had one. Seeing an advertisement thru traditional media vehicles or social media will remind those about Coke. A percentage of those will go out by a Coke as a repeat buy. I imagine a large chunk of the population has had a Cheez-It. While most advertising tries to reach new buyers, it mainly is reminding current customers to repurchase their product.

Salfrog

Tier 1
So jealous.... Mal Pais, Arenal, Jaco? Costa Rica is my happy place.

Pura Vida!

I am in San Jose. I'm here for business for a week. The company I'm here to do work for has a company house that I'm staying in. It is an awesome 2 story villa in a gated community. I love here also as this is my 5th time here. I would love to move here to retire.

giphy.gif

Frog Art

Yes and no, imo.

They got a lot of extra exposure without the cost of extra advertising outside of the sponsorship cost. The flip is how effective was that advertising in increasing sales. Kind of like Coca Cola. Everyone knows what a Coke is and most likely has had one. Seeing an advertisement thru traditional media vehicles or social media will remind those about Coke. A percentage of those will go out by a Coke as a repeat buy. I imagine a large chunk of the population has had a Cheez-It. While most advertising tries to reach new buyers, it mainly is reminding current customers to repurchase their product.

My daughter in the band came home last night disappointed that they didn’t even get one Cheez-it. They were fed apples instead She had a great time regardless of the snacking options and Cheez-its will always be a major player in her food rotation!

BABYFACE

My daughter in the band came home last night disappointed that they didn’t even get one Cheez-it. They were fed apples instead She had a great time regardless of the snacking options and Cheez-its will always be a major player in her food rotation!

Missed promo opportunity for Cheez-it. Everyone in that stadium should had a bag of Cheez-it’s. I would also have made sure plenty of Cheez-it’s available at team hotel, band and university officials. I also would have sent a few cases of Cheez-it’s to the TCU FB office and TCU admin building 2 weeks before the game. Promotion typically is much cheaper than advertising and usually more effective.