• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Purp

Spurs look like trash lately. Brighton & Hove had them on the ropes until a cushion goal against the run of play. Too much talent to perform like this the past few weeks.

Chongo94

Spurs look like trash lately. Brighton & Hove had them on the ropes until a cushion goal against the run of play. Too much talent to perform like this the past few weeks.

Seems to be some serious choppy ripples over there...won’t call them waves just yet but something’s clearly not smooth over there.

Chongo94

It’s “Englische Woche” in the Bundesliga this week. Bayern drew with Augsburg today and Schalke, wow, 5 defeats straight now with Freiburg beating them today. Hoffenheim took down Hannover. Bremen beat Hertha, a bit of a little surprise there maybe.

Tomorrow on tv has Leverkusen vs Düsseldorf and Nürnberg vs Dortmund.

Also, Kate Abdo all day, ‘err day.
1118full-kate-abdo.jpg

dawg

Is it a World Cup hangover? Other sides adjusting to their style? Early season funk? Admittedly, I haven't seen any of their matches...

Chongo94

Is it a World Cup hangover? Other sides adjusting to their style? Early season funk? Admittedly, I haven't seen any of their matches...

There are some rumors starting to float around that some players have become annoyed lately at Pochetino’s training plans and stuff. Who knows what is the real story though.

Eight

how many freaking cups are there now?

do teams even care about the league games or do they just focus on the 17 different extended multi-national cup tournaments they have each season?

Portland Frog

how many freaking cups are there now?

do teams even care about the league games or do they just focus on the 17 different extended multi-national cup tournaments they have each season?

I think they care but there’s a clear pecking order IMO:

1) champions league
2) league trophy
3) all other trophies (various opinions on which ones have more value).

Eight

so the english football league sold the naming rights to their annual competition to a company that makes thailand's second most popular energy drink?

Portland Frog

so the english football league sold the naming rights to their annual competition to a company that makes thailand's second most popular energy drink?

Yep.

The EFL Cup (referred to historically, and colloquially, as simply the League Cup), currently known as the Carabao Cup for sponsorship reasons, is an annual knockout football competition in men's domestic English football. Organised by the English Football League (EFL), it is open to any club within the top four levels of the English football league system – 92 clubs in total – comprising the top level Premier League, and the three divisions of the English Football League's own league competition (Championship, League One and League Two).

Eight

Yep.

The EFL Cup (referred to historically, and colloquially, as simply the League Cup), currently known as the Carabao Cup for sponsorship reasons, is an annual knockout football competition in men's domestic English football. Organised by the English Football League (EFL), it is open to any club within the top four levels of the English football league system – 92 clubs in total – comprising the top level Premier League, and the three divisions of the English Football League's own league competition (Championship, League One and League Two).

i thought playing in a bowl game named after a small yard applianced was bad, but damn... this is carabao

Water, sugar, citric acid, taurine, sorbitol, sodium citrate, caffeine, inositol, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (added to preserve product quality), artificial flavors, nicotinamide (niacin), D-Panthenol, pyridoxine HCI (vitamin B6), FD&C Yellow No. 5 (Tartrazine), FD&C Red No. 40, and Vitamin B-12.

Purp

Don't think it's a WC hangover. They seem to play like TCU football the last couple weeks where they'll be decent to solid for long stretches and can't get any payoff, but then they have a couple short spurts of cognitive flatulence that results in a couple goals conceded. The trouble is they just aren't very threatening and they have too much talent to settle for such passive offensive play.

dawg

I think they care but there’s a clear pecking order IMO:

1) champions league
2) league trophy
3) all other trophies (various opinions on which ones have more value).

Good list. For Premier League teams, I'd make a slight modification and put the FA Cup at #3 and "all others" at #4. Given the Big 4 has morphed into a Big 6 (and thus two of the usual suspects will miss out on the Champions League places), I think we'll see an increased emphasis placed on the Europa League and its auto bid into the Champions League. Manchester United used it to backdoor into last season's CL, and Arsenal nearly did the same for this season's.