• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Chongo94

You follow the Bundesliga more than I do...Schalke are one of the “big” clubs, are they not? Wagner way overachieved in getting Huddersfield to the Premier League. Then he did an even better job in keeping a squad of Championship players up despise the club (some might say wisely) not making a slew of signings after promotion. Seems like a good manager; glad he’s getting another shot.

Very much one of the “big” clubs. In fact, their derby with Dortmund is arguably the biggest in Germany. They HATE each other. Their last match versus each other was crazy.

Big fan base and long but a bit rusty history. Agreed on Wagner. Interested to see how this goes and how he does at a club with some resources.

tcujsauce

Very much one of the “big” clubs. In fact, their derby with Dortmund is arguably the biggest in Germany. They HATE each other. Their last match versus each other was crazy.

Big fan base and long but a bit rusty history. Agreed on Wagner. Interested to see how this goes and how he does at a club with some resources.

A big club that narrowly escaped relegation this year.

Portland Frog

Well MC seals the deal in the EPL with Liv a close 2nd. Head and shoulders ahead of the pack are those two. A lot of ground to make up for the others.

Congrats to Tott for securing that 4th spot for UCL next year.

dawg

Well MC seals the deal in the EPL with Liv a close 2nd. Head and shoulders ahead of the pack are those two. A lot of ground to make up for the others.

Things got interesting for, like, 60 seconds before City hit two goals to take over. Ninety-seven points, one league loss, and a +67 goal difference wasn’t enough to win the title... crazy. I wonder if this fuels Liverpool next year or deflates them. The current rumor is De Ligt is reconsidering Barca and might partner with his Holland teammate Van Dijk; huge get if they can pull that off.

Hard to see any of the chasing pack really challenging City and Liverpool next year: Chelsea are under a transfer embargo, Spurs maybe, ManU seem to be a mess, and Arsenal won’t spend (scheiss you, Kroenke).

dawg

Wasn’t aware of Schalke-Dortmund. I did, however, watch about ten of those “Derby Days.” Good stuff.

Purp

dawg

Not yet. I hope they get a lifetime ban, 20 years transfer freeze, and automatic relegation to the Championship.

This, please. I’d love to see City banned, given how much they want a CL title. UEFA seems about as competent as the NCAA, so I’m not holding my breath. But that would be sweet.

tcujsauce

Things got interesting for, like, 60 seconds before City hit two goals to take over. Ninety-seven points, one league loss, and a +67 goal difference wasn’t enough to win the title... crazy. I wonder if this fuels Liverpool next year or deflates them. The current rumor is De Ligt is reconsidering Barca and might partner with his Holland teammate Van Dijk; huge get if they can pull that off.

Hard to see any of the chasing pack really challenging City and Liverpool next year: Chelsea are under a transfer embargo, Spurs maybe, ManU seem to be a mess, and Arsenal won’t spend (scheiss you, Kroenke).

There was a bit of smoke about De Ligt to Bayern before the Barca rumor took over. If Bayern ends up moving on from Kovac and brings in ten Hag, I would think it would become a three horse race between LFC, FCB, and FCB for his services.

TAINTed frog

https://deadspin.com/palermo-relegated-from-italian-second-division-due-to-s-1834751663

"This is but the latest twist in a Serie B season plighted by financial shenanigan-based catastrophe. The league had to start the season with only 19 teams instead of the usual 22, after the soccer authorities had to boot Bari, Cesena, and Avellino from the league for various financial irregularities. You might find it surprising to see just how rampant economic mismanagement and shady off-the-books dealing is at such a high level of European sporting competition if you didn’t remember that this is 1) soccer, and 2) Italy."

Purp

https://deadspin.com/palermo-relegated-from-italian-second-division-due-to-s-1834751663

"This is but the latest twist in a Serie B season plighted by financial shenanigan-based catastrophe. The league had to start the season with only 19 teams instead of the usual 22, after the soccer authorities had to boot Bari, Cesena, and Avellino from the league for various financial irregularities. You might find it surprising to see just how rampant economic mismanagement and shady off-the-books dealing is at such a high level of European sporting competition if you didn’t remember that this is 1) soccer, and 2) Italy."
Wouldn't shock me at all if Italian league officials were involved in some way. Hell, FIFA wouldn't shock me if they're involved in a lot of these nefarious dealings too. It's like the NCAA on steroids over there.

Chongo94

Did you all see this?

Report: UEFA investigators to seek Man City UCL ban

Investigators looking into allegations that Manchester City misled those conducting a financial fair play probe are reportedly seeking a one-year Champions League ban for the reigning Premier League champions, according to the New York Times.

Heard about this a while back but didn’t think it would come to anything. Gonna be interesting. I hope they get nailed. I’d like to see some, not parity per se, but some equal opportunity here. Tired of the money teams always winning.

tcujsauce

Reminder for anyone that wants to come watch some 8:30a Bundesliga title action, Upper 90 on Magnolia. Should have a decent sized group there. All are welcome (except for Purp). Hoping we can cheer on Bayern to bring home the Meisterschale for the 7th consecutive szn!

Purp

Reminder for anyone that wants to come watch some 8:30a Bundesliga title action, Upper 90 on Magnolia. Should have a decent sized group there. All are welcome (except for Purp). Hoping we can cheer on Bayern to bring home the Meisterschale for the 7th consecutive szn!
Boo this man.