• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Chongo94

Chongo94

Anyone see West Bromwich’s new mascot? Boiler Man.
west-brom-mascot-boiler-man.jpg

It is apparently due to a new sponsorship West Bromwich signed.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.te...m-unveil-boiler-man-greatest-ever-mascot/amp/

Portland Frog

"Breaking: Chelsea reach deal to sell star GK Thibaut Courtois to Real Madrid; receive midfielder Mateo Kovacic on loan with option to buy next season."

Heck yes. With the young GK (Keppa) coming aboard I'm liking these last minute transfer moves.

Chongo94

I saw the outcome but how was the game?

The stats are in Leicester's favor, what happened?

2-1 ManU. Scored a penalty for a handball 3 mins in and then a weird one where it seemed like Leicester switched off or something around 75th/80th minute. Large portions of the game Leicester dominated but large portions ManU dominated. Vardy scored with 4 mins to go in extra time but that was it.

Quality wise, very meh. Chalk it up to early season play or maybe just regular ManU from last year, who knows.

Tom Brown

2-1 ManU. Scored a penalty for a handball 3 mins in and then a weird one where it seemed like Leicester switched off or something around 75th/80th minute. Large portions of the game Leicester dominated but large portions ManU dominated. Vardy scored with 4 mins to go in extra time but that was it.

Quality wise, very meh. Chalk it up to early season play or maybe just regular ManU from last year, who knows.

An article i read attributed it to the strong play at the back for ManU

Chongo94

An article i read attributed it to the strong play at the back for ManU

Totally. From the times I watched, the times where Leicester dominated they basically controlled their own backline and midfield areas and as soon as the ball came into the area of ManU’s back line, it was like they hit a wall. Stout.

Lukaku should’ve probably had around two goals so really the score didn’t reflect the true game. Even the times where Leicester dominated possession you just had the feeling they weren’t much of a threat.

Last edited:

dawg

“MNT in EPL” update: Yedlin went off with a knee injury today and will have tests to determine the damage.

Purp

“MNT in EPL” update: Yedlin went off with a knee injury today and will have tests to determine the damage.
Didn't look good either. Extra time against Tottenham down a goal and he was trying to keep a ball in at the corner. Came down awkwardly and his right knee hyperextended. He needed help going up the stairs to the training room. I'm expecting he won't play again this season.

dawg

So Arsenal improved last season’s results v City from 3-nil humiliations to merely a 2-nil hammering. Progress then?

The striking moment for me was when NBC panned to the City bench, upon which sat Sané and De Bruyne. Two players who each of which would be talismans in the Arsenal side. There’s not a gap between us and the top; it’s a chasm.

Chongo94

So Arsenal improved last season’s results v City from 3-nil humiliations to merely a 2-nil hammering. Progress then?

The striking moment for me was when NBC panned to the City bench, upon which sat Sané and De Bruyne. Two players who each of which would be talismans in the Arsenal side. There’s not a gap between us and the top; it’s a chasm.

Indeed. I’m still apathetic at this point...gonna follow Leeds more in the championship this year probably. The undercoached stench of the last decade that Wenger left will be VERY hard to scrub from this team for a long time.

dawg

Indeed. I’m still apathetic at this point...gonna follow Leeds more in the championship this year probably. The undercoached stench of the last decade that Wenger left will be VERY hard to scrub from this team for a long time.

Emery wound't have been my first-choice as manager (this current squad, IMHO, needed a Conte-level kick in the ass to get it out of a decade apathy), but I'm interested to see whether the badly-needed change in managerial voice will produce less "sleepwalking" performances. Kroenke was far too comfortable cashing CL checks to make the change when it was needed (four years ago), and now he's going to have to spend mightily to get us back to a Top 4 level. Forgive me for doubting his willingness to do so.

I'm afraid the ceiling for this season is fifth and sixth is most likely.

Frozen Frog

I am a Man City fan. I've got a friend who turned me on to them several years ago when I lived overseas.

I don't see City winning the Premier League this year just due to so many players having made deep runs in the World Cup. This is one of those years where I could see an underdog making some serious noise in the league.

tcujsauce

Bayern takes the German Supercup Sunday over Eintracht Frankfurt, looked pretty dominant doing so, as they should. Hopefully first of many pieces of silverware!

Chongo94

Bayern takes the German Supercup Sunday over Eintracht Frankfurt, looked pretty dominant doing so, as they should. Hopefully first of many pieces of silverware!

I don’t have anything against Bayern but I really wish some team would challenge them for once. Same for Juventus in Serie A.

Last edited: