• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Purp

Very cool. McBride will always be one of my favorites.
Yeah, same here. I started really following English soccer when he became a fan favorite at Fulham. I kept up with it at arms length prior to that, but really got invested in it after that. The Super Whites were my side for quite a long time because they brought in so many Americans and had reasonable success with them. I still consider myself a Fulham supporter, but I had to get a new allegiance when they got relegated. I'd always enjoyed the Tottenham history/lore/misfortune so when Deuce transferred there it kinda sealed the deal for me as a Spurs fan. Similarly, I wasn't really a Cubs fan in baseball, but always liked the team and appreciated their place in history. When Jake went there and dominated, though, I became a huge fan. Same type of story except I stayed a big spurs fan after Deuce left and not so much with the Cubs after Jake left.

But I digress... McBride was the embodiment of all the great stereotypes (lunch pail, first one in last one out, etc.). The Fulham fans fell in love with him because of it and so did I. Just a rock solid competitor and succeeded at the highest levels abroad at a time when American field players weren't supposed to be anywhere near that class.

Purp

Solid result in the friendly last night. Amazing what we can do when we have a plan in attack and defense. Michael Bradley seemed rejuvenated too. He lost me at Trinidad & Tobago, but if he continues what he showed last night he may win me back a little bit. I think I'll always be a little sour on him, though. Just can't ever get over T & darning T. Imagine that group last night with Adams, Sargent, McKinnie, Weah, Pulisic... We could have a lot of fun with this group for at least 2 world cup cycles.

Chongo94

Solid result in the friendly last night. Amazing what we can do when we have a plan in attack and defense. Michael Bradley seemed rejuvenated too. He lost me at Trinidad & Tobago, but if he continues what he showed last night he may win me back a little bit. I think I'll always be a little sour on him, though. Just can't ever get over T & darning T. Imagine that group last night with Adams, Sargent, McKinnie, Weah, Pulisic... We could have a lot of fun with this group for at least 2 world cup cycles.

Completely forgot about it to be honest. Sounds like we did well then, good. I really think I’m at the point where, due to our national organization, the national team holds little interest for me anymore.

Kinda feels like we could have 5 Messi’s out there and US Soccer would still find a way to mess it up. Really cannot stand our national organization, such a clown show. I’ll support the team to be sure but my days of eagerly anticipating an international tourney we participate in are done for sadly.

Purp

Purp

Completely forgot about it to be honest. Sounds like we did well then, good. I really think I’m at the point where, due to our national organization, the national team holds little interest for me anymore.

Kinda feels like we could have 5 Messi’s out there and US Soccer would still find a way to mess it up. Really cannot stand our national organization, such a clown show. I’ll support the team to be sure but my days of eagerly anticipating an international tourney we participate in are done for sadly.
I get a renewed sense of hope after each new manager comes on. I might be more enthusiastic right now about the future b/c the breadth of quality young talent in the pool is better than ever. I'm not sold that Berhalter is the answer, but I don't think he's going to hold us back as much as Boob Bradley seemed to and Arena after the Jurgen sacking. I'm actually a little eager to see them all try to figure out the international game together over the next cycle. The potential for growth there is exciting to me. I'm not expecting us to be a Spain, Brazil, Belgium, or Germany type of juggernaut. But in spite of our feckless federation leadership, I think the pieces are there to be a solid top 5 - 15 in the world side in a few years. Obviously we'll need to catch some good breaks along the way, but that's what being a fan is all about. I can see Qatar being another South Korea/Japan for us with a lot of young talent who don't know they're outclassed going in a little under the radar.

Unfortunately, I can also see us failing to qualify again. I consider Sunday night a step in the right direction, but I'm not putting too many eggs in the basket just yet.

Chongo94

European transfer deadline day today. England and Scotland go until 6 and/or 7, I believe. Italy and Germany have already closed. Not sure in regards to Spain.

Almirón from Atlanta broke Newcastle’s transfer record, which was set when they signed Michael Owen. We’ll see how he does...

Last edited:

Purp

European transfer deadline day today. England and Scotland go until 6 and/or 7, I believe. Italy and Germany have already closed. Not sure in regards to Spain.

Almirón from Atlanta broke Newcastle’s transfer record, which was set when they signed Michael Owen. We’ll see how he does...
Been sick all day so I've been out of it. Any noteworthy moves?

Chongo94

Been sick all day so I've been out of it. Any noteworthy moves?

Ehhh. Batshuayi went to Crystal Palace surprisingly. Nothing really big superstar wise in my opinion. More outs of the EPL than ins.

Serie A traded within itself pretty much.

Monaco made some moves but nothing that would surprise anyone I think when they dig into them.

Chongo94

Tyler Adams started his second consecutive game for Leipzig today. Didn’t get to watch so not sure how well he did and these opponents in his starts have been the poorer performing teams but still nice to see him getting run outs already.

He was great that first game.

Purp

Tyler Adams started his second consecutive game for Leipzig today. Didn’t get to watch so not sure how well he did and these opponents in his starts have been the poorer performing teams but still nice to see him getting run outs already.

Hoping to see him with the nats in the next international window. Hoping to see all the young studs in Euroland. Nats back in action tomorrow against Costa Rica. Beat Panama in convincing fashion Sunday? so hopefully they keep the momentum going with the Ticos this weekend. I just want to see steady improvement and a commitment to a single style that is convincing.

Moose Stuff

Looks like he went the full 90 in an easy win for them.

Chongo94

Beginning to think Juventus’ destiny is to never win the champions league again ha.

Even SuperEgo may not be enough to help them.