• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Purp

Kid from FC Dallas...

Report: Chris Richards set to join Bayern Munich
https://www.bigdsoccer.com/2018/12/6/18129708/chris-richards-bayern-munich
I'm glad so many of our best young players are playing in the top flights in Germany. That country has developed talent far better than any other in the last 10 or more years. Outside of a few clubs in other leagues you really aren't seeing top talent get cultivated as well as it does in the Bundesliga. I think that bodes well for our young studs and the future of the USMNT.

Moose Stuff

I'm glad so many of our best young players are playing in the top flights in Germany. That country has developed talent far better than any other in the last 10 or more years. Outside of a few clubs in other leagues you really aren't seeing top talent get cultivated as well as it does in the Bundesliga. I think that bodes well for our young studs and the future of the USMNT.

We seem to have so many of our young kids get over there and just fizzle out or level off. We need 4-5 of these kids to emerge as legitimate world class type players. That recent top 100 players in the world that ESPN did was pretty sobering..... not one US player. Hopefully 5 years from now we’ve got guys like Pulisic, Weah, Sargent, Adams, McKennie, Steffen (headed to Man City apparently) etc.... pushing their way into that list

Eight

We seem to have so many of our young kids get over there and just fizzle out or level off. We need 4-5 of these kids to emerge as legitimate world class type players. That recent top 100 players in the world that ESPN did was pretty sobering..... not one US player. Hopefully 5 years from now we’ve got guys like Pulisic, Weah, Sargent, Adams, McKennie, Steffen (headed to Man City apparently) etc.... pushing their way into that list

level of play in the mls is not high enough to prepare us players to truly compete at the international level. if we are good with qualifying and the occasional upset keep them home.

not sure why young us players seem to hit a ceiling. pulisic was getting big minutes for dortmund last year and now he is coming off the bench. thing is he isn't better than sancho. christian is talented, but he doesn't show the explosiveness and creativity. is it a matter that he isn't the athletic equivalent of sancho so he has a lower ceiling?

i have no clue, but this is a problem the us has had for decades and i don't see a plan being put in place at the national level to truly develop talent and not make money.

Chongo94

This GameDay type set up that FS1 has going on in NYC for the big EPL games today is really impressive. Would have been unheard of that fans would turn out like this in the US not too long ago.

Agreed. The only quibble I have is they seem to (so far) fail to discuss the other games and only highlight all their crowds gathered at the spots they’ve set up.

Chelsea kinda stoning Man City at the moment. It’s shaky at times but has also been impressive at others.

Purp

Man-sized performance from Chels today. Very impressive. Title is probably down to ‘Pool or City, but the race for the CL places will be very tight. Five good sides for 4 slots.
I agree it looks like Liverpool or City for the title, but the gap isn't that wide. If either of those sides hits a little slump for a few weeks it's anybody's race to win. There is still more than half the season remaining.

Chongo94

Watching the MLS cup final and these Atlanta fans remind me of the battle I wage with myself from being a snob towards these newfound converts to the game. I try not to be that guy but man, new American fans to the sport can just be a beating.

Chongo94

Atlanta wins MLS Cup, 2-0. Great atmosphere even if some of the fans are a beating, great atmosphere. Atlanta is doing things right so far.

Purp

Just stopped by to say CHELSEA!!!!!!!!HOLYSH!TWUTJUSTHAPPENED?!?!?
City came into the game today like Baylor did against us.

In all seriousness, late in the first half Chelsea wrestled momentum from City and neevr gave it back. They dominated the 2nd half.

Good day for everyone in the top 6 except City. Makes me happy.