• The KillerFrogs

2018-19 Basketball Season Thread

Portland Frog

Where do you all predict the frogs *finish* in the conference race this season? I think top 4 is realistic (assuming minimal injuries). Of course we don’t really know how the frogs will fare against increased competition, but that holds for the other teams as well. It will be fun to see.

Eight

Agreed. Right now I think it is KU and Tech on the top with TCU, OU, ISU, and KSU (when they get healthy) battling for 3-6. It’s a must to win our home games and try and steal some on the road

i am not sure how good any of that group is which is what i think makes this race so tough to call after kansas.

who has the most impressive win of that group of 4? then you have a team like texas who had the win versus unc and then looked absolutely terrible against some decent competition.

depth will be important, frogs are going to need samuel to play at a high level, and i am very curious how frogs will fare once people start game planning for weaknesses.

froginaustin

texas rarely half fill the drum right now and the claim is they want a more intimate feel.

one thing is cdc was not able to get the city of austin to pony up for any part of the new facility last i heard so texas is paying the bill. money shouldn't be a problem in austin, but right now shaka is not exactly the most popular and cdc has a new football building project he is trying to fund.

UTx is giving a private developer a 10-year ground lease, and the developer will spend ALL the money to build the building. Zero out of pocket for UTx or UTx athletics. So says the ultra-reliable Austin media.

Supposedly UTx will get 60+ slots per year for basketball games, graduation ceremonies, etc., and the developer has the venue for various entertainment options the rest of the time. Supposedly the developer has promised to spend $330+ on a multi-use building that seats 17k for concerts and the like, and by closing off the top tier with a drop-down ceiling or something seats 10k for basketball.

I would think the developer would have to bring in some really big time dog-and-pony shows to recover $330m in only 10 years. But who knows. Maybe PT Barnum is standing behind the curtain.

The whole deal sounds odd to me. A multi-use facility instead of a dedicated basketball house? That's the knock on the Irwin Center, that and the Irwin Center is in the "wrong" place; in the way of academic buildings UTx wants to build. And for the first 10 years UTx only gets 60-or-so time slots per year?

But the way City of Austin political leadership went after the former UTx Athletic Director Steve Patterson when he had the temerity to suggest that city taxpayer money help build a basketball venue for UTx, leads me to think that there would have to be a sea-change in local politics for city money to be contributed.

I suppose we'll see what sort of street improvements are expected. I suppose the city would pay for those.

CountryFrog

I think TCU is better than Tech personally, but I'm not totally objective on the subject. Plus we really don't know exactly how good any of these teams are right now, Kansas included. I know Kansas is good and obviously the favorites to win the league, but we don't know HOW good they are just yet.

Eight

UTx is giving a private developer a 10-year ground lease, and the developer will spend ALL the money to build the building. Zero out of pocket for UTx or UTx athletics. So says the ultra-reliable Austin media.

Supposedly UTx will get 60+ slots per year for basketball games, graduation ceremonies, etc., and the developer has the venue for various entertainment options the rest of the time. Supposedly the developer has promised to spend $330+ on a multi-use building that seats 17k for concerts and the like, and by closing off the top tier with a drop-down ceiling or something seats 10k for basketball.

I would think the developer would have to bring in some really big time dog-and-pony shows to recover $330m in only 10 years. But who knows. Maybe PT Barnum is standing behind the curtain.

The whole deal sounds odd to me. A multi-use facility instead of a dedicated basketball house? That's the knock on the Irwin Center, that and the Irwin Center is in the "wrong" place; in the way of academic buildings UTx wants to build. And for the first 10 years UTx only gets 60-or-so time slots per year?

But the way City of Austin political leadership went after the former UTx Athletic Director Steve Patterson when he had the temerity to suggest that city taxpayer money help build a basketball venue for UTx, leads me to think that there would have to be a sea-change in local politics for city money to be contributed.

I suppose we'll see what sort of street improvements are expected. I suppose the city would pay for those.

thanks for the information.

a multi-use vehicle that would seat 17,000 for concerts and go down to roughly 10-12 for games?

Purp

I think TCU is better than Tech personally, but I'm not totally objective on the subject. Plus we really don't know exactly how good any of these teams are right now, Kansas included. I know Kansas is good and obviously the favorites to win the league, but we don't know HOW good they are just yet.
I agree on Tech. They're good enough defensively to beat anybody, but they're also inconsistent enough offensively to lose to anyone. I think we could be the 2nd best team in the league, but your point is well taken that it's hard to know how good we may be just yet.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
I see us as the second best team in the conference and a threat to Kansas. But this is contingent on staying healthy (i.e. getting Alok back ASAP then no more major injuries) and not having a brain-dead midseason couple of weeks where we play poorly.

MTfrog5

For those looking for something to watch outside of the NFL, lipscomb plays at Clemson at 2 on FSSW. Would be nice for them to beat Clemson. Fresno also had a terrible loss this week

berryfrog95

Lipscomb blown out by Clemson.....we’re probably gonna have to let that loss go and chalk it up. They can likely win their conference and be a 12-13 seed but...