• The KillerFrogs

2018-19 Basketball Season Thread

Moose Stuff

I think the only impressive win of those 3 for me is against Tech. Pokes are down this year and WVU is clearly not who we expect them to be. Tech has maybe the best defense in the country (EMAW may have something to say about that), but their offense is really awful. The Tech basketball team is like the TCU football team this year. They can win against anybody they play this year b/c their defense will give them a chance. Conversely, their offense will give them a chance to lose every game they play as well. I'll give Baylor that quality win, but it's not going to surprise me to see TT lose a couple more games this season that we'd expect them to win. Their offense is that bad.

I wouldn't put much stock in Baylor's conference record just yet. I see them being well behind Kansas, EMAW, ISU (even though Baylor beat them), and OU. Then I think they're behind Tech (in spite of that home win against them), us, and Texas too. They've only got 2 games left that I'd expect them to win and I figure they'll probably also get a couple other Ws down the stretch b/c the conference is just that unpredictable this year. If they manage to get 6 more wins they may end up being a tourney team b/c they'll have at least 4 more quality wins over tourney teams and 2 of those probably over ranked teams on top of their already impressive wins over Tech and ISU. I think that's a long shot for them, though.

Any road win in the Big 12 is a good win in my book. Especially without your best player.

CountryFrog

Just saying they’re 4-2 in conference and have 3 impressive wins (@ OSU, Tech and @WV) since Clark went down.
For sure, especially the Tech win. They've had some nice wins sprinkled throughout the schedule and some bad losses as well. Their whole season has been kind of an enigma to me including the way they're playing without Clark.

CountryFrog

9-9 ..... gonna need wins at home vs UT/OSU/OU and a road win at WV to get us to 6. Don’t think it’s unreasonable to think we could pull another 3 out of the remaining games.
I definitely think we get to 9+ wins IF there are no more injuries/illnesses/transfers/players joining the peace corps/etc. This is still a good team. It's just a good team who now has no margin for error at all for sustaining any further injuries.

The sad part is that I think we would've been extremely good, maybe B12 champs good, if not for all the personnel losses. But that's sports.

MTfrog5

Two big games this week at home vs Texas and Florida. Would love to get them both and get some momentum back on our side.

We have to get some season sweeps, looking like WVU, Ok St, and Baylor are our best shots.
I think at WVU will be one of our hardest games left. They are going to want some payback after a 31 point loss

Bill Bozeat

For sure, especially the Tech win. They've had some nice wins sprinkled throughout the schedule and some bad losses as well. Their whole season has been kind of an enigma to me including the way they're playing without Clark.
And the best part of the little I have their recent is that doosh from Austin Westlake hasnt been playing much. Sure someone can fact check me on that

Purp

I definitely think we get to 9+ wins IF there are no more injuries/illnesses/transfers/players joining the peace corps/etc. This is still a good team. It's just a good team who now has no margin for error at all for sustaining any further injuries.

The sad part is that I think we would've been extremely good, maybe B12 champs good, if not for all the personnel losses. But that's sports.
Of the 4 personnel losses I think the Fisher loss is really the only one that has set us back. Alok appeared to be figuring things out, but my gut tells me Barlow will be better for us than Alok would have been (the reason I think Alok is transferring) and Kaden was going to get 5 minutes a game at most in conference play. Fisher is the one guy of those 4 who made our offense and defense better by being on the floor. We don't have anybody who can replace all of that, though RJ has shown signs he can fill in for some of that.

I agree with you, though, that I could see us undefeated right now with Fisher healthy all season. I think our group will continue to improve as the schedule moves forward and they adapt to the new normal, but we won't be the same team we could have been with a healthy Fish.

Eight

texas will be an interesting game

both offenses are dependent on the roll, their guards are a bit bigger than the frogs, they have more size than the frogs, hayes is a very athletic big who can make things tough on the frogs offense.

i would like to see tcu establish samuel down low and not waste him setting picks 15-18 feet from the basket

CountryFrog

Of the 4 personnel losses I think the Fisher loss is really the only one that has set us back. Alok appeared to be figuring things out, but my gut tells me Barlow will be better for us than Alok would have been (the reason I think Alok is transferring) and Kaden was going to get 5 minutes a game at most in conference play. Fisher is the one guy of those 4 who made our offense and defense better by being on the floor. We don't have anybody who can replace all of that, though RJ has shown signs he can fill in for some of that.

I agree with you, though, that I could see us undefeated right now with Fisher healthy all season. I think our group will continue to improve as the schedule moves forward and they adapt to the new normal, but we won't be the same team we could have been with a healthy Fish.
Fisher was obviously the big loss but the others provided depth that we're sorely lacking right now regardless of how many minutes they might play or what their overall contributions might have been.

Purp

Fisher was obviously the big loss but the others provided depth that we're sorely lacking right now regardless of how many minutes they might play or what their overall contributions might have been.
I don't disagree, but I think you'd have seen a similar rotation in conference play to what we've seen whether those guys had transferred or not. On a night where Noi is out sick and RJ is playing, but also sick you could easily see Kaden getting a lot more minutes. That said, the bench shrinks in conference play so, assuming everyone is healthy, I think Fish is the only one we're really missing in games from a depth perspective. Now the other guys missing from practice is a definite drawback from a depth standpoint.

4th. down

Based on one game for Barlow against maybe the best defense in the nation? I'll wait a few more games before drawing preliminary conclusions.

Duly not
texas will be an interesting game

both offenses are dependent on the roll, their guards are a bit bigger than the frogs, they have more size than the frogs, hayes is a very athletic big who can make things tough on the frogs offense.

i would like to see tcu establish samuel down low and not waste him setting picks 15-18 feet from the basket

It seems obvious, but for some reason, Jamie doesn't see it that way. When he is away from the basket on offense setting a pick, he is way out of position for the rebound, assuming there is one. Don't look for many minutes from Noi coming back from the flu. We simply cannot lose this game. The UT guards are good and have length - we are going to need a good game defensively from Nembhard.

CountryFrog

I don't disagree, but I think you'd have seen a similar rotation in conference play to what we've seen whether those guys had transferred or not. On a night where Noi is out sick and RJ is playing, but also sick you could easily see Kaden getting a lot more minutes. That said, the bench shrinks in conference play so, assuming everyone is healthy, I think Fish is the only one we're really missing in games from a depth perspective. Now the other guys missing from practice is a definite drawback from a depth standpoint.
Probably true. It just makes it even tougher to get by if anyone else is injured, sick, or in foul trouble. We had to put Bane back in for the last 3 minutes of that WVU game because we literally had no other available bodies on the bench that hadn't fouled out besides him and Robinson.