• The KillerFrogs

2017 TCU Football Season Ticket Renewals

Bob Sugar

To continue from my former post:

Unfortunately, this is not a problem TCU will likely ever choose to address... at least not for now.

Their goal is to maximize season tickets sold. They don't give a [ Finebaum ] about who sits in them.

I was a finance major. I get it. Running an athletic program of TCU's caliber and budget requires a lot of revenue. And I completely understand the importance of maximizing revenue. BUT, TCU needs to be very careful that they do not take their fans for granted.

TCU, your fans are much more than irrational, credit card swiping dollar signs, that will blindly keep buying season tickets year after year. People are quickly getting sick of being surrounded by oppossing fans and of seeing opposing fans sitting in much better seats than them, the loyal season ticket holder. Allow this to keep happening, especially with the kind of product we saw on the field last year, and you're going to wake up one day and wonder where all your fans went.

The funny thing is you witch and witch and witch and witch about the West side lower bowl. Under your view of the world, the folks that are so wealthy that they donated boatloads of money to the school scooped up an extra four seats to make a few extra hundred dollars on stubhub. First, those folks likely don't have the time to bother with stubhub. Second, they likely don't need that extra couple hundred bucks. Finally, those seats are often not full. If they were selling them on stubhub, you'd think they would always be full.

Then there's this: https://www.stubhub.com/tcu-footbal...=false&qtyddab=true&sfp1=false&sort=price+asc

East side, Endzones, Upper deck, you name it and season tickets are available on stubhub right now. Everywhere except for those greedy rich people who used the +4 to get west side lower bowl seats to sell for profit.

Maybe, juuuuussssttt maybe, local people or businesses have been supporting the frogs for years and donate a bunch of money. Maybe they have those seats to give to clients or employees. Maybe their clients and employees are not as rabid as other fans so they go to tailgates or the club, or don't go at all. Just a thought.

smufrogger

The funny thing is you witch and witch and witch and witch about the West side lower bowl. Under your view of the world, the folks that are so wealthy that they donated boatloads of money to the school scooped up an extra four seats to make a few extra hundred dollars on stubhub. First, those folks likely don't have the time to bother with stubhub. Second, they likely don't need that extra couple hundred bucks. Finally, those seats are often not full. If they were selling them on stubhub, you'd think they would always be full.

Then there's this: https://www.stubhub.com/tcu-footbal...=false&qtyddab=true&sfp1=false&sort=price+asc

East side, Endzones, Upper deck, you name it and season tickets are available on stubhub right now. Everywhere except for those greedy rich people who used the +4 to get west side lower bowl seats to sell for profit.

Maybe, juuuuussssttt maybe, local people or businesses have been supporting the frogs for years and donate a bunch of money. Maybe they have those seats to give to clients or employees. Maybe their clients and employees are not as rabid as other fans so they go to tailgates or the club, or don't go at all. Just a thought.

This is it. The 100 developed by roger Williams had the business community pick up a bunch of tickets around the Old stadium. With the new stadium, these businesses had the opportunity to consolidate their tickets into prime spots- and just like before- these tickets are given to employees or clients - without screening of who they root for.
Every stadium does this very thing but we see it far more given that tcu has a small alumni base and has more "visitor" alumn in DFW than their own

Tcu won't change their policies but it probably will eventually suffer for it. Even the big school like Michigan have found that you can't keep the little guys in the far corners of the stadium with the belief they will remain loyal fans

Frogenstein

You also can't compare the need for revenue to stay competitive in the Big 12 verses the MWC. I know you mentioned this above Maniac but I think people often overlook the amount of money TCU needs to generate in order to compete with UT and OU.

Zubaz

Tcu won't change their policies but it probably will eventually suffer for it. Even the big school like Michigan have found that you can't keep the little guys in the far corners of the stadium with the belief they will remain loyal fans
Let's be real, the "far corners" of our stadium would BE the prime seats at Michigan. That's the beauty of our design.

smufrogger

I can appreciate the thought here, but the problem I've always had with this line of thinking is that AGC was selling out with purple every week, and the re-seating interrupted that. But we know that's not the case. We've been complaining about attendance at AGC since the renaissance of TCU football began.

In 2009 and 2010, the years we were undefeated and Top 10 for most of the year, a 25 year old could flash an old student ID and pick his seat in the student section without any hassle. In the 8 years between the time I graduated and the re-seating, literally the ONLY time I had a problem getting both myself and my 60+ year old father in to the student section was the Utah game. Look at the 2006 Tech game and tell me that it's noticeably different than what we see today. It's not.

The only place that re-seating really had an impact is the lower East side. A side that is never on camera and barely anyone sees outside of those in the stadium. You can say "Yeah well the players see it", and yeah you're right that it's not ideal, but in the grand scheme of things it's hardly the biggest issue.

The reseating didn't create this environment. The size of the school and the competition around the DFW area did. The re-seating just scattershot more visiting fans in to the process (no doubt aided by the fact that those visiting fans are from bigger, more local schools than our MWC days).
The reseating absolutely created this environment - I sat for twenty years in the old stadium along with every other frog fan within a stones throw away from me. Back then when a visiting fan tried to sit with us we knew they didn't hold the seats.
In the new stadium there are visitors all around us

tcumaniac

I challenge you to "juuuuussssttt" find one post that backs up what you accuse me of complaining about.

My complaints for the west side are different than my complaints for the east side.

East Side: This is the side with the stubhub problem. It happens on the west side, but not nearly as much. I personally know people that have club seats, and then have 10 great seats on the east side specifically for selling.

West Side Lower Bowl: The problem with this side are the big time donors that have wayyyy more seats than they need. A majority of west side lower bowl owners also have suites/ or club seats. I know for a fact some of these people do actually sell them on stubhub, but this isn't a majority. Most of them let the seats just go unused or give them to business acquaintances that have no real interest in the game... which is why that section is always pretty much dead.

Last edited:

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Well, Maniac speaks for me. I had well over 20 years of season tickets (2) in various spots on the west side. Reseating displaced me to the upper deck in the middle of opposing fans EVERY GAME. Considering I had a 3-4 hour drive each way, I gave up my season tickets after 2 years in the new stadium. And you know what...no one from TCU ever called or even sent a survey to see why I had quit buying them. Maniac is right; TCU doesn't give a darn who sends the $$ as long as they get the cash.

frognutz

Well, Maniac speaks for me. I had well over 20 years of season tickets (2) in various spots on the west side. Reseating displaced me to the upper deck in the middle of opposing fans EVERY GAME. Considering I had a 3-4 hour drive each way, I gave up my season tickets after 2 years in the new stadium. And you know what...no one from TCU ever called or even sent a survey to see why I had quit buying them. Maniac is right; TCU doesn't give a darn who sends the $$ as long as they get the cash.

Well, if Maniac speaks for you then he is a hypocrite because he's been out of school for 3 years and has armchair seats right smack dab on the 50 yard line.

Big Frog II

Again, people are downplaying how many of these season tickets are owned by businesses that pass that out to clients and workers. In the WAC, CUSA, MWC days, no one but TCU fans would take them since the other teams were so far off. Now that we are in the Big 12, these businesses are getting requests from the Texas, Texas Tech, OU fans etc. Once the Big 12 falls apart and we're back in the MWC, this won't be a problem.

tcumaniac

Again, people are downplaying how many of these season tickets are owned by businesses that pass that out to clients and workers. In the WAC, CUSA, MWC days, no one but TCU fans would take them since the other teams were so far off. Now that we are in the Big 12, these businesses are getting requests from the Texas, Texas Tech, OU fans etc. Once the Big 12 falls apart and we're back in the MWC, this won't be a problem.

Funny. I think you're over assuming how many seats are owned by businesses.

cdsfrog

Let's be real, the "far corners" of our stadium would BE the prime seats at Michigan. That's the beauty of our design.

Not really. Yes our stadium is smaller but they would t be prime seats. Hence why they never go for prime money They are typically some of the worst selling seats.For most games they go under face value.

How are these businesses getting priority? Through donations I am guessing to bump them up?

Yes. For instance 10 lower chair back seats requires a $7500 donation generating a crapload of points over a rolling period. Not to mention they usually pay for at minimum a couple parking spots and get pointsfor the season tickets. A business can go from a ranking of near 4000 to 750 in a few years. Thats what happens when you spend 30k a year

Last edited:

Bob Sugar

Whats your best guess on how many tickets are owned by the top 50 accounts. I have context for this so Im curious

I am not certain, but I believe the 6 founders got blocks of West side lower bowl seats in addition to their suites. Not like they have done anything to deserve seats they won't use though.

Tre J

Not sure why people love to pile on against me and my supposed "whining."

I have very valid complaints, which if addressed, would likely benefit almost every damn person on this board.

Millennial mindset of being 3-years out of college but knowing the answers to all of the worlds problems.

If TCU didn't incentivize people to buy extra seats just to sell on stubhub, people like TCUdirtbag would likely be sitting in chair back seats on the east side, and all of us would be surrounded by other TCU fans. Would TCU sell less season tickets? Maybe. But real TCU fans would be getting the best seats and would be sitting by each other.

Not only would this help the goodwill of our fan base, which in turn could lead to more people choosing to be season ticket holders, it would help the atmosphere of our games as well. As it stands now, Amon G Carter Stadium is far from the most intimidating place to play in the country… Frustratingly, I think this would dramatically change if real fans were getting a hold of the best seats.

Will there be a priority point system based on how "real" of a fan you are? Does being Mr. TCU get you 1,000 pts?

Tre J

But I don't think enough appreciation is given to the momentum we wasted. IMO, after winning the Rose Bowl, TCU had just turned the corner as far as fan attendance goes. From the way I see it, we wasted so, so much home field advantage potential by setting up a system that spread out all the fans and left them surrounded by away fans buying seats on stubhub.

I may be wrong, but I think TCU took full advantage of this momentum and went out and raised money from big donors to get the new stadium built.

Bob Sugar

I may be wrong, but I think TCU took full advantage of this momentum and went out and raised money from big donors to get the new stadium built.

The donations were all part of their plan to make some money on stubhub...

giphy.gif