• The KillerFrogs

2017 College World Series Thread

Casey T

Can anyone post an old CWS thread for Omaha recommendations, I'm going for the first time this weekend. Looking for food/tailgating/tourist suggestions. And I tried searching for older threads from last year or before but must suck at searching. Thanks!

TCUdirtbag

I'm not advocating Lodolo. It's just crazy that we have the ability to go through both the Regional and Super without using the highest drafted pitcher in CBB.

When healthy (and he certainly looks healthy the last 2 starts), Traver is not a No. 3 or 4. I would not be surprised at all to see him start game 1.

You keep talking about Traver's last 2 starts. I don't disagree that he was very good in both. But they were against Central Connecticut State and Texas. Virginia, DBU, and Missouri State are significantly better hitting teams. Janczak and Howard are significantly ahead of Traver. And I don't even know where to start on the ridiculous Lodolo comment. Kid has good stuff but he's young. Where he was drafted last year doesn't make him a better pitcher. Hell, Janczak didn't pitch as a freshman - he was redshirted. Now he's our ace.

You set up your rotation planning to win 5 in a row and have a backup plan. It's not terribly complicated when your clear top 2 are both righties. Ace in game 1 (Janczak), #2 in game 2 (Howard), #3 in a national semifinal (Traver or Lodolo), and have your top 2 ready to roll out on full rest in the finals in games 1 and 2.

If you lose game 1, you stick with your #2 in game 2 because it's a must win if you win game 1, but win game 2 and wind up having to play a second national semifinal, you probably go back to your ace on full rest to try and get into the finals. Do what you can and try and get the ace back for a finals game 3 if you can.

I can't imagine a scenario where Lodolo or Traver start game 1 or 2. I've been wrong before, but this seems incredibly predictable

Sticky_Wicket

Purple Baylor Alum
You set up your rotation planning to win 5 in a row and have a backup plan. It's not terribly complicated when your clear top 2 are both righties. Ace in game 1 (Janczak), #2 in game 2 (Howard), #3 in a national semifinal (Traver or Lodolo), and have your top 2 ready to roll out on full rest in the finals in games 1 and 2.

Thank you.

Schloss and Saarloos probably met for 15 minutes - 3 to discuss strategy and the next 12 to discuss how excited they are to eat Zesto's again... yet we have to try and rationalize every what if scenario. We're going to throw our best arms.

GoFrog Yourself

Can anyone post an old CWS thread for Omaha recommendations, I'm going for the first time this weekend. Looking for food/tailgating/tourist suggestions. And I tried searching for older threads from last year or before but must suck at searching. Thanks!
Tailgating:
Walk around the parking lots in the outfield and make friends. Most locals around are some of the friendliest you'll meet and offer you samples of what they're cooking
The old mattress factory behind right field
The Blatt rooftop is a great spot
Old Market for postgame festivities

Wexahu

You keep talking about Traver's last 2 starts. I don't disagree that he was very good in both. But they were against Central Connecticut State and Texas. Virginia, DBU, and Missouri State are significantly better hitting teams. Janczak and Howard are significantly ahead of Traver. And I don't even know where to start on the ridiculous Lodolo comment. Kid has good stuff but he's young. Where he was drafted last year doesn't make him a better pitcher. Hell, Janczak didn't pitch as a freshman - he was redshirted. Now he's our ace.

If you lose game 1, you stick with your #2 in game 2 because it's a must win if you win game 1, but win game 2 and wind up having to play a second national semifinal, you probably go back to your ace on full rest to try and get into the finals. Do what you can and try and get the ace back for a finals game 3 if you can.

I can't imagine a scenario where Lodolo or Traver start game 1 or 2. I've been wrong before, but this seems incredibly predictable

I know it must be based on irrefutable evidence because it's how baseball works at every single level, but it just seems odd to me that a starting pitcher can't go out there unless he has a minimum 3 full days rest and usually 4 full days rest. They must tax their arms to the absolute limit every time they pitch. 4 full days of just more or less rehabilitating an arm after a pitching outing seems like an eternity to me, unless there is an injury involved.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain

Lots to do in Omaha...

eCreamery has their annual tournament ice cream flavors, stop in and get the TCU flavor to help the Frogs win their 3rd eCreamery title.

Old Market has some great restaurants including a brew house that has some nice craft beers, and if you like whisky and cigars I can't suggest the Havana Garage enough for watching non-TCU games. They have the best selection of whisky in Omaha and should have a selection of limited edition CWS cigars from La Flour Dominicana later this week.

Tailgating is all around the stadium, but watch out for the few Texas Tech fans that will show up for no reason, they're a bunch of d*#%@. LSU fans dominate the tailgate areas and are a great group to hang out with and make fun of Aggies.

The market place south of the stadium is great but go there early in the week if you want to find anything good or have a shot at a hat. By Monday/Tuesday most of the good stuff is gone.

Sticky_Wicket

Purple Baylor Alum
Whether we start play on Saturday or Sunday, this schedule doesn't make sense. I should say, this schedule makes sense, but it is a lot different from what we've seen.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/a...ries-tv-schedule-streams-dates-how-watch-2017

Essentially both winners game brackets will played on Monday and both losers game brackets will played on Tuesday. If this is correct I need to go back to the drawing board.

That would certainly be a new format. Hopefully just a typo. The CWS site doesn't list it out with detail, it just gives game times.

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs

Please don't turn my speculation that it is possible that MT starts game 1 into a discussion about Lodolo. I did not make the "ridiculous Lodolo comment" attributed to me. In no way, shape, or form am I suggesting (or have I suggested) Lodolo start game 1. He's a freshman, he's been off for 2 weeks, he's never been to Omaha (at least, as an NCAA player). All I was saying is that it is an embarrassment of riches to have a guy with that talent sitting through regional and super. That was the right thing to do. He is not the game 1 starter. Amen and amen.

I agree with all of your theory. All I'm saying is that it is possible (not probable) that MT leads out of the chute. He's pitched well enough in the last two starts to look like the ace we thought we had before the season started. Schloss and Saarloos know him and trust him. They know if it's just a matter of inferior competition, or if they think he's really a 1b guy, not a No. 3 guy. If they think he's pitching like a 1b pitcher, and the matchup is favorable, he just might get the nod.

With all that said, I think JJ probably starts game 1. He's been excellent, and excellently consistent.

And I love me some BH, especially on the big stage. But I don't think he goes game 1.

You're playing one of the best 8 teams in the country.

Not necessarily. TCU is in the field and we have been assured that TCU is average at best. ;)

TCUdirtbag

Please don't turn my speculation that it is possible that MT starts game 1 into a discussion about Lodolo. I did not make the "ridiculous Lodolo comment" attributed to me. In no way, shape, or form am I suggesting (or have I suggested) Lodolo start game 1. He's a freshman, he's been off for 2 weeks, he's never been to Omaha (at least, as an NCAA player). All I was saying is that it is an embarrassment of riches to have a guy with that talent sitting through regional and super. That was the right thing to do. He is not the game 1 starter. Amen and amen.

I agree with all of your theory. All I'm saying is that it is possible (not probable) that MT leads out of the chute. He's pitched well enough in the last two starts to look like the ace we thought we had before the season started. Schloss and Saarloos know him and trust him. They know if it's just a matter of inferior competition, or if they think he's really a 1b guy, not a No. 3 guy. If they think he's pitching like a 1b pitcher, and the matchup is favorable, he just might get the nod.

With all that said, I think JJ probably starts game 1. He's been excellent, and excellently consistent.

And I love me some BH, especially on the big stage. But I don't think he goes game 1.

Not necessarily. TCU is in the field and we have been assured that TCU is average at best. ;)

I'm speaking for myself, but I think also for most, when I say I sure never thought Traver would be our ace before or at any point in the season. I'd guess the 2017 season thread documents that quite well. Traver was never expected to be better than our #3.

I just don't agree on Traver being in the same league as Janczak or Howard in terms of consistency and performance under the big lights. I also don't see how he's a more favorable matchup than either of the 2 righties ahead of him. Think Schloss was quite clear as to who #1 and #2 are over the weekend. It worked very well. No reason to expect a change.

flyfishingfrog

I know it must be based on irrefutable evidence because it's how baseball works at every single level, but it just seems odd to me that a starting pitcher can't go out there unless he has a minimum 3 full days rest and usually 4 full days rest. They must tax their arms to the absolute limit every time they pitch. 4 full days of just more or less rehabilitating an arm after a pitching outing seems like an eternity to me, unless there is an injury involved.

Not sure about evidence overall but I think you saw what happens when you over use a starter yesterday with Missouri State

That kid they started was their ace and pitched too much and too often last weekend

So even on rest it was pretty obvious his higher velocity pitches were flat - no movement really either vertical or horizontally

And we made him pay for it - you throw 92 with no movement and it can get like batting practice

Same thing happens to Howard sometimes when he doesn't get the calls in the edges early and starts steering it. Or to the youngsters in our bullpen when they get stressed and are placing it instead if throwing it

A guy can throw the right velo but lose movement when they are "rested enough" to start but not really recovered from being stretched too thin

ShadowFrog

Moderators

Put on your Must Do list to find the local creamery nearby that makes new flavors for all the teams.