• The KillerFrogs

2017 College World Series Thread

Sticky_Wicket

Purple Baylor Alum
I noticed AA prices skyrocketed last night. Looking at going Friday to Sunday morning which is about $600 wo points.

It's unfortunate the DAL->OMA flight didn't really pan out for SWA, that was super convenient.

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs
Traver's historical, proven stats (when healthy) are as good or better than JJ or BH. He has looked dominating the last two starts.

I think you're probably right that it will be JJ and then BH, but I will not at all surprised to see MT in game 1.

GoFrog Yourself

Traver's historical, proven stats (when healthy) are as good or better than JJ or BH. He has looked dominating the last two starts.

I think you're probably right that it will be JJ and then BH, but I will not at all surprised to see MT in game 1.
All depends on the opponent:
Wake is a homer happy bunch but played in a very hitter friendly park at home, which Omaha is the least hitter friendly park outside of Lupton
Florida is not the best hitting team (think TCU 2014 and 2015) but has an excellent pitching staff

f_399

Janczak and Howard racked up double digit K's this past weekend?

Didn't seem that much being at the game but that is very impressive.

To back that, Traver has shown his best stuff to date his last couple of starts.

Add in Durbin, who is probably the best closer in 2017 CBB.

Kyle101011

Who's our number 5 if we have to go to the losers bracket? We are playing to win a natty so I wouldn't throw JJ game 5. Want him game one of the finals.

GoFrog Yourself

Who's our number 5 if we have to go to the losers bracket? We are playing to win a natty so I wouldn't throw JJ game 5. Want him game one of the finals.
Assuming we hit the loser's bracket for either our second or third game, we'd probably have to throw our initial starter again that saturday. At that point you plan to win the game in front of you and you can't play the what if game. Assuming we start sunday:

Game 1: Sunday

Game 2: Tuesday (win or lose game one)

Game 3, assuming we lost game 1 or 2: Thursday

Game 3 (assuming we won the first two games)/Game 4 (assuming we lost game one or two): Friday

Game 4/5: Saturday

Then the championship series starts that following monday

Win the first two and we have a plethora of options for the Friday and Saturday games having only used two of our starters and the Sunday guy can pitch again in the if necessary game that Saturday. Lose one along the way and we'll have to use all four guys (JJ, BH, MT and NL) then probably use the game one starter again. Don't want to leave the clincher in the hands of a Tuesday night guy

tcumaniac

Any worry that Lodoololo hasn't pitched in a very long time?

No. I'm of the thinking that it might actually be a blessing that he's had some time off to clear his mind and take in/ study the game a little bit more.

As Pharm mentioned, it's likely a very difficult grind being a freshman pitcher as a weekend starter. Taking a little time off can sometime work wonders... especially for someone of his potential. I could be totally wrong though.

Going along with this logic though... from what I understand, Austen Wade missed almost all of summer baseball after being hit in the face by a pitch. He then comes back to be our best overall hitter this season. Sure, a lot of it has to do with him just being good, but I wonder how much you can attribute to him just getting to take a break from the game for a little bit.

tcumaniac

I would not be surprised at all to see him [Traver] start game 1.

You have now said this twice. I'm not sure what your line of thinking is, because I think the rest of the board would be SHOCKED if we saw Traver.

Winning game 1 in Omaha is soooooo important. Very rarely does it make sense to throw anyone other than your ace in game 1.

Traver has definitely looked great... but he's at best our #3 pitcher right now.

This isn't a regional where you play the weakest team in game 1... You're playing one of the best 8 teams in the country. Starting him in game 1 would make absolutely zero sense.

Sticky_Wicket

Purple Baylor Alum
Anyone want to place bets on TCU starter and second pitcher? Don't be shocked if it is lodolo against a lefty heavy batting team in Omaha.

I will be shocked.

giphy.gif

f_399

Landestoy is the better at 1B but Wanhanen is a better hitter.

Has Landestoy been put in first when we did not have the lead?

Last edited: