• The KillerFrogs

2017 Baseball Season Thread

Pharm Frog said:
Would like to see turnstile attendance side by side with "official" attendance. Until then we are looking at who's strongest at season ticket sales for the most part.

I've never really understood this argument in baseball... If the fans show up to the games that matter (they do) and otherwise buy up most/all tickets to generate strong revenue (they do), what's the problem?

yurintroubl

TCUdirtbag said:
yurintroubl, where did you pull these stats from? I'm looking at that image and dying to nerd out.

Don't feel bad... It's beyond buried for some reason. 

On the official NCAA Baseball Stats page...on the very bottom right..there's a "Custom Reporting" heading with a drop-down that no longer functions.. 
- Click the blue button that says "View report on NCAA.org"....
- Select Division I from the drop down...
- Click on the Misc. Reports tab on the far right...
- "Attendance"

It's just a hop, skip, another hop, combat roll, hurdle, slalom and a jump away from where you would expect to find it.

yurintroubl

Here's another one of my favorites buried somewhere in NCAA.org stats limbo:  NCAA Baseball Ranking Summary...Summary

It's how you get to stuff like THIS.

ETA:

JavaScript is really wonky on this.  If you don't get to a page that looks like this:

screenshot-web1%20ncaa%20org%202016-12-30%2011-00-21.jpg

...Click on any of the Baseball season links and it SHOULD get you to where you need to be.

Pharm Frog

Gary's Shirtless Revenge said:

I've never really understood this argument in baseball... If the fans show up to the games that matter (they do) and otherwise buy up most/all tickets to generate strong revenue (they do), what's the problem?

I wasn't making an argument at all. No problem at all. Have no issue with the way its reported. However, I think it would be instructive to see what actual "butts in seats (or lawns)" look like. And, since you have an attendance standard for baseball ("games that matter"), its interesting that some of the "games that matter" most are those where the RPI stakes are greatest and these are often against low quality opponents. 

Pharm Frog said:

I wasn't making an argument at all. No problem at all. Have no issue with the way its reported. However, I think it would be instructive to see what actual "butts in seats (or lawns)" look like. And, since you have an attendance standard for baseball ("games that matter"), its interesting that some of the "games that matter" most are those where the RPI stakes are greatest and these are often against low quality opponents. 
My point was you would do what with that data? Prove fans don't really show up? Or show up at the wrong times?

To ask fans to show on a home game vs. ut rio grande is a losing strategy, as is criticizing them for not really showing up to every game. Attendance for baseball is great and we should be thankful for it.

Pharm Frog

Gary's Shirtless Revenge said:
My point was you would do what with that data? Prove fans don't really show up? Or show up at the wrong times?

To ask fans to show on a home game vs. ut rio grande is a losing strategy, as is criticizing them for not really showing up to every game. Attendance for baseball is great and we should be thankful for it.

What would I do with any data? Form hypotheses and look for ways to innovate. It seems that you have an aversion to wanting to know how many actual people turn the gate and I have no idea why. I suppose you think that knowing that number would cause people to criticize someone or something. If so, so what? I think its actually a more honest and important number for the box score than the "paid attendance" which sometimes bears resemblance to the actual game and sometimes not. And finally I'm not "thankful" for any attendance at anything and yes, the Frogs have a great baseball fanbase.

Pharm Frog said:

What would I do with any data? Form hypotheses and look for ways to innovate. It seems that you have an aversion to wanting to know how many actual people turn the gate and I have no idea why. I suppose you think that knowing that number would cause people to criticize someone or something. If so, so what? I think its actually a more honest and important number for the box score than the "paid attendance" which sometimes bears resemblance to the actual game and sometimes not. And finally I'm not "thankful" for any attendance at anything and yes, the Frogs have a great baseball fanbase.
Right, so you want it so you can confirm your hypothesis, which we can all say already is almost certainly true, in order to form a critical opinion. My point was: I don't understand that criticism, attendance for baseball is great and we should be happy for it.

That critique, my original point, is what I'm after. The data point was secondary.

But, your opinion is valid. Let's just move on and talk about lineup building or bullpen mngt in 2017.