• The KillerFrogs

2017-18 Men's Basketball Thread

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Wrong. We just sucked for a very, very long time. We now have around 6000 season ticket holders and we are dancing.
Yeah we have come a long way but he may have a point. For our first trip to the dance in 20 years, we sure aren't chatting it up in here. I've seen more current posts about football and baseball past couple days.

LVH

Yeah we have come a long way but he may have a point. For our first trip to the dance in 20 years, we sure aren't chatting it up in here. I've seen more current posts about football and baseball past couple days.

I always thought our fanbase would be more enthusiastic about basketball once we started winning and thought the lack of enthusiam/interest was always because of the losing, but I think its clear our fanbase cares about football and baseball more than basketball even with the success this year

Pharm Frog

Insufficient posting generates claims of fan disinterest. Increased postings generate charges of unrealistic expectations, excessive negativity, and "just sit back and enjoy it" and "it's already been a great season" and such. Personally I think it's undeniable and undebatable that Frog basketball fandom has expanded and probably exponentially so since the return of CJD and especially after the success in the NIT last season and the success to date this season. I know I've watched more college basketball this season than the combined seasons in the previous decade and I expect that I'm not alone.

y2kFrog

I always thought our fanbase would be more enthusiastic about basketball once we started winning and thought the lack of enthusiam/interest was always because of the losing, but I think its clear our fanbase cares about football and baseball more than basketball even with the success this year
It took years and years of being good in both baseball and football to build the following they have today. Give basketball sustained success and it will grow too.

Wexahu

It took years and years of being good in both baseball and football to build the following they have today. Give basketball sustained success and it will grow too.

Probably true. And to be totally honest, I'm not as pumped about this weekend as I might otherwise be because I'm not optimistic at all we can make it past Sunday. I'd love to be totally wrong but this team doesn't seem like one that could knock off a really good team in a win-or-you're-done environment. Sometimes you get the feeling a team is kind of being overlooked and is ready to surprise some people, I just don't get that vibe with this one at all.

Dogfrog

Probably true. And to be totally honest, I'm not as pumped about this weekend as I might otherwise be because I'm not optimistic at all we can make it past Sunday. I'd love to be totally wrong but this team doesn't seem like one that could knock off a really good team in a win-or-you're-done environment. Sometimes you get the feeling a team is kind of being overlooked and is ready to surprise some people, I just don't get that vibe with this one at all.

So IOW you won’t get excited until “we” get to the sweet 16?

Wexahu

So IOW you won’t get excited until “we” get to the sweet 16?

I'll be watching and come gametime it'll be like normal, but my expectations aren't all that high. Not sure I get your "we" comment. The question was why doesn't it seem like TCU fans are all that into this tournament thing, I think I gave a pretty logical reason why the enthusiasm might not be what it normally would be.

Dogfrog

The idea that TCU fans aren’t excited about this is fake news. Detroit is a hard place to get to and our fans are on a steep learning curve.

Wexahu

The idea that TCU fans aren’t excited about this is fake news. Detroit is a hard place to get to and our fans are on a steep learning curve.

OK, never mind then. TCU fans are super-jacked about this game, as this message boards and thread affirms.

By the way, outside of Dallas, I don't think Detroit is any more a "hard place to get to" than any other sectional site, that's just a convenient excuse. There are more than a few non-stop flights each day out of DFW to Detroit and it's about a 2.5 hour flight. Not hard at all if you really want to go.

P

purplePPO

People are looking. Not necessarily posting. I am. Plus the game is almost 5 days from the announcement and TCU does not know who they are playing yet. Its hard to focus on any one opponent if you dont know who it is and get very excited. Closer to game day on Friday people will start doing more cartwheels if that's what your expecting. Go Frogs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dogfrog

OK, never mind then. TCU fans are super-jacked about this game, as this message boards and thread affirms.

By the way, outside of Dallas, I don't think Detroit is any more a "hard place to get to" than any other sectional site, that's just a convenient excuse. There are more than a few non-stop flights each day out of DFW to Detroit and it's about a 2.5 hour flight. Not hard at all if you really want to go.

This isn’t a bowl game where you have a month to prepare. Five days notice that we are in and location. Tough for many families to pull off.

My rant is starting now. This guy can’t be excited because he doesn’t think we can win. OMG this can’t be real can it? Our team just made the tourney for the first time in two decades and this, I don’t have the word to use, so called fan isn’t excited because we’re not going to win the whole thing. All Frog fans should be thrilled with making the tourney and yet I bet he’s not alone. There are no words to describe how truly stupid this is. I give up.

TCU fans need to learn how to enjoy the successes that our athletic teams have. I don’t understand how anyone can only enjoy things when we’re winning at the highest level.

Rant over.

Wexahu

My rant is starting now. This guy can’t be excited because he doesn’t think we can win. OMG this can’t be real can it? Our team just made the tourney for the first time in two decades and this, I don’t have the word to use, so called fan isn’t excited because we’re not going to win the whole thing. All Frog fans should be thrilled with making the tourney and yet I bet he’s not alone. There are no words to describe how truly stupid this is. I give up.

TCU fans need to learn how to enjoy the successes that our athletic teams have. I don’t understand how anyone can only enjoy things when we’re winning at the highest level.

Rant over.

Way to take what I said completely out of context. In my opinion people were MAYBE a little more pumped in 1998 because they thought that team had a legitimate chance to go pretty far, even the final four with a little luck. Doesn’t mean I’m not excited for the game Friday or that I don’t care, just that my expectations aren’t all that high which might dampen the enthusiasm a bit. This whole thread is about why people aren’t more into it, I’m just suggesting a possible reason why. I don’t think anyone isn’t looking forward to the game(s).