• The KillerFrogs

2016 College Baseball Season Thread

TCUdirtbag

Don't mean to just be negative, but I'm afraid we don't have the starting pitching to win a double elim tournament or regional. We certainly can't afford a quick fall into the losers bracket.

Moose Stuff

TCUdirtbag said:
Don't mean to just be negative, but I'm afraid we don't have the starting pitching to win a double elim tournament or regional. We certainly can't afford a quick fall into the losers bracket.
I'm pretty sure we don't have a good enough club to win a regional, a super regional, and then Omaha..... But to say we don't have the ability to win a just a regional is beyond ABSURD. Damn near every team that makes the tourney is capable of winning a regional.

ftwfrog

TCUdirtbag said:
Neither did Stony Brook. It's baseball. Wacky boat happens.

Pharm Frog

TCUdirtbag said:

I agree on the second part and I would agree with that for the vast majority of teams that will make the field of 64.  I don't agree with the first part unless (and this is a big caveat) our pitching has to hold teams to under three runs to win.  I think we'd be in trouble as would virtually all teams.  I am actually more concerned with our difficulty scoring runs without the benefit of free passes (which can't be counted on the further you advance).  I still don't think there's very many teams who will feel comfortable with TCU in the same region and none in a super regional.

TCUdirtbag

Moose Stuff said:
But to say we don't have the ability to win a just a regional is beyond ABSURD.
Think my point was pretty clear that it's going to be difficult, especially if we fall into the losers bracket, not that we are completely unable.

If we had Baker and if Hill had developed better I'd feel much better. Traver's return and Janczak's recent performance is certainly a bright spot that makes us competitive.

Pitching staffs take a beating in these Big 12 Tourny/regional formats. Much easier in Supers and Omaha when you don't need 4+ starting pitchers.

Pharm Frog

PurplePutt said:

That is nice.  However, I do wonder just how much time college coaches get to watch games played outside of their own conference once conference schedules begins.  There's no doubt in my mind that the Frogs' early season run made an impression.  And, I'd still give coaches greater weight on these matters than most of the so-called college baseball experts who always seem to have a tilt to their observations and rankings.  I think #11 is fair.  I would have said the same for most anything from #9 and #19.  I just wish post-season baseball could be played in series rather than tournament format.  But I also wish spring outdoor tennis could be played outside.

Purp

Pharm Frog said:

That is nice.  However, I do wonder just how much time college coaches get to watch games played outside of their own conference once conference schedules begins.  There's no doubt in my mind that the Frogs' early season run made an impression.  And, I'd still give coaches greater weight on these matters than most of the so-called college baseball experts who always seem to have a tilt to their observations and rankings.  I think #11 is fair.  I would have said the same for most anything from #9 and #19.  I just wish post-season baseball could be played in series rather than tournament format.  But I also wish spring outdoor tennis could be played outside.
At the open house Schloss was demonstrating the video/analytics software they use for opponent prep.  He mentioned that they gather film on everybody they might play throughout the season, but they don't watch much of it.  They have some student volunteers who gather and concatenate the pertinent video clips for film study.  They'll watch everything before they play an opponent, but very little if any before they play someone.

All that said, I do think coaches would use the analytics tools like the one Schloss demonstrated to make their picks in a poll like this.  He's got access to as much data on teams around the country as John Daniels does of major league and minor league players.  It was very impressive and I have a feeling they use stuff like that to measure themselves against other squads around the college baseball landscape.

Pharm Frog

Purp said:
All that said, I do think coaches would use the analytics tools like the one Schloss demonstrated to make their picks in a poll like this.

I don't think they put more than 5 minutes into in-season polls and maybe even outsource it to someone in the athletic department.  Just my opinion.  I know that in lower divisions (like D2) there are a lot more games played with in-season polling because you can influence the NCAA regional rankings.  In a former life, I helped played that game.  I assume its somewhat the same.

Moose Stuff

ftwfrog said:
Meh. I'm over it. He would have not been here this season anyways. I don't need Boomer in College Station for me to root against A&M.
I think it's actually more likely that he would have still been here than not.

TCUdirtbag

leofrog said:
Here are the final predictions before the conference tourneys start. They both have us traveling, and really out of the last few as a host. Again, there's a lot of baseball to be played this week.

http://www.d1baseball.com/projections/d1baseball64052416/

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/projected-field-of-64-may-24/#JhQMYhDJAhIL408o.97

D1:
D1 has us as the 2-seed in the Baton Rouge/LSU Regional.  Paired against #8 national seed Virginia.

BA:
BA has us as the 2-seed in the Coastal Carolina Regional.  Paired against #1 national seed Miami (side note: I agree with Miami as the #1 NS and think they should get it over UF/A&M).  Think that is a very winnable regional for the Frogs (but don't kid yourself, Coastal Carolina is good and the projected 3-seed, Wake, is dangerous).  Going to be Coral Gables would be insanely difficult, but it would be a great matchup.  

Not bad, really.  TCU isn't out of the hosting mix.  Think if the current 5-game win streak gets to 8 (putting us in the b12 champ game), then we have a solid shot at hosting (Big 12 is the #3 RPI conference and just one host is rough treatment for the #3 league).  

Odds probably are that we'll be traveling for a regional, but there's still hope for more baseball at Lupton!

TCUdirtbag