• The KillerFrogs

2016 College Baseball Season Thread

TCUdirtbag

We're 60 days away from opening day of the 2016 College Baseball Season, so it's time to get the 2016 season thread started.

The first preseason poll is out, and our 2016 Frogs come in at #15:

Collegiate Baseball News Preseason Poll:  (TCU opponents in bold)
(1) Florida; (2) Louisville; (3) Vanderbilt; (4) Miami; (5) Texas A&M; (6) Louisiana-Lafayette; (7) LSU; (8) Oregon State; (9) Virginia; (10) UCLA; (11) Mississippi State; (12) Cal State Fullerton; (13) California; (14) Oregon; (15) TCU; (16) Florida State; (17) Missouri State; (18) Houston; (19) Tulane; (20) Rice; (21) Georgia Tech; (22) North Carolina; (23) Michigan; (24) Arkansas; (25) Oklahoma State; (26) Stony Brook; (27) Notre Dame; (28) Kentucky; (29) Maryland; (30) Pepperdine; (31) Dallas Baptist; (32) College of Charleston; (33) Coastal Carolina; (34) Missouri; (35) South Carolina; (36) San Diego State; (37) South Alabama; (38) Winthrop; (39) Texas Tech(40) Texas

Other TCU Opponents receiving votes:
Loyola MarymountGonzagaUSCWichita StateOklahoma

Full Poll: http://baseballnews.com/collegiate-baseball-div-i-poll-12-21-15/

Many more polls yet to come! NCBWA, Coaches', D1baseball, Baseball America, and Perfect Game. Keep in mind CBN is known for being a very reactionary to recent Ws/Ls. Don't be surprised if many of the others have TCU lower with all the losses and give less credit to the CWS run last June. 

jake102

Texas high school talent down? Or Texas talent leaving the state?

Seems like Houston used to produce a stupid amount of baseball talent.

TCUdirtbag

Moose Stuff said:
Never know how it's gonna play out but there isn't a team in the entire league that's a lock to be good as we sit here today.
This. TCU lost a lot of our lineup and arms. Texas coming off a terrible year.

Also, you can't forget the very strong SEC/ACC bias in all college baseball coverage and polls.

Big 12 contenders will be a lot like last year---TCU, OSU, Tech, Texas and OU. I expect OSU to be named the favorite in the big 12 preseason poll.

Moose Stuff

Jake102 said:

Houston getting better, DBU getting better, Aggies recruiting MUCH better, and a large number of Texas HS kids signing pro contracts the last few years. The last one being key IMO.

TCUdirtbag

Lomez said:
Reloading  season.

I'm pretty optimistic that this team is going to surprise a lot of people and finish ranked, even after losing our weekend rotation, best reliever, closer, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS and CF.  Sounds crazy, but we return a lot of guys that have been in the system, bring in some solid transfers and an outstanding freshmen recruiting class. Not to mention an exceptional (best in the nation?) coaching staff.

FYI––the official roster has been updated: http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/tcu-m-basebl-mtt.html

Noticed Coach Mo's son, Shane Mosiello is on the roster. Good to have him on board. Had no clue Mo had an 18-year old son. 

Pharm Frog

TCUdirtbag said:

I'm pretty optimistic that this team is going to surprise a lot of people and finish ranked, even after losing our weekend rotation, best reliever, closer, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS and CF.  Sounds crazy, but we return a lot of guys that have been in the system, bring in some solid transfers and an outstanding freshmen recruiting class. Not to mention an exceptional (best in the nation?) coaching staff.

FYI––the official roster has been updated: http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/tcu-m-basebl-mtt.html

Noticed Coach Mo's son, Shane Mosiello is on the roster. Good to have him on board. Had no clue Mo had an 18-year old son. 

Yep.  Pitched when healthy for Aledo after transferring from L D Bell.

TCUdirtbag

Thought I'd drop a laughable 2015 tidbit in here on page one.  I mentioned above that most of these writers/services have a huge SEC/ACC (southeastern U.S.) bias.  I found the perfect example in Perfect Game's final 2015 rankings.  As you recall, TCU was one of the final four teams standing in Omaha.  And TCU's last 2 wins came against LSU in the CWS.  PG's final season rankings have LSU at #4 and TCU at #5.  Go figure.  lol.  
http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=11411 

Boomhauer

TCUdirtbag said:
Thought I'd drop a laughable 2015 tidbit in here on page one.  I mentioned above that most of these writers/services have a huge SEC/ACC (southeastern U.S.) bias.  I found the perfect example in Perfect Game's final 2015 rankings.  As you recall, TCU was one of the final four teams standing in Omaha.  And TCU's last 2 wins came against LSU in the CWS.  PG's final season rankings have LSU at #4 and TCU at #5.  Go figure.  lol.  
http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=11411 

Wow, unreal.  Thankfully the baseball tourney isn't limited to 4 teams like the CFP or we'd never get a chance.

Purp

TCUdirtbag said:

FYIthe official roster has been updated: http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/tcu-m-basebl-mtt.html

I'm a little more reserved with my optimism for this team, but I can see a phenomenal season in our future with a few breaks.

I actually have a similar gut feeling for this baseball team as I did for the 2014 football team. I felt like we'd finish that season with 10 wins, but saw a 6 win season and 12 win season depending on a few key events/players. All the right things happened that season, excepting 10 forgetable minutes.

The wild card that year was how a new offense would help an uncertain QB situation, a terrible OL, and WRs who couldn't run the right routes or catch. The wild card for this baseball team is the pitching. There's a ton of talent there, but not much is proven yet. If they meet their potential like the 2014 football team we'll have another amazing season. If they don't we'll be a 3rd-4th place type of team in the conference. We're going to score runs and I think the defense will be solid; it's just hard to project the arms without seeing them.

leofrog

Jake102 said:

Schloss talked about his recruiting philosophy last year at a Diamond Club meeting. This is how he wants to recruit.

1). Get the best player
2). Get the best player from Texas
3). Get the best player from the Metroplex

He would like for #3 to happen all the time, but it doesn't. He mentioned last year that the staff spent a lot of time in California last summer, because there were 10-12 better SS there than the best SS in Texas. It was an off year in Texas for that position, so we had to go outside the state. Also, another thing to remember, because of the stupid scholarship limits, we can't build depth like they can in football, and even basketball.

TCURiggs

leofrog said:
Schloss talked about his recruiting philosophy last year at a Diamond Club meeting. This is how he wants to recruit.

1). Get the best player
2). Get the best player from Texas
3). Get the best player from the Metroplex

He would like for #3 to happen all the time, but it doesn't. He mentioned last year that the staff spent a lot of time in California last summer, because there were 10-12 better SS there than the best SS in Texas. It was an off year in Texas for that position, so we had to go outside the state. Also, another thing to remember, because of the stupid scholarship limits, we can't build depth like they can in football, and even basketball.

Maybe it's the wrong thread for this, but can someone give me the cliff notes version of why a team like Vandy has such a recruiting advantage over us? How is their scholarship/financial situation so different from ours, and will we ever be able to do what they do?

jake102

TCURiggs said:

Maybe it's the wrong thread for this, but can someone give me the cliff notes version of why a team like Vandy has such a recruiting advantage over us? How is their scholarship/financial situation so different from ours, and will we ever be able to do what they do?
Pretty sure they give everyone full rides either through athletics or academics. Or something along those lines

cdsfrog

New Era.

Rebuilding? Maybe. Or perhaps reloading for another epic run.

But remember how good Morrison was as a freshman? Everyone knew he would be a star, except 1 person.....

Losing Morrison and Teakell is brutal but we always reload 

Moose Stuff

TCURiggs said:

I don't know exactly how it works, but just about every guy at Vandy is on 100% scholarship. They simply fund more financial aid for baseball players than TCU does. Rice does similar. It's a big disadvantage for TCU when recruiting a kid who doesn't come from a wealthy family.