• The KillerFrogs

2015 Baseball - General Thread

leofrog

#1 TCU (7-1): trending: n/c
1-0
All games in 3-game series vs. Cal Poly cancelled due to weather. Midweek W over UTA (1-0)
Next up: home vs. Rice midweek, LA roadtrip to play Vandy, UCLA, USC and Loyola-Marymount next weekend/midweek

Even though we beat Texas Southern.

FungoFrog

Tier 1
If I am Schloss...

Tuesday vs. Rice: Morrison

Friday at USC: Young

Saturday at UCLA: Traver

Sunday at Vanderbilt: Morrison

Tuesday at Loyola: Alexander

Following weekend: Morrison on 4 days, Young on 7, Traver on 7, Alexander is my 4th starter the rest of the way with Howard right behind him.

Wins vs Rice and Vandy are most important IMHO, then UCLA, then USC, then Loyola... Line up your talent with the competition... Morrison as a rubber arm so I am not worried about pitching him on 4 full days in back to back starts, he can do it. Keep Young and Traver on regular rest, they aren't as conditioned, put Alexander in the 4 spot and take the pressure off him. We will need him in the postseason, we don't need him to struggle and try to win games for us today, we have other guys who can step up and do that right now.

Clayton Bigsby

Going to the Vandy game with pops and was selfishly thinking of who we'd throw. That lineup wouldn't shock me. Missing out on this last series presents an opportunity to get more creative.

pgdaly84

jewstfrogit said:
I'm prepared for us to lose 2 of the next 5. The next 10 days are going to be incredibly tough.
Definitely a huge early season test. Our schedule this year is brutal, but it sets us up for a national seed if we play well. I think UCLA and Vandy are both consensus Top 5 teams. Rice is always tough against us. Big opportunity to score some major RPI points this week.

Purp

FungoFrog said:
If I am Schloss...

Tuesday vs. Rice: Morrison

Friday at USC: Young

Saturday at UCLA: Traver

Sunday at Vanderbilt: Morrison

Tuesday at Loyola: Alexander

Following weekend: Morrison on 4 days, Young on 7, Traver on 7, Alexander is my 4th starter the rest of the way with Howard right behind him.

Wins vs Rice and Vandy are most important IMHO, then UCLA, then USC, then Loyola... Line up your talent with the competition... Morrison as a rubber arm so I am not worried about pitching him on 4 full days in back to back starts, he can do it. Keep Young and Traver on regular rest, they aren't as conditioned, put Alexander in the 4 spot and take the pressure off him. We will need him in the postseason, we don't need him to struggle and try to win games for us today, we have other guys who can step up and do that right now.
I like this idea except it implies the reason Alexander is struggling is due to pressure.  I'm not ready to demote Alexander yet.  He was arguably our best pitcher at times late last year in high pressure situations so it's hard for me to think the pressure is affecting him.  I would go with this plan this week to get these matchups for the Dodgertown based on current form and b/c the wins in some of these games will be very positive for RPI positioning, but I think I'd come back to Alexander on the Sunday after Loyola if he throws well in that game.  

Trying to manipulate confidence/pressure is a double edged sword and some people respond differently at different times to certain types of motivation.  Who's to say moving Tyler to Tuesdays wouldn't put more pressure on him as he'd only be another bad outing or two away from the bullpen.  Again, I'm not convinced pressure is the problem for him anyway.  It could be that moving him to Tuesday could apply more pressure to him and may heighten his focus and produce better results.

I think Alexander earned himself a longer leash at the end of last season.  If Traver throws another gem over the weekend in in your scenario and Alexander lays another egg I think it will be time to make the move, but if Tyler throws a gem against Loyola I think he should stay on Sundays.

cdsfrog

Purp said:
I like this idea except it implies the reason Alexander is struggling is due to pressure.  I'm not ready to demote Alexander yet.  It was arguably our best pitcher at times late last year in high pressure situations so it's hard for me to think the pressure is affecting him.  I would go with this plan this week to get these matchups for the Dodgertown based on current form and b/c the wins in some of these games will be very positive for RPI positioning, but I think I'd come back to Alexander on the Sunday after Loyola if he throws well in that game.  

Trying to manipulate confidence/pressure is a double edged sword and some people respond differently at different times to certain types of motivation.  Who's to say moving Tyler to Tuesdays wouldn't put more pressure on him as he'd only be another bad outing or two away from the bullpen.  Again, I'm not convinced pressure is the problem for him anyway.  It could be that moving him to Tuesday could apply more pressure to him and may heighten his focus and produce better results.

I think Alexander earned himself a longer leash at the end of last season.  If Traver throws another gem over the weekend in in your scenario and Alexander lays another egg I think it will be time to make the move, but if Tyler throws a gem against Loyola I think he should stay on Sundays.

I'm struggling with that too. I remember being at that game against Oklahoma State and I was so impressed with his accuracy, almost Morrison like. I hope it's just a funk but it worries me that he carried it over from last year.

I will say this, as much as I'm concerned with Alexander being demoted I have basically no concerns about Traver. Guy looks frickin awesome.

cdsfrog

Purp said:
I like this idea except it implies the reason Alexander is struggling is due to pressure.  I'm not ready to demote Alexander yet.  It was arguably our best pitcher at times late last year in high pressure situations so it's hard for me to think the pressure is affecting him.  I would go with this plan this week to get these matchups for the Dodgertown based on current form and b/c the wins in some of these games will be very positive for RPI positioning, but I think I'd come back to Alexander on the Sunday after Loyola if he throws well in that game.  

I'm struggling with that too. I remember being at that game against Oklahoma State and I was so impressed with his accuracy, almost Morrison like. I hope it's just a funk but it worries me that he carried it over from last year.

I will say this, as much as I'm concerned with Alexander being demoted I have basically no concerns about Traver. Guy looks frickin awesome.

10 Key Frog

jewstfrogit said:
I'm prepared for us to lose 2 of the next 5. The next 10 days are going to be incredibly tough.
This, if we can escape with just 1 loss in those 5, then I will consider the stretch a resounding success. 2 losses out of 5 would still be a good showing.

It'll be a tough set with Rice, UCLA, and Vandy all thought highly of. USC is still undefeated right now (although I will say they've played rather weak competition so hard to tell on them). And Loyola is sitting at 7-4 and seem hard to tell so far.

jake102

Rice really really needs to go ahead and come up tomorrow. Looking almost certain that the game will not play Wednesday. Tomorrow looks like a nice night for playing though.

Looking like four games this week... I will be OK with two wins, very happy with three.

10 Key Frog

Jake102 said:
Rice really really needs to go ahead and come up tomorrow. Looking almost certain that the game will not play Wednesday. Tomorrow looks like a nice night for playing though.

Looking like four games this week... I will be OK with two wins, very happy with three.
Isn't the game already scheduled for Tuesday and not Wednesday? Is according to my schedule at least.

jake102

10 Key Frog said:
Isn't the game already scheduled for Tuesday and not Wednesday? Is according to my schedule at least.

You're right. No idea why I was thinking Wednesday.

Should be a good one

tcujsauce

Frogs On A Plane said:
May have to wait and try and coordinate a weekend when Ron/Purp/Riggs/Arguy/J-Sauce etc are going to be there. Wouldn't mind some more washers/beer/heaters.
Not sure about the other richardheads, but either the OSU (3/20-22) or Wichita State (3/27-29) both look good to me for something in the near future.

Purp

TCU J-Sauce said:
Not sure about the other richardheads, but either the OSU (3/20-22) or Wichita State (3/27-29) both look good to me for something in the near future.
Both of those weekends look good for me at the moment, but it'll be tough to predict what kind of stuff could come up between now and then.  If this comes together, though, I think we'd make it out there.