• The KillerFrogs

2011 Rose Bowl Aerial Shot During Flyover

HToady

Remember that the Rose Bowl officials were wearing red jackets so you have to account for them.

I would estimate that there were 20,000 of them and they were all rooting for TCU!

swissfrog

Just got home not to long ago, been meaning to ask this...Did Wisconsin just have a bunch of fans in town hanging out that didnt go to the game? Everywhere I went I was totally out numbered until I went into the stadium and saw all the purple. I know all the red I saw couldnt fit into the stadium with the amount of fans we had there.

We were in the wrong place/wrong time on the Santa Monica Pier during the Badger Pep Rally, overheard several people talking about needing tickets, even some that had driven down = stupid in my dictionary. I guess I would just never drive that far for a game I didn't already have tickets for or wasn't guaranteed a way of getting tickets. However, they weren't that hard to come by, a young couple wearing red in route to the game bought some end zone seats for $40 each. Translation - I guess there were several thousand that came for the experience without tickets in hand and generally speaking, from a fan base, with 377k living W alumni vs. TCU @ ~77k, I'm presuming there are many more LA area Wisc fans that helped populate some of these fan bases we speak of.

Did the Farmers Insurance Blimp go into higher orbit to get this?

If you look in the top left of this photo I took, you can see the airplane that was taking the overhead photos.

DSC_3490-1.jpg

yurintroubl

I know that I can't bump because this thread is pinned -

Just wanted to let y'all know I added some images to the original post (a few pics I've found over the last week or so that featured different stadium views y'all might enjoy).

Deep Purple

If I may be given the latitude to put on my nerd hat a little, listed attendance was 94,188. If you start a half section counterclockwise from 6 o'clock and sweep over almost two full sections counterclockwise of midfield (3 o'clock), that part of the stadium is almost completely purple. That portion is roughly sweeping an arc of 117 degrees, or 32% of the stadium. It's a little hard to tell what is shadow and what is shirt color but the next three sections continuing counter-clockwise also appear to have significant numbers (50% ish?) in purple ... an arc of about 39 degrees (11% of the stadium). Then it is almost all Wisconsin from 6 o'clock to 1 o'clock, clockwise.

So estimating:
100% TCU -- 32% of 94,188 = 30,140
50% TCU -- 11% of 94,188 * 50% = 5,180
Then you've got the section halved at 6 o'clock which appears to be about 6 degrees (1.6%) and is roughly 3/4 purple = 1.6% of 94,188 * 75% = 1,130

That would put the estimate of total purple people at 36,450 or 39% of the crowd. 61% Wisconsin.

Considering that our attendance at the game is roughly equivalent to half of our alumni base, I'd say we traveled pretty effing good. We brought almost our average home game attendance to that game.
Also add in the many isolated TCU fans sitting in the Wisconsin section. They're hard to spot in photos because purple, being a "cool" color, doesn't strike the retina like a "hot" color such as red. But looking through my binoculars, I saw plenty of purple in the Wisconsin section.

This is the best overhead stadium shot I've seen. It doesn't have all the shadow of the flyover shot and provides a better view of the crowd colors.

rosebowl.jpg

Mr. Big

Don't forget: Wisconsin was alloted twice the ticket allocation than was TCU due to size difference of schools. That fact alone given the results shows how we "out traveled" them.

If I may be given the latitude to put on my nerd hat a little, listed attendance was 94,188. If you start a half section counterclockwise from 6 o'clock and sweep over almost two full sections counterclockwise of midfield (3 o'clock), that part of the stadium is almost completely purple. That portion is roughly sweeping an arc of 117 degrees, or 32% of the stadium. It's a little hard to tell what is shadow and what is shirt color but the next three sections continuing counter-clockwise also appear to have significant numbers (50% ish?) in purple ... an arc of about 39 degrees (11% of the stadium). Then it is almost all Wisconsin from 6 o'clock to 1 o'clock, clockwise.

So estimating:
100% TCU -- 32% of 94,188 = 30,140
50% TCU -- 11% of 94,188 * 50% = 5,180
Then you've got the section halved at 6 o'clock which appears to be about 6 degrees (1.6%) and is roughly 3/4 purple = 1.6% of 94,188 * 75% = 1,130

That would put the estimate of total purple people at 36,450 or 39% of the crowd. 61% Wisconsin.

Considering that our attendance at the game is roughly equivalent to half of our alumni base, I'd say we traveled pretty effing good. We brought almost our average home game attendance to that game.

Limp Lizard

Just got home not to long ago, been meaning to ask this...Did Wisconsin just have a bunch of fans in town hanging out that didn't go to the game? Everywhere I went I was totally out numbered until I went into the stadium and saw all the purple. I know all the red I saw couldn't fit into the stadium with the amount of fans we had there.
Where I was staying, at the Renaissance Hollywood, it was heavy TCU people. A lot depended on where you were, although, obviously Wisky had the TCU people outnumbered, thanks to it being over 4 times larger enrollment.

One thing that is worth noting is that a lot of the TCU fans I talked to were not alumni. Lots of OU people, even aggies, put on purple and paid big bucks to go to the game. Like Wacker used to say, we need a lot of 10-game fans (during 11 game seasons). It has taken a while, but it looks like we are finally beginning to pull in the non-alumni DFW crowd. I have to say a special thanks to those folks.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Remember that the Rose Bowl officials were wearing red jackets so you have to account for them.

I would estimate that there were 20,000 of them and they were all rooting for TCU!
Not just officials but the security, ushers, etc--all wearing bright red. There were a bunch of them.