• The KillerFrogs

2011 Rose Bowl Aerial Shot During Flyover

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
Unfortunately the BCS cares. America cares. A good football program and team involves your fan base. That is a fact. Maybe stupid, but important indeed.
Well, aren't you just the [ Finebaum ] in the Rose Bowl? This was the best-attended Rose Bowl game in a decade and had the second biggest crowd since the stadium was downsized considerably in 1998. We had a minimum of 30,000 people there, maybe 35,000. Heck, maybe more. There was a lot of purple there. We made our presence felt.

PurpleHills

Well, aren't you just the [ Finebaum ] in the Rose Bowl? This was the best-attended Rose Bowl game in a decade and had the second biggest crowd since the stadium was downsized considerably in 1998. We had a minimum of 30,000 people there, maybe 35,000. Heck, maybe more. There was a lot of purple there. We made our presence felt.

+100

Amen!

PH

yurintroubl

Here are some of the marching band pictures.

Enjoy!

Well PhotoPilot... I must say - Your seats for the game are beyond nosebleed, but the view is breathtaking!!

I stumbled across your image in the wee hours of the morning and I knew how many people here would be excited to see it. Hoped that posting it while crediting you as the source would be OK with you. Very happy to see you've stumbled upon this particular TCU enclave. :biggrin:

LOVE the band formation images! I'm bookmarking your site and look forward to seeing your next snapshot from the Über-uppermostest deck!

photopilot

Well PhotoPilot... I must say - Your seats for the game are beyond nosebleed, but the view is breathtaking!!

I stumbled across your image in the wee hours of the morning and I knew how many people here would be excited to see it. Hoped that posting it while crediting you as the source would be OK with you. Very happy to see you've stumbled upon this particular TCU enclave. :biggrin:

LOVE the band formation images! I'm bookmarking your site and look forward to seeing your next snapshot from the Über-uppermostest deck!

As long as a credit is there, everything is good. Glad you like the band shots!! I really like them too. We're always posting new stuff, so if you've got some downtime, just hop over and check out the site.

Also, I just got an email and the F-18 picture might be in the next Sports Illustrated magazine. If you're a reader, keep an eye out.

joejordan

I think perceptually we were hurt by the fact that we were the "home" team and the cameras were all shooting the game from TCU's side. On TV all you ever saw was red, aside from the occasional crowd or overhead shot ...
The good news? Watching the replays, there were LOTS of overhead shots. My BinLaw called to ask me if the entire alumni base was at the game. He's a Michigan Wolverine.

I think some of us are seeing this photo with some purple glasses on and overstating the purple presence on the other half of our sideline. I saw a lot more red in there than purple, and I believe this is where most of the corporate and local seats were so many of the darker colors are probably neutral fans. Also, the solid red extends into the purple at the very top at 6:00, and then around past 12:00 by about half a section. So that's already at least 55-57% of just the solid red.

I'm seeing 65/30/5 (Wisc/TCU/Neutral). Still awesome, IMO. Just trying to keep it honest.

Great photo. Please keep 'em coming. I love this kind of stuff. Your blog is awesome.

berryfrog95

If I may be given the latitude to put on my nerd hat a little, listed attendance was 94,188. If you start a half section counterclockwise from 6 o'clock and sweep over almost two full sections counterclockwise of midfield (3 o'clock), that part of the stadium is almost completely purple. That portion is roughly sweeping an arc of 117 degrees, or 32% of the stadium. It's a little hard to tell what is shadow and what is shirt color but the next three sections continuing counter-clockwise also appear to have significant numbers (50% ish?) in purple ... an arc of about 39 degrees (11% of the stadium). Then it is almost all Wisconsin from 6 o'clock to 1 o'clock, clockwise.

So estimating:
100% TCU -- 32% of 94,188 = 30,140
50% TCU -- 11% of 94,188 * 50% = 5,180
Then you've got the section halved at 6 o'clock which appears to be about 6 degrees (1.6%) and is roughly 3/4 purple = 1.6% of 94,188 * 75% = 1,130

That would put the estimate of total purple people at 36,450 or 39% of the crowd. 61% Wisconsin.

Considering that our attendance at the game is roughly equivalent to half of our alumni base, I'd say we traveled pretty effing good. We brought almost our average home game attendance to that game.

BRAVO!

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
If I may be given the latitude to put on my nerd hat a little, listed attendance was 94,188. If you start a half section counterclockwise from 6 o'clock and sweep over almost two full sections counterclockwise of midfield (3 o'clock), that part of the stadium is almost completely purple. That portion is roughly sweeping an arc of 117 degrees, or 32% of the stadium. It's a little hard to tell what is shadow and what is shirt color but the next three sections continuing counter-clockwise also appear to have significant numbers (50% ish?) in purple ... an arc of about 39 degrees (11% of the stadium). Then it is almost all Wisconsin from 6 o'clock to 1 o'clock, clockwise.

So estimating:
100% TCU -- 32% of 94,188 = 30,140
50% TCU -- 11% of 94,188 * 50% = 5,180
Then you've got the section halved at 6 o'clock which appears to be about 6 degrees (1.6%) and is roughly 3/4 purple = 1.6% of 94,188 * 75% = 1,130

That would put the estimate of total purple people at 36,450 or 39% of the crowd. 61% Wisconsin.

Considering that our attendance at the game is roughly equivalent to half of our alumni base, I'd say we traveled pretty effing good. We brought almost our average home game attendance to that game.

Clearly, getting ripped on Glenlivet doesn't affect THAT part of your brain....

yurintroubl

Personally - I was a big fan of the 50/50 End Zone split shot. Especially on the missed FG attempt...

bscap0001sm.jpg

Left Side: WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!! :tongue: .....Right Side: Sad Faces :huh:

Trelvis

Just got home not to long ago, been meaning to ask this...Did Wisconsin just have a bunch of fans in town hanging out that didnt go to the game? Everywhere I went I was totally out numbered until I went into the stadium and saw all the purple. I know all the red I saw couldnt fit into the stadium with the amount of fans we had there.

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
Just got home not to long ago, been meaning to ask this...Did Wisconsin just have a bunch of fans in town hanging out that didnt go to the game? Everywhere I went I was totally out numbered until I went into the stadium and saw all the purple. I know all the red I saw couldnt fit into the stadium with the amount of fans we had there.
I wondered the same thing. The stadium looked about 60-40. The LA area and the Rose Bowl parking lots felt like about 90-10.

Trelvis

I wondered the same thing. The stadium looked about 60-40. The LA area and the Rose Bowl parking lots felt like about 90-10.

Seriously. I couldnt drive, walk, get on a elevator without being out number at least 3-1. I took the Gold Line to the game and the entire train was red besides a few other TCU fans.

Big Frog II

I think they did just come to hang out. Of course on Sunday and Monday, it was as if the vast majority of the Wisconsin fans vanished.

Pharm Frog

Watched the game on DVR last night after getting back home. In a lot of the shots coming back from commercial, it was pretty clear that there were a substantial number of red-clads that were there on-site but did not have tickets to the game. Seemingly hundreds were hanging out around the periphery of the stadium and I don't think I saw a single person in purple during these outside the game shots. To some this was a party, to others it was a football game, to others it was an experience, and perhaps blends of all three. I'd wager that there were more of the "party-oriented" among the Wiscy fans than Frog fans....lots more.