• The KillerFrogs

joejordan

After the mid 60's, TCU was slow to respond to the changing strategies of college football, namely 2 platoon recruiting and 'meat on the hook' stockpiling of players. This organizational lack of commitment dogged the Horned Frogs for decades, with the lament of 'no depth' being heard into the 1990's. Add to that the on field death of a head coach, and the highly publicized crippling injury of a player, not to mention the near-death-penalty experience of 1985 and the dissolution of the SWC and you may be better able to see why TCU football was largely irrelevant from 1965 till 1998.

This is a great time to be a Horned Frog! Revel in it, Purple Nation!

froginaustin

QUOTE(crunch @ Aug 6 2010, 01:03 PM) [snapback]608475[/snapback]
After the mid 60's, TCU was slow to respond to the changing strategies of college football, namely 2 platoon recruiting and 'meat on the hook' stockpiling of players. This organizational lack of commitment dogged the Horned Frogs for decades, with the lament of 'no depth' being heard into the 1990's. Add to that the on field death of a head coach, and the highly publicized crippling injury of a player, not to mention the near-death-penalty experience of 1985 and the dissolution of the SWC and you may be better able to see why TCU football was largely irrelevant from 1965 till 1998.

:happy:

Leap Frog

The Longhorns' resume would look a lot better if not for the Roaches. TCU has cost the Horns 3 NC's for sure and stopped their hopes for SWC titles many times. Seems like the Frogs could always get up for Texas, especially when a championship was at stake. That is, until Royal started playing with a stacked deck. Like crunch says, enjoy what's happening now.

Frog DJ

My parents gave me TCU-UT tickets for my 11th birthday in 1959, but because of the ice storm my Mom made my Dad turn the car around in Waco (10 miles north of where the ice disappeared from I-35), and we listened to the Frogs beat the Horns on the radio. (Yes, it was Kern Tipps, as I recall).

I was elated TCU won, but crushed we didn't get to see it in person.

Go Frogs!

Shooter

QUOTE(Frog DJ @ Aug 6 2010, 03:22 PM) [snapback]608593[/snapback]
My parents gave me TCU-UT tickets for my 11th birthday in 1959, but because of the ice storm my Mom made my Dad turn the car around in Waco (10 miles north of where the ice disappeared from I-35), and we listened to the Frogs beat the Horns on the radio. (Yes, it was Kern Tipps, as I recall).

I was elated TCU won, but crushed we didn't get to see it in person.

Go Frogs!

I was at the game and had to chip ice off the seat. Harry Moreland stole the show scoring on 50 yd+ run in the 4th qtr to beat the #2 horns 14-9. Great game but really cold.

2314@work

Contributor

BTW, it's "Meat on the Hoof." I assume you know that is a tell-all book about Royal and UT written by former (and late) Longhorn Gary Shaw.
If guerinrules or gdu would ever read that book they would hate UT forever.

dannyfrog

The first accident occurred early in the first quarter. Saxton took a short pass from Mike Cotten and wiggled 45 yards down the right sideline. He was finally tackled on the 10 by Donnie Smith, and then, as he rolled over on the ground, in came Bobby Plummer, a 220-pound tackle. "I was trying to miss him," Plummer said later. He failed. His knee hit Saxton in the head and Jimmy was knocked unconscious.

Bobby is doing well these days with a new girlfriend, since his wife passed away a few years back. And he plays golf on a regular basis in the Houston area. His brother, Don, is doing good as well losing alot of weight and staying in shape.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Add to that the on field death of a head coach, and the highly publicized crippling injury of a player...

Actually, there were two. Both Kent Waldrep and Matt Moore (?) suffered crippling injuries while on the field for TCU.

joejordan

QUOTE(PurplFrawg @ Aug 7 2010, 09:27 AM) [snapback]608760[/snapback]
Actually, there were two. Both Kent Waldrep and Matt Moore (?) suffered crippling injuries while on the field for TCU.

Thats right. For some reason the Matt Moore tragedy didn't get the national publicity that Kent's injury did. Unfortunately, KW is one of the first things I remember hearing about TCU football.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
There was another Very Near Miss in '83 under Wacker his first year. Two big fumbles and returns had TCU leading the #2 Horns 14-10 into the 4th.

With the help of some timely officiating, UT scores to make it 17-14. TCU gets the ball and works it methodically down the field, eating the clock and getting first and goal on the UT 1 with about a minute to play. Although I am sure we scored, it came down to 4th down. Do we kick a field goal and tie, or go for the win?

Wacker went for it. We didn't get it.

The UT folk around us, however, were delivered from near certain doom and glad to get away with a win. Fred Akers was not sitting comfortably and the Horns were faithful tiring of the team's lackluster performance. Wacker was viewed by most of them (correctly) as a far superior coach. The UT players ran off their sideline and were hugging our guys.

freebird

QUOTE(crunch @ Aug 7 2010, 01:57 PM) [snapback]608874[/snapback]
Thats right. For some reason the Matt Moore tragedy didn't get the national publicity that Kent's injury did. Unfortunately, KW is one of the first things I remember hearing about TCU football.

ARTICLE from 1977
If perhaps you had not already seen it or if it had not been posted for awhile.
Leans a lot to the Alabama side of the picture.
http://www.crimsonreplay.com/gd.php?pg=1

freebird

QUOTE(crunch @ Aug 7 2010, 01:57 PM) [snapback]608874[/snapback]

All-Time Numbers
Matt Moore #33 1994. Matt was paralyzed in practice. He is what TCU represents: over-coming weakness and becoming stronger in the face of adversity.

http://www.texnews.com/texsports97/paths120197.html

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- Gritty, they called him back then.

An unheralded "walk-on" at Texas Christian University, Matt Moore surfaced as a promising running back and, in the spring of 1995, was named TCU's most improved player....

joejordan

QUOTE(fnfreebird @ Aug 7 2010, 04:20 PM) [snapback]608896[/snapback]
ARTICLE from 1977
If perhaps you had not already seen it or if it had not been posted for awhile.
Leans a lot to the Alabama side of the picture.
http://www.crimsonreplay.com/gd.php?pg=1

1997. Yeah, thats a tough story. I had an opportunity to discuss it with TCU's chancellor when I was in school. There is more to the story than 'TCU turned it's back on Kent Waldrep', but as you can imagine it is complicated, legalistic and required some very difficult moral and ethical decisions.

I am very glad that KW has led a productive life, achieving some great goals and helping a lot of people. Best wishes to him and his family.

TCUFrogs

QUOTE(2314 @ Aug 6 2010, 03:37 PM) [snapback]608604[/snapback]
BTW, it's "Meat on the Hoof." I assume you know that is a tell-all book about Royal and UT written by former (and late) Longhorn Gary Shaw.
If guerinrules or gdu would ever read that book they would hate UT forever.

No one wants the truth. :ph34r:

Latest posts