• The KillerFrogs

1938 Baylor at TCU game

TemCatFrog71

Great fun watching the majestry of the single and double wing offenses. The only way to successfully defend them was using the wide tackle six defense which both the Frogs and the Cubs did. That TCU OL was awesome. Great blockers, they ALL could pull, which was a sheer necessity in the Wing offenses. That year was nearing the beginning of the end of the era of the the "single wing". The T snap was just around the corner with its Bar T look that quickly gave way to the Wing T set and some of those great single wing plays run from the T snap. If you ever payed close attention to a Gordon Wood (Brownwwod) or Chuck Curtis offense (Garland & Cleburne especially) you could see about 30 years of offensive football evolution. Both running those old single wing plays from the Wing T formation, Gordon learning them from Warren Woodson (Hardin Simmons) and Chuck from Abe (through Dutch) at TCU. Both guys ended their high School coaching years running that wide tackle six defense as well. By the way, if you don't know Warren Woodson ..... google him. One of the great minds of football (especially offessive) during the 40s and early 50s. Thanks for the video .... highlight of my evening!!

ShreveFrog

Thanks for posting, saw myself on the grassy knoll (kidding), but I was there as a very young brat.
Baylor was good, and this was figured as the Frog's toughest game-- but, after slow start,TCU mangled them.
BU.s qb was "Bullet Bill Patterson" and he got some pre-season hype for honors.
Frogs weren't ranked until after 5th. game vs. Ags. Score was 34-6 and TCU jumped to #7
Then #4 after Baylor, #2 after Tulsa, #1 following 28-6 over Texas, #2 after Rice and #2 at SMU.
Frogs were #1 following Sugar Bowl (Carnegie Tech) and stayed that way.Arky only team to make more than one td (21-14).

So where were you?

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
TCU is wearing white. Don't know when home teams started wearing dark jerseys. Number 8 is there...numbers not as clear on this film.

The main thing I noticed was the cut block downfield on a touchdown run. I think that is illegal now.

I did see David after watching a while, but it looks like 12 started at QB? Maybe bad eyes.

SwissArmyFrog

I looked at the crowd and thought, "Hey, they did white-outs back then!?" And then I realized that men wore white dress shirts to everything back then.

SwissArmyFrog

Also, after the first TD, the Baylor kicker didn't wear a helmet. It's laying on the ground a few feet away, and after he kicks he walks over to get it.

After TCU's long pass TD, our holder has his helmet off - its laying a few feet away.

Last edited: