• The KillerFrogs

1938 Baylor at TCU game

Frog DJ

Thanks for posting this! It was fantastic!

I thought there were quite a few compelling things to watch for.

1. How extremely deep the BU QB set up in the shotgun from time to time.

2. There was literally no bench on the BU sideline - they sat or laid on the ground.

3. TCU came very close to intercepting several passes that fell incomplete, and it was obvious near the end that the BU QB was running for his life.

4. The Frogs won 39-7, but you wouldn't know it to watch this. Most of the scoring plays didn't make the final cut, but back then they couldn't film every play.

Nonetheless, this was incredible to watch, simply because it gives us a perspective how radically the game has changed over the years - and on how much it has stayed the same, in other ways.

If only players still tackled with the same efficiency as back then. Keep your head up, hit 'em with your shoulder, wrap 'em up and bring 'em down!

Go Frogs!

Last edited:

Limp Lizard

Sure it’s 38? Looks like 4 at QB and not 8.
TCU is wearing white. Don't know when home teams started wearing dark jerseys. Number 8 is there...numbers not as clear on this film.

The main thing I noticed was the cut block downfield on a touchdown run. I think that is illegal now.

HG73

Baylor was running a variation of the single wing (I think) and we ran a double wing.

Unbelievable defending that single wing. Both Wichita Falls schools ran it when I was in HS. You never knew who had the ball and that blocking back was just another offensive tackle. Facing that twice a year when nobody else ran it was impossible. And when you played them in WF the scoreboard would go out when you had the ball late in the half or at the end of the game. The Pit.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Thanks for posting this! It was fantastic!

I thought there quite a few compelling things to watch for.

1. How extremely deep the BU QB set up in the shotgun from time to time.
No joke... it's like some noob on NCAA or Madden went nuts calling fake-punt-pass over and over...

Leap Frog

Thanks for posting, saw myself on the grassy knoll (kidding), but I was there as a very young brat.
Baylor was good, and this was figured as the Frog's toughest game-- but, after slow start,TCU mangled them.
BU.s qb was "Bullet Bill Patterson" and he got some pre-season hype for honors.
Frogs weren't ranked until after 5th. game vs. Ags. Score was 34-6 and TCU jumped to #7
Then #4 after Baylor, #2 after Tulsa, #1 following 28-6 over Texas, #2 after Rice and #2 at SMU.
Frogs were #1 following Sugar Bowl (Carnegie Tech) and stayed that way.Arky only team to make more than one td (21-14).