• The KillerFrogs

“Sorry” to Del Conte.

wilson912

Hey, that was just some fun banter between Desmond and Chris. They’re buds. It amazes me how many TCU fans have forgotten that Del Conte is the biggest reason ( thanks Deloss) we are in the Big 12, not to mention a key reason we got Dixon to come home.

We should all say, “thank you Del Conte!” GO FROGS! Beat OSU!

asleep003

Not to take away every thing from Chris … but is it not possible that Chance the gardner/Chauncy Gardener in "Being There" may have some parallels with Chris.... if you consider the amount of money/ the decade of FB wins(GP) prior to arriving/ the Metroplex/ etc. … Hmmmm

Last edited:

Limp Lizard

Del Conte was the perfect AD for TCU at the time. We needed someone who could sell ice to Eskimos: definitely Del Conte. His accomplishments could not have happened without GP, but I don't think most AD's would have been able to do as much as he.

OTOH, I have wondered if his sales talents are wasted at UT. I could raise money there, plus there are so many sources of revenue anyway. Now he will have to be an administrator. And a baby sitter to the plethora of big boosters.

SnoSki

I hold no ill will towards cdc, without his going to Austin to speak with Deloss dodds, there’s a chance it’s louisville in the b12 with wvu and not us.

Dogfrog

CDC loves to tell the story about the visit with Dodds, where he showed up unannounced, then had to wait all day, then ended up having drinks with him. I give a huge amount of credit to CDC for this effort, but I have never believed that is why we got in. Dodds probably likes the story because it makes him appear so important that we came begging. I think this effort certainly didn’t hurt but the main thing it did was give CDC a heroic story to tell. Just my opinion.

BABYFACE

CDC loves to tell the story about the visit with Dodds, where he showed up unannounced, then had to wait all day, then ended up having drinks with him. I give a huge amount of credit to CDC for this effort, but I have never believed that is why we got in. Dodds probably likes the story because it makes him appear so important that we came begging. I think this effort certainly didn’t hurt but the main thing it did was give CDC a heroic story to tell. Just my opinion.

True, but UT was the only holdout and maybe they would have come around anyway without the visit, but we truly will never know. What we do know is this visit pushed UT off the fence and cemented the deal of TCU going to the Big 12. I also think none of this happens without then interim Big 12 commissioner Chuck Neinas and mainly OU and later OSU pushing for a TCU invite.

Neinas planted the TCU seed during an interview on TV during a Big 12 game. I am pretty sure that he went off script here and was hoping to force the issue with some of the Big 12 membership.

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
True, but UT was the only holdout and maybe they would have come around anyway without the visit, but we truly will never know. What we do know is this visit pushed UT off the fence and cemented the deal of TCU going to the Big 12. I also think none of this happens without then interim Big 12 commissioner Chuck Neinas and mainly OU and later OSU pushing for a TCU invite.

Neinas planted the TCU seed during an interview on TV during a Big 12 game. I am pretty sure that he went off script here and was hoping to force the issue with some of the Big 12 membership.

Chuck:
horned_frog_statue.0.jpg

CDC:
images

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
CDC could sell ice to Eskimos.

As to his brief tenure at UT, and the seeming "lack of accomplishment" during this time, it is important to remember just what a sprawling prairie of bloated egos infest the 40 Acres. At TCU, he had a nearly blank slate and plenty of support due to recent success. At UT there are a confusing bunch of agendas all driven by rich egos that constantly need soothing and reassurance. In addition, there's the likely need to go searching for a new Men's Basketball coach, and the shaky behavior of Mensa to ride out. It's riding a tiger...

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Is it safe to assume that everyone that thinks CDC is a snake (or whatever) for leaving his job at TCU has never, nor will ever, change jobs at any point in their career?

None of you have ever sat in a review and told your boss how much you live your job only to take a better offer somewhere else later?

wilson912

Is it safe to assume that everyone that thinks CDC is a snake (or whatever) for leaving his job at TCU has never, nor will ever, change jobs at any point in their career?

None of you have ever sat in a review and told your boss how much you live your job only to take a better offer somewhere else later?

Agree, hate the bitterness these folks have. Just be happy for what he did and move on. Let’s just hope ADJD can keep it going!

Eight

the only real negative i have ever heard about cdc is from some who felt he was always selling and always asking.

granted his primary job at tcu was indeed selling the program not only to the big east and the big 12, but to the alums and various supporters so i can see where he would appear to be always in sales mode.

texas as some have pointed out is a completely different animal. not nearly as much finding money as managing expectations etc...

i am curious how the administrative side of the job is austin is going to agree with him

Latest posts