• The KillerFrogs

Let's discuss potential BCS Bowl Opponents

magicJack

Florida

How we could play Florida: BCS Title Game if Texas loses and Florida beats Alabama in the SEC Title Game. Sugar Bowl if Florida loses SEC title game, Texas wins out, and we drop to the Sugar Bowl.

Florida Pros: Wire-to-wire #1 team until losing to Alabama, would be by far and away the 2nd best SEC team. Media loves the SEC, so beating a SEC team, especially one in the Top 5, would work well. Would beat an experienced and talented team as well.

Florida Cons: Same excuse SEC and Alabama apologists used last year, they "didn't want to be there". They would say Florida had their sights on Pasadena all year and just couldn't get up for a game in the Sugar Bowl. Others will say they beat no good teams throughout the year.

Odds of playing Florida: 1:8 for Sugar Bowl... 1:20 for BCS Title Game.

Alabama

How we could play Alabama: BCS Title Game if Texas loses and Alabama beats Florida in the SEC Title Game. Sugar Bowl if Florida beats Alabama in the SEC title game, Texas wins out, and we drop to the Sugar Bowl.

Alabama Pros: See Florida's pros.

Alabama Cons: See Florida's Cons. Also, Utah dismantled them last year, so people would just say its not impressive since Utah was able to do it as well.

Odds of playing Alabama: 1:7 for Sugar Bowl... 1:25 for BCS title game.

Texas

How we could play Texas: Very slim chance. We could play them in the BCS Title Game if Alabama loses to Auburn but beats Florida in SEC title game, Cincinnati loses as well, and we edge out Alabama for #2 in the final BCS poll. An even smaller chance of meeting them in the Fiesta Bowl - Texas loses to A&M but wins the Big 12, and we finish #3 in the BCS polls behind unbeaten Cincinnati or the BCS spits out a Florida-Alabama rematch in Pasadena(yuck) and the Fiesta Bowl snatches us up.

Texas Pros: Not much explanation needed. I think this is the dream matchup most TCU fans want.

Texas Cons: National media would downplay a win over Texas saying Texas beat no one of quality this year, as their best win right now is Oklahoma State who has impressed no one.

Odds of playing Texas: 1:50 for BCS Title Game.... 1:100 for Fiesta Bowl.

Oklahoma State

How we could play Oklahoma State: Oklahoma State wins out and gets picked by the Fiesta Bowl as the replacement pick for that bowl. The Big 10 runner up or Big East champ gets picked by the Orange, and the Fiesta gets us.

Oklahoma State Pros: Beating the Big 12 2nd place team would shut up many who say we would be a middle of the pack team in the Big 12.

Oklahoma State Cons: They have 2 embarrassing losses already. If we beat them, skeptics would say that Houston and Texas did so as well, even if we blow them out, they will say Texas did so too. Losing to them would be catastrophic. There is nothing to gain in national perception by beating this team.

Odds of playing Oklahoma State: 1:25 for Fiesta Bowl.

Nebraska

How we could play Nebraska: Nebraska shocks the nation and wins the Big 12. TCU does not finish in the BCS Top 2, Orange Bowl takes Texas and Fiesta Bowl takes us.

Nebraska Pros: We could beat them and say we accomplished what Texas could not.

Nebraska Cons: Beating a 3-4 loss team would prove nothing in terms of national perception.

Odds of playing Nebraska: 1:75 for Fiesta Bowl.

Georgia Tech

How we could play Georgia Tech: Good chance of this happening. We do not finish in BCS Top 2, and Orange Bowl takes us with their at-large pick.

Georiga Tech Pros: Beating the ACC Champ is always good, as well as a win over what could be a Top 5 team.

Georgia Tech Cons: People would say we beat them because we had more than a week to prepare for them. Georgia Tech is 0-4 vs. FBS teams that have had more than a week to prepare for them since Paul Johnson took over.

Odds of playing Georgia Tech: 1:3 for Orange Bowl

Iowa

How we could play Iowa: Penn State falls to Michigan State and Iowa gets picked by the Fiesta Bowl. We do not finish in BCS Top 2. Orange Bowl passes on us with their at-large pick and Fiesta Bowl takes us.

Iowa Pros: I honestly can not find one. What good would beating Iowa do for us?

Iowa Cons: People would say they were lucky to get to where they got and were never impressive all year. I don't think beating or even blowing out Iowa would impress people.

Odds of playing Iowa: 1:6 for Fiesta Bowl

Penn State

How we could play Penn State: Penn State wins out and the Fiesta Bowl goes for $$$ over who is more deserving and picks the Nittany Lions. We do not finish in BCS Top 2, Orange Bowl passes on us with their at-large pick and the Fiesta Bowl takes us.

Penn State Pros: We could beat a program with a lot of history, talent, and tradition.

Penn State Cons: Who has Penn State beaten this year? According to the Colley Matrix, their best win is Temple at #46. They have faceplanted in their only 2 big games this year, both at HOME.

Odds of playing Penn State: 1:5 for Fiesta Bowl

Other teams that could play in BCS Bowls but we have astronomical or no chance of playing: Clemson, Boise State, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh

West Coast Johnny

Most plausible match-up = Iowa versus TCU in Fiesta
Next most plausible = Penn State versus TCU in Fiesta
Next most plausible = Georgia Tech versus TCU in Orange
Next most plausible = Oklahoma State versus TCU in Fiesta

Its going to be one of these four matchups - probably Iowa in the Fiesta. We'll kill them.

SoberByGrace

If Florida St upsets FL, and Bammer loses in the SEC Championship game then you get your wish. Maybe. It would be possible that FL would stay high enough in the puters, or you would stay low enough, that the matchup would still be TX/FL. Regardless, Texas is pretty salty in the Rose Bowl. Careful what you ask for....

South Texas Frog

QUOTE(SoberByGrace @ Nov 20 2009, 12:15 PM) [snapback]450592[/snapback]
Regardless, Texas is pretty salty in the Rose Bowl. Careful what you ask for....

Correction - Vince Young was pretty salty in the Rose Bowl.

SeniorFrog

If the Sugar Bowl wants us bad enough could they make a deal with the other bowls to allow us to fall to them (assuming they take the SEC runner-up)?

dnoswalt

QUOTE(magicJack @ Nov 20 2009, 11:29 AM) [snapback]450519[/snapback]
Texas

How we could play Texas: Very slim chance. We could play them in the BCS Title Game if Alabama loses to Auburn but beats Florida in SEC title game, Cincinnati loses as well, and we edge out Alabama for #2 in the final BCS poll. An even smaller chance of meeting them in the Fiesta Bowl - Texas loses to A&M but wins the Big 12, and we finish #3 in the BCS polls behind unbeaten Cincinnati or the BCS spits out a Florida-Alabama rematch in Pasadena(yuck) and the Fiesta Bowl snatches us up.

Texas Pros: Not much explanation needed. I think this is the dream matchup most TCU fans want.

Texas Cons: National media would downplay a win over Texas saying Texas beat no one of quality this year, as their best win right now is Oklahoma State who has impressed no one.

Odds of playing Texas: 1:50 for BCS Title Game.... 1:100 for Fiesta Bowl.

Having the media give excuses for your loss to a non-BCS opponent: Blow Job

Telling every UT fan "scoreboard" for the next 12 months: Priceless

SoberByGrace

QUOTE(Spewblood @ Nov 20 2009, 01:58 PM) [snapback]450764[/snapback]
Having the media give excuses for your loss to a non-BCS opponent: Blow Job

Telling every UT fan "scoreboard" for the next 12 months: Priceless

Texas is in no danger of losing the Scoreboard we have held over you guys for the last 16 years, the most current one being a woodshed type whooping, of the 21 point variety.

SoberByGrace

QUOTE(South Texas Frog @ Nov 20 2009, 01:47 PM) [snapback]450747[/snapback]

Yes, because Vince held USC on 4 and millimeters.......

SoberByGrace

Sorry, can't hear you. I've got plane tickets to Pasadena covering my ears.

QUOTE(Spewblood @ Nov 20 2009, 02:13 PM) [snapback]450791[/snapback]
I think embarassing you in the fiesta bowl after the aggies handed it to would jusify a Scoreboard.

dnoswalt

QUOTE(SoberByGrace @ Nov 20 2009, 02:05 PM) [snapback]450776[/snapback]
Texas is in no danger of losing the Scoreboard we have held over you guys for the last 16 years, the most current one being a woodshed type whooping, of the 21 point variety.

I think embarassing you in the fiesta bowl after the aggies handed it to would jusify a Scoreboard.

SoberByGrace

QUOTE(RadioShackFrog @ Nov 20 2009, 02:19 PM) [snapback]450789[/snapback]
Which would be a great counter argument if the final score were 13-10 and not 41-38 with 1100 yards of offense, or if Young hadn't cranked out almost 500 yards of offense all by himself.....

Hey, Young was SPECIAL that night, to say the least. But if there is no defensive stop at 4th and WAY short, there is no 4th and goal for Vince.

The end zone pick was a thing of beauty, as well. LARCENY, as Razor likes to say......

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(SoberByGrace @ Nov 20 2009, 02:05 PM) [snapback]450777[/snapback]
Yes, because Vince held USC on 4 and millimeters.......

Which would be a great counter argument if the final score were 13-10 and not 41-38 with 1100 yards of offense, or if Young hadn't cranked out almost 500 yards of offense all by himself.....

dnoswalt

QUOTE(SoberByGrace @ Nov 20 2009, 02:15 PM) [snapback]450797[/snapback]
Hey, Young was SPECIAL that night, to say the least. But if there is no defensive stop at 4th and WAY short, there is no 4th and goal for Vince.

The end zone pick was a thing of beauty, as well. LARCENY, as Razor likes to say......

Go home Bryce Hudnall

SoberByGrace

QUOTE(Spewblood @ Nov 20 2009, 02:23 PM) [snapback]450815[/snapback]
Go home Bryce Hudnall

Should that bother me? Seriously? How TexAgs.

Would you like my Facebook info? MySpace? What are you gonna do next, stalk my kids? Internet stalker....wow. Glad to see you're that obsessed.

dnoswalt

QUOTE(SoberByGrace @ Nov 20 2009, 02:27 PM) [snapback]450821[/snapback]
Should that bother me? Seriously? How TexAgs.

Would you like my Facebook info? MySpace? What are you gonna do next, stalk my kids? Internet stalker....wow. Glad to see you're that obsessed.

Yes, please. Those weren't on your profile.

YCBJ Frog

QUOTE(SoberByGrace @ Nov 20 2009, 02:13 PM) [snapback]450794[/snapback]
Sorry, can't hear you. I've got plane tickets to Pasadena covering my ears.

IF Texas is in Pasadena in January, we will still end the season ranked ahead of y'all after Florida/Alabama drops a deuce on Mack Brown's chest. If we get to face OSU in the Fiesta and do to them what everyone knows we would do to them, you can just about guarantee that the final polls will be:

1. Florida/Alabama
2. TCU
3. Texas
4. Alabama/Florida

Enjoy looking at our backsides and going home with a conference championship from a down conference and an arse whooping from Alabama/Florida.

Frog Attack II

QUOTE(SoberByGrace @ Nov 20 2009, 06:15 PM) [snapback]450592[/snapback]
If Florida St upsets FL, and Bammer loses in the SEC Championship game then you get your wish. Maybe. It would be possible that FL would stay high enough in the puters, or you would stay low enough, that the matchup would still be TX/FL. Regardless, Texas is pretty salty in the Rose Bowl. Careful what you ask for....

Win a conference championship and then worry about the Rose Bowl.... good grief... it's like UT is some perennial dragon-slayer every year or something...

With those resources / tax $'s, you should be winning the Big 12 every year & in the NC game every year...

Go brag about your 1 conference championship to each other on your own board.

doswalt

QUOTE(Frog Attack II @ Nov 20 2009, 03:50 PM) [snapback]450965[/snapback]
With those resources / tax $'s, you should be winning the Big 12 every year & in the NC game every year...

Does anyone else find it embarassing that the "number 1" football program in our state can only win a national title every 40 years?

Purple Geezer

QUOTE(South Texas Frog @ Nov 20 2009, 07:47 PM) [snapback]450747[/snapback]

Correction; Pete Carroll was pretty stupid in the Rose Bowl.