• The KillerFrogs

Gameday Thread: TCU at Colorado; Sponsored by Hell's Half Acre Stadium Goods

Virginia Frog

There were plenty of misses all the way around. I still can't figure out what the strategy of getting small defensive linemen was... Anyway, it is done.
If Coach GP reads this thread, I don’t do Twitter, I hope you get a great Power 5 offer at season’s end and get your 200 FBS W. And kiss our old “friend” DelConte on the lips for us.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Morning thoughts...

Unlike the previous four or five seasons this was a game where the Frogs felt completely in control for four quarters. The first half wasn't pretty offensively, but seeing the defense fly to the ball, complete open field tackles, and play fundamentally sound football was encouraging and prevented the onset of panic. We haven't had a game like this, even against non-P5 opponents, in quite some time.

Offensively the line was the most improved unit and with Miller, Demercardo, and Bailey our run game should be something that will keep defensive coordinators up at night. It was nice to finally see a formation that featured both Miller and Demercardo in the backfield, and moving forward with Max behind center that triple threat option should create a ton of problems for defenses.

Defensively I don't think the three man front and sparse blitzing was indicative of what we'll see once we get to Conference play, but even after staying on the field for 22 minutes in the first half they were still fighting on every down and flying to the ball; a vast improvement over the last couple of seasons. I can't remember the last time we played a game and didn't give up a big play for a TD, and that alone was a joy to see.

Special Teams got off to a rough start with the facemask on the opening kickoff but with Davis returning the punt, Sandy's excellent punts, and the kicking game not missing an opportunity to put points on the board I'd say they were phenomenal last night.

A few other points:
  • No clock management idiocy
  • Lost two Frogs to injury, but reports concerning Morris' injury appear to be optimistic
  • Sam Jackson... WOW
  • We need to throw more jump balls to our big receivers, Manziel-style
  • Good to see TEs utilized more than once a season
  • Receivers can block? Who knew!
  • I still hate the WR/bubble screen

Brog

Morning thoughts...

Unlike the previous four or five seasons this was a game where the Frogs felt completely in control for four quarters. The first half wasn't pretty offensively, but seeing the defense fly to the ball, complete open field tackles, and play fundamentally sound football was encouraging and prevented the onset of panic. We haven't had a game like this, even against non-P5 opponents, in quite some time.

Offensively the line was the most improved unit and with Miller, Demercardo, and Bailey our run game should be something that will keep defensive coordinators up at night. It was nice to finally see a formation that featured both Miller and Demercardo in the backfield, and moving forward with Max behind center that triple threat option should create a ton of problems for defenses.

Defensively I don't think the three man front and sparse blitzing was indicative of what we'll see once we get to Conference play, but even after staying on the field for 22 minutes in the first half they were still fighting on every down and flying to the ball; a vast improvement over the last couple of seasons. I can't remember the last time we played a game and didn't give up a big play for a TD, and that alone was a joy to see.

Special Teams got off to a rough start with the facemask on the opening kickoff but with Davis returning the punt, Sandy's excellent punts, and the kicking game not missing an opportunity to put points on the board I'd say they were phenomenal last night.

A few other points:
  • Lost two Frogs to injury, but reports concerning Morris' injury appear to be optimistic
  • Sam Jackson... WOW
When we had that face mask penalty on the opening kickoff of the first game of the season, I thought, what a beginning! Proud of how the team plowed through that first half and then came to life.

Palliative Care

There is certainly a difference in sprain, partial tear and fully torn. An exam on the sideline will definitely show if it is fully torn most of the time. As said above partial tears have various degrees too. Also different ligaments could also be involved. So do like Armstrong and splint and walk with crutches if the injury really seems bad. So if Morris is swalking on his own perhaps a sprain ligament is all there is.

Ron Swanson

Morning thoughts...

A few other points:
  • Sam Jackson... WOW
I don’t disagree with the overall sentiment of your post but I do not understand what you said that in your opening statement. It felt like we were in control for all 4 quarters? What are you talking about? We were absolutely dominated in the first half.

Not to mention, this was basically a carbon copy of our game at Purdue. We couldn’t throw the ball, we ran it up their arse, played great defense and eventually pulled away.

Shorty

When we had that face mask penalty on the opening kickoff of the first game of the season, I thought, what a beginning! Proud of how the team plowed through that first half and then came to life.
I didn't really mind the face mask. Not saying I want dirty players or bonehead mistakes but I'll take a little too much aggression to start the season over coming out flat.

Ron Swanson

I didn't really mind the face mask. Not saying I want dirty players or bonehead mistakes but I'll take a little too much aggression to start the season over coming out flat.
Obviously you shouldn’t grab a facemask like that, but it annoyed me that the announcers didn’t even mention the fact that it was in retaliation for the Colorado guy holding/grabbing him funny.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Are you saying duggan and Mule are in the same category?

If so - they’re busts - obviously some of these guys never played at all

Mule was not as good as Foster
No. I’m saying that while Duggan has not been a home run he has not been a bust, a failure. A guy who starts as many games as Max and who plays the way he has is not a bust.

And I’m one who thought, marginally, Chandler should get the nod this year