• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Expansion

HG73

doesn't cal have to first get an invitation from the big 10 before their leaving for the big 10 be considered a real possibility
I think the school has to apply for membership, otherwise it's tampering by the conference. I'm sure CAL has already applied.

Endless Purple

He's the governor of California and chairman of the board of regents of the University of California system. I have read that he can't officially forbid the move, but he can sure apply pressure if he wants something. Especially if he can get some of the other regents on his side. An extra $70mil for CAL will probably galvanize the board into supporting B1G membership. Just sayin', if the governor gets pissed about this it could go sideways in a hurry.
Yes, he is the governor of California. He has absolutely zero sway in Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Nebraska, Illinois, New Jersey, etc.. He can not make the B1G take a specific school. He only has power to possibly prevent UCLA from going.

HG73

Yes, he is the governor of California. He has absolutely zero sway in Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Nebraska, Illinois, New Jersey, etc.. He can not make the B1G take a specific school. He only has power to possibly prevent UCLA from going.
I'm not sure he even has that much power. But CAL has a lot of stadium debt (nine figures) and the athletic department runs a $25mil deficit every year. CAL desperately needs the B1G money and Newsom sits on the board. Something tells me he's going to push this. If not then why all the complaints about the move?

Eight

I'm not sure he even has that much power. But CAL has a lot of stadium debt (nine figures) and the athletic department runs a $25mil deficit every year. CAL desperately needs the B1G money and Newsom sits on the board. Something tells me he's going to push this. If not then why all the complaints about the move?

same reason why whitmire in houston did all his posturing, so they have a story to tell about going to bat for his school, people etc...... but in the end he is just another politician expressing their thoughts for future potential gain

McFroggin

He's the governor of California and chairman of the board of regents of the University of California system. I have read that he can't officially forbid the move, but he can sure apply pressure if he wants something. Especially if he can get some of the other regents on his side. An extra $70mil for CAL will probably galvanize the board into supporting B1G membership. Just sayin', if the governor gets pissed about this it could go sideways in a hurry.

All posturing. He can’t do [ Finebaum ]. Done deal.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
You're not super pumped about Oregon St vs Boston College? Or Cal vs Wake?
I don’t recall if it was Boston College or Boston University but several years ago for whatever reason ESPN decided to do their Saturday morning game day hosting on their campus and it was an utter disaster. Nobody showed up, the few that wander by were drunk hung over or both. No excitement no buzz no anything. Background campus looked beautiful and green but just a total non-event for the students.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I don’t recall if it was Boston College or Boston University but several years ago for whatever reason ESPN decided to do their Saturday morning game day hosting on their campus and it was an utter disaster. Nobody showed up, the few that wander by were drunk hung over or both. No excitement no buzz no anything. Background campus looked beautiful and green but just a total non-event for the students.
Yeah, it was BC, I don’t think the Terriers had Gameday.

Frozen Frog

Gov. Newsom and the Board likely have some recourse they can take against UCLA. The question is how much is it. They definitely can't force the Big Ten to take Cal. They also probably don't want to force the Big Ten to reconsider taking UCLA. They need that money. If the Big Ten thinks this is going to be too much could they reject UCLA? That is a bigger question. I think what Gov. Newsom fails to recognize is that there are plenty of other belles at this ball. For all the crap it seems to get on this board Stanford is very much a legitimate contender to join the Big Ten. They have the academics, but they also have a well respected athletic program. I am sure the networks know which schools draw viewers, and I have to think Stanford does better than people think. They are also a traditional opponent for a school in Indiana which might have some pull with that school to join the Big Ten.

I don't see Cal being very high on anyone's list of conference realignment choices. Their best bet is probably for the Pac to absorb part of the Big 12. I believe the Pac as of today is in a better position than the Big 12, but if they lose any other schools that is flipped. I think several of the Pac schools don't want anything to do with the B schools in the new Big 12. The 4 mountain schools are probably open to those two.

The Big Ten has a lot of options, and I think one of them might be appealing to a certain SEC school that has begged to join the Big Ten for years. Nebraska has never brought the markets they were supposed to in the deal. There are also schools on the East Coast that have appeal to the Big Ten (BC, 'Cuse, UConn, UVA, Duke, and UNC). I don't think being competitive is an issue right now. It is about creating content and drawing viewers. If a school can do that then they are a candidate.

HG73

Gov. Newsom and the Board likely have some recourse they can take against UCLA. The question is how much is it. They definitely can't force the Big Ten to take Cal. They also probably don't want to force the Big Ten to reconsider taking UCLA. They need that money. If the Big Ten thinks this is going to be too much could they reject UCLA? That is a bigger question. I think what Gov. Newsom fails to recognize is that there are plenty of other belles at this ball. For all the crap it seems to get on this board Stanford is very much a legitimate contender to join the Big Ten. They have the academics, but they also have a well respected athletic program. I am sure the networks know which schools draw viewers, and I have to think Stanford does better than people think. They are also a traditional opponent for a school in Indiana which might have some pull with that school to join the Big Ten.

I don't see Cal being very high on anyone's list of conference realignment choices. Their best bet is probably for the Pac to absorb part of the Big 12. I believe the Pac as of today is in a better position than the Big 12, but if they lose any other schools that is flipped. I think several of the Pac schools don't want anything to do with the B schools in the new Big 12. The 4 mountain schools are probably open to those two.

The Big Ten has a lot of options, and I think one of them might be appealing to a certain SEC school that has begged to join the Big Ten for years. Nebraska has never brought the markets they were supposed to in the deal. There are also schools on the East Coast that have appeal to the Big Ten (BC, 'Cuse, UConn, UVA, Duke, and UNC). I don't think being competitive is an issue right now. It is about creating content and drawing viewers. If a school can do that then they are a candidate.
Actually there aren't any more candidates. The B1G and SEC already have who they want. Nobody else brings enough money. Truth be known I doubt USC/UCLA actually brought enough value, but they got in. Not even Clem or FSU bring enough value. Certainly not Miami, UNC, UVA, Washington or Oregon. If they did they would have already been invited.

ND will do everything to stay independent and NBC will gladly enable them.

Newsom will do all he can to get CAL in the B1G.

tcudoc

That was Boston Scientific. They hosted St. Jude that day. It was a huge clerical scheduling error in the ESPN front office. I’m sure several people got fired that day. On the bright side, I believe that Lee Corso was in the right place at the right time to get an emergency pacemaker placed.