• The KillerFrogs

2023 Recruiting Thread

Froggish

For those unaware Markis Deal has been told he can play OL or DL, his choice, at TCU. He’s a difference maker on either side of the ball

Last edited:

Nick Danger

On Tuesday, 2023 4-star cornerback Chance Rucker from Denton (TX) Ryan High School named his Top-7 programs, which featured TCU, Cal, Arkansas, Michigan State, Florida, Nebraska and Baylor. Rucker, 6-foot-1, 180-pounds, was named District 5-5A-I Defensive Newcomer of the Year last season and also competes in track and field for the Raiders.

froglash88

Wow, the coaches are getting it done.
With Kaiuway, the Frogs now vault into the top 20 in the nation for team composite recruiting rankings, moving from No. 29 to No. 17 overall. They also rank No. 4 in the Big 12 behind Texas Tech, Baylor and West Virginia.

Eight

if you missed the news, frogs have a big time recruit on campus right now with el campo's rueben owen's on campus taking an official visit

same class of running back prospect as evans and the fact he is on campus the summer before his senior season and not after he graduated from high school will definitely be noticed by other members of the 2023 class and beyond

biggest note of this might be the work of eron hodges and if you don't know much about eron or that he is the guy dykes hired to replace samples here is a nice article detailing hodge's impressive recruiting background

Nick Danger

Same class of running back prospect as Evans and the fact he is on campus the summer before his senior season and not after he graduated from high school will definitely be noticed by other members of the 2023 class and beyond

Along this same line of thinking, do you know if he's taking his Official Visit by himself, or are there any other "high profile" recruits visiting at the same time? Just seems like having a couple of prominent recruits and their families being able to interact with each other during their visit, would create more of a mutually re-enforcing "TCU is big time" feel during their visit, than if they visited just by themselves.

Eight

Along this same line of thinking, do you know if he's taking his Official Visit by himself, or are there any other "high profile" recruits visiting at the same time? Just seems like having a couple of prominent recruits and their families being able to interact with each other during their visit, would create more of a mutually re-enforcing "TCU is big time" feel during their visit, than if they visited just by themselves.

anagree that having owens and a few other prominent recruits visiting together would draw more attention than simply rueben as well as forging those bonds as you mention above

not trying to be coy, but i don't know that answer as i am not a pay site guy other than the free stuff they throw out time to time. .

on3 does have an area where they list players who have and are scheduled to visit, but i have no idea how accurate the list is or how current

Last edited:

Palliative Care

It used to be that schools our size had little or no chance of actually signing 5 stars. Let's face it large and particularly SEC and Big 10 schools paid those players under the table and everyone including the NCAA knew it. However, only schools the sizes of us and SMU got punished for this kind of behavior. Now with the open concept of the NIL we are free to offer such players too. The TAM and Alabama's can point fingers at each other all they want but it is the TCU's who will benefit the most. However, I have no illusions that Ohio State's and the SEC do not have more cash to offer. It just means now that as far as pitching ourselves to 5 stars we now stand a chance of actually signing them.

Moose Stuff

The flip side of that is that having him in by himself and dedicating everyone to just him the entire time shows him how important he is to us.

westoverhillbilly

It used to be that schools our size had little or no chance of actually signing 5 stars. Let's face it large and particularly SEC and Big 10 schools paid those players under the table and everyone including the NCAA knew it. However, only schools the sizes of us and SMU got punished for this kind of behavior. Now with the open concept of the NIL we are free to offer such players too. The TAM and Alabama's can point fingers at each other all they want but it is the TCU's who will benefit the most. However, I have no illusions that Ohio State's and the SEC do not have more cash to offer. It just means now that as far as pitching ourselves to 5 stars we now stand a chance of actually signing them.
God, I hope that you're right. I remember Barry Switzer noting in his auto-biography that TCU made a run at the big time in the 80s with a significant (legal and ethical) donation from the Landreth family to the effect that nobody supporting OU could or would do at the time. Available money wasn't the problem at TCU & SMU as you stated, it was the enforcement by the NCAA. However, I do think that NIL may backfire on the big state u's (and hopefully not us) in that the players will feel all the more entitled and won't put in the grueling work it takes to be successful- this seems to have already been going on at UT and A&M for a long time.

Palliative Care

Well it remains to be seen. But know this Dykes is not afraid to put it out there and go after great talent. You can not win being careful and noncommittal. I am not talking about a comparison to Patterson here. What I am saying is Dykes is acting like a big time head coach. The only way TCU competes now is if it does business this way. To be a top level program you have to act and recruit like a top level program.

froglash88

Well it remains to be seen. But know this Dykes is not afraid to put it out there and go after great talent. You can not win being careful and noncommittal. I am not talking about a comparison to Patterson here. What I am saying is Dykes is acting like a big time head coach. The only way TCU competes now is if it does business this way. To be a top level program you have to act and recruit like a top level program.
All it takes is $30 million a year

Toad Jones

What has impressed me is the foundation this staff are building! No comparison to Patterson b/c there is no comparison!! Give this bunch being recruited now plus next cycle and THAT is something to get really excited about!!

I can see some on this staff in the future becoming head coaches themselves. They are that good..

Eight

What has impressed me is the foundation this staff are building! No comparison to Patterson b/c there is no comparison!! Give this bunch being recruited now plus next cycle and THAT is something to get really excited about!!

I can see some on this staff in the future becoming head coaches themselves. They are that good..

think a big key is sonny is not afraid to hire guys who other people want to hire or assistants with aspirations bigger than being part of his program