3. Archibald "Archie" O'Connor
4. Pop Olmstead
5. Heine Valderson
6. Ginger Andrieu
7. Wally Pondexter
8. Patsy Eckard
9. Tugie Lingard
10. Wharburton "Doc" Van Der Koff
Little known fact here about Hoot.. he was close friends with a group of brothers who lived across the street from where he grew up. John, Paul, Thomas and Billy Blowfish. They eventually crated a band called Hootie and the Blowfish Brothers. A record label scout fell in love with their act and the “brothers” part was dropped upon signing. The rest, as they say, is history.

DeuceBoogieNights

Lists like these are always weird. I have no doubt that Jason Verrett could lock down Renfro. Davey was like 5'7 and 150 lbs. They were great players though.

Prime BEEF

Lists like these are always weird. I have no doubt that Jason Verrett could lock down Renfro. Davey was like 5'7 and 150 lbs. They were great players though.
Greatest players based off what they were able to do and produce while wearing a TCU uniform. Not hard. It’s not who would win if competing against each other in an nfl combine like scenario when they were both 22yrs old.

Davey “Slingshot” O’Brien must be #1 because he has a statue, right? Slingin’ Sam mentored him, but I think Slingshot had the single best year in 1938, the best single season TCU performance ever, relative to eras, maybe. The team dominated ‘38, 11-0, and won a clear AP national championship, though Tennessee does stake a claim to ‘38. I believe O’Brien excelled running the ball too as a QB, and may have played some halfback while the “Sweetwater Six-shooter” (Baugh) was still there.

Last edited:

FrogAbroad

Who makes your list? The first half of the list is easier. The second half gets tricky.
I’ll start:
1-Sammy Baugh
2-Bob Lilly
3-Davey O’Brien
4-Ladainian Tomlinson
5-Jim Swink
6-Ki Aldrich
7-Kenneth Davis
8-Jerry Hughes
9-Josh Doctson
10-Mike Renfro
Ask a hundred fans for a Top Ten List and you'll get at least one hundred versions, no two alike. Personally, I think Doc did a pretty good job with his, and he avoided what I consider to be the #1 fallacy with so many rankings: they rank only the players they've seen, in-person or on network television.
This list takes into account players from several eras...looks like Doc gave it some serious thought. Kudos, amigo.

Eight

Who makes your list? The first half of the list is easier. The second half gets tricky.
I’ll start:
1-Sammy Baugh
2-Bob Lilly
3-Davey O’Brien
4-Ladainian Tomlinson
5-Jim Swink
6-Ki Aldrich
7-Kenneth Davis
8-Jerry Hughes
9-Josh Doctson
10-Mike Renfro

how can you possibly for such a list to have any credibility when you have hughes on it and not mathis