• The KillerFrogs

Globe Life Field

Maybe Globe Life Field burning before they played a game was an omen of its unappealing darkness. On TV, it appears dark and cavernous everywhere and the backstop is four suites with tables and a few scattered people backed by black holes. Suites should not be the primary view we have to look at all game—keep them up and away from the eyes of the more common man. The park is structurally cluttered and yet has nothing attractive to the eye, or maybe in its darkness I can’t find anything of interest. The exterior appears industrial ugly too.

It has ARTIFICIAL TURF that still looks like carpet—what the.... A press box view makes me think I am looking in on a Tampa game at Tropicana.

It was bad enough that the ‘Stros were coerced to the American League‘s west coast division with its late night games and long travel, but now the Texas rival Rangers’ ballpark offers nothing appealing—sheesh.

1.1 billion dollars

Last edited:

Eight

Maybe Globe Life Field burning before they played a game was an omen of its unappealing darkness. On TV, it appears dark and cavernous everywhere and the backstop is four suites with tables and a few scattered people backed by black holes. Suites should not be the primary view we have to look at all game, keep them up and away from the eyes of the more common man. The park is structurally cluttered and yet has nothing attractive to the eye, or maybe in its darkness I can’t find anything of interest. The exterior appears generic ugly too.

It has ARTIFICIAL TURF that still looks like carpet—what the.... A press box view makes me think I am looking in on a Tampa game at Tropicana.

Bad enough that the Astros got moved to the west coast American League division with its late night games and long travel, but now the regional rival Rangers’ ballpark offers nothing appealing, sheesh.

1.1 billion dollars

quite simply globe life field is the most arlington looking thing in arlington

Maybe Globe Life Field burning before they played a game was an omen of its unappealing darkness. On TV, it appears dark and cavernous everywhere and the backstop is four suites with tables and a few scattered people backed by black holes. Suites should not be the primary view we have to look at all game—keep them up and away from the eyes of the more common man. The park is structurally cluttered and yet has nothing attractive to the eye, or maybe in its darkness I can’t find anything of interest. The exterior appears generic ugly too.

Bad enough that the Astros got moved to the west coast American League division with its late night games and long travel, but now the regional rival Rangers’ ballpark offers nothing appealing, sheesh.

1.1 billion dollars
It is an awful stadium. I would wager it will have a shorter life than The Ballpark as cray cray as that sounds. Looks like someone designed the thing on Revit/AutoCAD from the early 00's. The saving grace is the development(s) around it.

Frog92

As an early 50 year old, lifelong Rangers fan who grew up in relative proximity and access, I attended 100s of games at old Arlington Stadium. Most in the $5 and later $8 front 8 rows in the OF as a HS then college student. Loved the place (and still have pieces of it in my possession), but the new park was really needed. Lived just down the street when the Ballpark opened. Opening day every year from 1995 to 2014 became a family tradition. Was a 20 game plan purchaser from 2005 through 2014. My two boys reaching HS and summer baseball at a level that made that not work, plus getting pushed out and up with the 2010-2014 great run led to me not continuing. Lots of great memories with my baseball playing boys, including both World Series and the surrounding playoff runs.

The Ballpark in Arlington was, and still should be, a great and beautiful place to see the best in the game. The new place is GREAT once inside. Really well done. But the architectural details, mostly outside, lack in the attention to detail overseen by Tom Schieffer in the construction of the old ballpark. We now have a cold, sterile, retractable BBQ gill exterior with a very well done inside.

It is a great venue as a spectator. Just wish they had a little more foresight to make the seasonally necessary roof part of the 1994 rebuild plan and then the perfectly beautiful and functional facility built in 1994 would still be their home.

ShreveFrog

Does any indoor/retractrable roof baseball stadium look good inside or out? Can't think of one. Inside, even when open, the roof structure ruins the view of the sky and the feeling of being outdoors. Outside ... yuck. From what I've seen, maybe Rogers Centre in Toronto looks ok inside (when open.) T-Mobile Seattle looks ok on the exterior with some traditional baseball stadium touches.
I understand the need for a roof in Arlington, with so many day games on weekends during the summer heat. Though somehow, Atlanta, KC, and St. Louis seem to get by.

Froglaw

Maybe Globe Life Field burning before they played a game was an omen of its unappealing darkness. On TV, it appears dark and cavernous everywhere and the backstop is four suites with tables and a few scattered people backed by black holes. Suites should not be the primary view we have to look at all game—keep them up and away from the eyes of the more common man. The park is structurally cluttered and yet has nothing attractive to the eye, or maybe in its darkness I can’t find anything of interest. The exterior appears generic ugly too.

1.1 billion dollars

Agreed. I dropped my season tickets after almost 30 years.
Bad baseball plus the ER Doc in the box ambiance was just nauseating.

Purp

They could/should have put a roof on the Ballpark for less than $1 billion. That place will be beautiful as long as it's allowed to stand. The disfigured baseball barn caddy corner from it should be razed as a sunk cost. I disagree with those lauding the interior. Nothing about it seems nuanced and representative of baseball except for the distances to the outfield wall. I went in with an open mind, but left thoroughly unimpressed and disappointed. Every time I go back I'm less impressed.

Big Frog II

The Ballpark built in 94 was terrific. Sadly as they closed some of the gaps between the decks it shut off any breeze making the lower level a hot box. Add the fact the MLB started making the Rangers play day games on travel days, people started staying away. Kind of like our football games in September and October at 11 and 2. I still think the could have added a roof for far less than what a new stadium cost, but Arlington wanted to keep the Rangers there instead of allowing Frisco or Plano to steal them. The rest is history.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
They could/should have put a roof on the Ballpark for less than $1 billion. That place will be beautiful as long as it's allowed to stand. The disfigured baseball barn caddy corner from it should be razed as a sunk cost. I disagree with those lauding the interior. Nothing about it seems nuanced and representative of baseball except for the distances to the outfield wall. I went in with an open mind, but left thoroughly unimpressed and disappointed. Every time I go back I'm less impressed.
The original design for the Chiefs and Royals stadiums had a huge rolling arched roof that was supposed move on railroad tracks. I imagine that would not have done much for the heat, but the sun issue would be solved.

Purp

The original design for the Chiefs and Royals stadiums had a huge rolling arched roof that was supposed move on railroad tracks. I imagine that would not have done much for the heat, but the sun issue would be solved.
I'll never be convinced something like that couldn't have been engineered for the Ballpark without taking away from its natural beauty. The steeples are a great feature, but those could be added to a retracting roof. And all of the open spaces on the outside could be filled in with glass to close off hot air enabling the place to be climate controlled.

CryptoMiner

Ugliest ballpark in America. Change my mind.
worst-ballparks-in-major-league-baseball_full_width_17_1200x500_full_width_500x1200_v20180321153152.jpg