• The KillerFrogs

2022 March Madness Thread

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Unfortunately, they did bring Austin Carr who dropped 50 or 60 on use. Goo, Simpson, Ricky Zhall and Snake had big games in that one.

Coco Villarreal and Evans Royal, fan favs, shoot donuts.:cool:
I seem to remember the refs helping them out as well, but Hoffheinz was an incredible venue in the day.

Wexahu

Refs are helping out Auburn massively. Looks like the refs helping out top seeds will continue today
Must be a conspiracy. LOL.

Seriously, complaining about refs is the biggest beating in sports. When you are rooting so hard for a certain result, you end up seeing what you want to see.

Besides, the underdog/cinderella story is what people want to see. That brings in the money. Like the movies. Given that, there's literally no reason for TV execs or referees to want the favorites to win.

LVH

Purdue is being given a massive assist by the refs right now against Yale.

There needs to be a new box score line item for "ref assists"

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

Seriously, complaining about refs is the biggest beating in sports. When you are rooting so hard for a certain result, you end up seeing what you want to see.

Besides, the underdog/cinderella story is what people want to see. That brings in the money. Like the movies. Given that, there's literally no reason for TV execs or referees to want the favorites to win.
"Who ya gonna believe? Me, or yer lyin eyes..."

LVH

Feel bad for Montana State. They game in with a good game plan - use the size advantage they had over Texas Tech and play pack line to force Texas Tech to take jump shots

Problem is Tech hit those jumpers - 73.9% shooting in the 1st half. And only 10 of their 52 points in the paint. Not much you can really do there.

FrogUltimate

I don't think it's the biggest beating in sports, but it certainly can be. I think the overall officiating is college basketball is horrendous, although not an easy job.

LVH

Delaware player goes up for a fast break dunk and is mauled, Villanova player didn't even touch the ball at all, and the refs said it was a clean block and played on

Wexahu

I don't think it's the biggest beating in sports, but it certainly can be. I think the overall officiating is college basketball is horrendous, although not an easy job.
I agree. I think that it is the worst officiated sport there is. It's not an easy sport to call, but I think college basketball refs are affected by home crowds more than any other. I think in the tournament that mostly goes away though.

LVH

Are you going to do this every game?

Why bother even watching if it's all fixed?
I pay attention to the games

So far, these teams would have lost if not for the refs dragging them across the finish line: Indiana, UCLA, Arkansas

These teams benefitted greatly from the refs, although you can't directly attribute the refs solely to their win: Purdue, Auburn, Gonzaga

Villanova will be added to the list soon.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
I agree. I think that it is the worst officiated sport there is. It's not an easy sport to call, but I think college basketball refs are affected by home crowds more than any other. I think in the tournament that mostly goes away though.
I am wondering if the change from the original "non-contact sport" rules as written by Naismith back in the day has something to do with that? It seems like it would have been a lot easier to call fouls when there was less subjectivity to it. Now, the refs have to decide how much contact they are going to allow in any given game or scenario, which should not be an issue. I think the more objective the rules, the easier and more equitable any "refereeing" would be. I also think women's NCAA basketball is played more in line with the original intent of the founders and is a better "contest" as far as a sport is concerned.

Wexahu

I pay attention to the games

So far, these teams would have lost if not for the refs dragging them across the finish line: Indiana, UCLA, Arkansas

These teams benefitted greatly from the refs, although you can't directly attribute the refs solely to their win: Purdue, Auburn, Gonzaga

Villanova will be added to the list soon.
So no team that "upset" a higher seed got any benefit from the refs? Or is it just a one-way street? Or is it possibly because you just see every call that goes their way a good call. I NEVER hear about how poor the officiating was when the team you want to win, wins. Is that just coincidence?

You'd think about the only way a 13 or 14 seed doesn't win a game is because the refs are out to get them.

Wexahu

I am wondering if the change from the original "non-contact sport" rules as written by Naismith back in the day has something to do with that? It seems like it would have been a lot easier to call fouls when there was less subjectivity to it. Now, the refs have to decide how much contact they are going to allow in any given game or scenario, which should not be an issue. I think the more objective the rules, the easier and more equitable any "refereeing" would be. I also think women's NCAA basketball is played more in line with the original intent of the founders and is a better "contest" as far as a sport is concerned.
That and the 3-point line have totally changed the game. It's all on-the-ball screens and pick and roll now, with the other guys camped out behind the 3-point line waiting for a kick-out off the double team. Very little off the ball screening and movement anymore. I hate it, but I guess others think it's great.

Get rid of the 3-point line (or at least move it a few feet back where it becomes counterproductive to make it an integral part of the offense) and the game starts improving overnight.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but yes, there is too much contact allowed these days IMO.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
So no team that "upset" a higher seed got any benefit from the refs? Or is it just a one-way street? Or is it possibly because you just see every call that goes their way a good call. I NEVER hear about how poor the officiating was when the team you want to win, wins. Is that just coincidence?

You'd think about the only way a 13 or 14 seed doesn't win a game is because the refs are out to get them.
Miss. St. managed to win yesterday in spite of the ghastly officiating, which clearly favored their higher-seeded opponent. The big upset of Kentucky happened because the officials largely got out of the way and let the teams play, and didn't play favorites.