• The KillerFrogs

Fan Nation: Chris Del Conte Reveals Why Longhorns Added Gary Patterson To Staff

Virginia Frog

Unlike some "Country" crooners, he can carry a tune in a front-end loader. Plus, he is possessed of leathery vocal-cords that Merle Haggard would be deeply jealous of...
So Simon Cowell wouldn't take him down for being "pitchy."

He's out of work (real work that is) he ought to get a booth at the CMA Festival Fan Fair in June and pitch himself to the country music fanbase. Then he'd know for certain whether he could be a country singer. Sink or swim.

FrogBall09

Since I am a 3rd generation Frog who grew up in Ft. Worth and have been attending games since 1968. I think I have some idea of who actually built our school. I also know that come November GP will be preparing players and a game plan to defeat TCU.
So I guess you want to rename all of our major facilities, give back most of our endowment, etc since they largely came from Longhorns?

For a 3rd gen Frog you don’t actually seem to know much about who gave TCU money and made it is today

FrogBall09

You either agree or disagree that it was time for Gary to go....no matter. He was offered to stay in a multi million dollar position, he chose to join his old buddy at Texas for 150k. Might have been just to poke us in the eye? If he had stayed he would have been a thorn in the side of the guy that was chosen to take his place. He made the right call for TCU whether he really meant to or not.
In the words of Elsa....Let it go!
What multi million dollar position?

Can you guys at least come up with a believable lie if you are going to push the propaganda machine

Nobody at TCU ever offered GP a multi-million dollar position- because their isn’t one that exists and there was no request for a position made to the committee that would have to first approve it nor would our Trustees ever have agreed to it

All of that is would have been well known in the TCU community if it happened

Geez the story just keeps getting closer to a Sasquatch siting every time a news article is published

FrogBall09

I had something to say on a forum. Not sorry.

FWIW I haven’t been fired from a job for being bad at it either so.

Ever made $500k a month and been named top 5 nationally in your career achievements?

When you are the top of the food chain- you get fired faster than when you are someone that no one gives a [ Finebaum ] about like the other 99% of us

Virginia Frog

So I guess you want to rename all of our major facilities, give back most of our endowment, etc since they largely came from Longhorns?

For a 3rd gen Frog you don’t actually seem to know much about who gave TCU money and made it is today
I'm speaking for everybody here (maybe I shouldn't), when we say negative things abut the University of Texas we're NOT slamming UT as an institution or the many good folks who matriculated there (we all have 'horn friends) but the arrogant "big mouth" "we're BETTER then you" UTers that identify with the UT ATHLETIC DEPT (and their T-shirt following) that trash "little ole" TCU like we're somehow inferior.

So no, the good, kind-hearted UT folks that have contributed over many years to the TCU physical plant (most who have a "local" Fort Worth connection - contributing to their community) are not the target of our distain.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
So Simon Cowell wouldn't take him down for being "pitchy."

He's out of work (real work that is) he ought to get a booth at the CMA Festival Fan Fair in June and pitch himself to the country music fanbase. Then he'd know for certain whether he could be a country singer. Sink or swim.
Simon Cowell? Yeesh...

I had the great misfortune of striding into our local watering hole with Mrs. Brewingfrog recently. We passed a short time with a couple of local fellows, when some 20-ish folk came in and gathered round a TV turned sideways on the wall in the back. Unfortunately, this was an "internet jukebox" and the air was suddenly rent by what I can only charitably describe as country rap. And yes, it was a bad as it sounds.

The kids who put this torture to us all sat down and stared at their phones. We quickly finished our drinks and left. It was horrible.

If that is "Country Music" then Patterson has no future whatsoever, as he shows talent...

Fiscuits

Wrong. He was told he was not going to be the coach next season. That’s fired. You can’t be taken seriously anymore.
And then he quit with 5 games left to play. So yes, he 100% quit.

Coach O at LSU was given exact same scenario and didn’t quit. And that guy actually won a National Title.

FrogBall09

And then he quit with 5 games left to play. So yes, he 100% quit.

Coach O at LSU was given exact same scenario and didn’t quit. And that guy actually won a National Title.
Coach O finished the season because his contract payout required him to or he didn’t get the parachute

TCUdirtbag

Ever made $500k a month and been named top 5 nationally in your career achievements?

When you are the top of the food chain- you get fired faster than when you are someone that no one gives a [ #2020 ] about like the other 99% of us
You’ve started a bizarre self loathing internet fight.

FrogBall09

You’ve started a bizarre self loathing internet fight.
Not really - just point out it is a hilarious that all these people sit and judge the career decisions made by people who obviously have reached the top tier of their profession as if they know better

But hey glad you have never been fired…I am not old enough or high enough in my current career to get fired at this point for anything short of incompetence or being unethical- so I guess I don’t see that as much of accomplishment for the rest of us

Realtorfrog

Every article seems to make this feel a lot stranger. It's becoming very clear that we have an AD problem. I think a lot of the coaches don't feel like they have the support of Donati like they did under CDC. It really felt like Patterson was feeling some pressure from all sides that wasn't solely on him. The football program needed refreshed look. That ultimately rests on one person, but I am also not sure Patterson had the full support he needed at the end. The way CJS left is still beyond strange. TCU's baseball program was struggling compared to recent years, but it was still very good. He left for A&M team that can't get out of its own way. If you think TCU has an issue right now you might want to see look at the Aggie program.

As for this move I really think it is Sark and CDC hitting the panic button. My gut tells me this might the last year for one of them, and I am going to guess it is CDC. If CDC goes I think Sark knows he is next on that list. At $150k a year for Patterson there has to be another reason. There might be a chance he gets the UT HC job, but maybe he is looking for a renewed spirit in coaching. I don't know his endgame, but I will say I don't think this ends well for someone, and maybe all three of them.

The Big 12 took a hit recently. I think a lot of people at TCU hit the panic button when they needed some patience.
What hit did they take?

Pharm Frog

I'm speaking for everybody here (maybe I shouldn't), when we say negative things abut the University of Texas we're NOT slamming UT as an institution or the many good folks who matriculated there (we all have 'horn friends) but the arrogant "big mouth" "we're BETTER then you" UTers that identify with the UT ATHLETIC DEPT (and their T-shirt following) that trash "little ole" TCU like we're somehow inferior.

So no, the good, kind-hearted UT folks that have contributed over many years to the TCU physical plant (most who have a "local" Fort Worth connection - contributing to their community) are not the target of our distain.
I do not have ‘horn friends. Simple contraindication to my friendship.

TCUdirtbag

Not really - just point out it is a hilarious that all these people sit and judge the career decisions made by people who obviously have reached the top tier of their profession as if they know better

But hey glad you have never been fired…I am not old enough or high enough in my current career to get fired at this point for anything short of incompetence or being unethical- so I guess I don’t see that as much of accomplishment for the rest of us
You literally can’t not respond with another ridiculous post.

Criticizing others’ view that being an analyst for Sark is different than being an analyst for Saban while projecting your own dissatisfaction with your personal career progress onto others is a very strange hill to die on.

Last edited:

06DallasFrog

Not going to get particularly involved here, but I can assure you that CDC put plenty of pressure on Gary. Average football seasons did not make his job easier.

ATLFrog97

Chris Del Conte Reveals Why Longhorns Added Gary Patterson To Staff​

Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte considers adding Gary Patterson similar to what Alabama's Nick Saban on his staff
Texas enters a pivotal year under Steve Sarkisian. When hired away from Alabama, the goal was to produce a "Crimson Tide type" culture in Austin before the Longhorns moved to the SEC.

A 5-7 season and six-game midseason losing streak wasn't perfect the answer. Maybe the addition of former TCU coach Gary Patterson will be the missing part of the equation.

Patterson comes to Texas after an illustrious career with the Horned Frogs in Fort Worth. The question is why did athletic director Chris Del Conte agree to bring in Patterson to begin with?

Read more at https://www.si.com/college/texas/ne...22#gid=ci029bbe0ab000272a&pid=usatsi_16874964
What a crap article. Wish there was some depth to this