• The KillerFrogs

OT - Yellowstone/Jackson Hole Vacation Question

Frog45

Ticket Exchange Pass
For the prices we would be paying for the summer months visiting, are we setting ourselves up for failure if we take this trip with two daughters (ages 5 and 9)? We are trying to do a non-beach trip this year. My wife and I know we would love it, but is there enough to not have them mentally wear us down with complaining about another hike?

Endless Purple

I have not been in summer (Did both places for a christmas trip started at Yellowstone and then drove down to Jackson Hole, did the trip twice actually). Amazing in winter, just cold. Talking to people, the crowds in summer can be a lot with long waits at times just sitting in the car trying to move forward. Post-covid, not sure if it changed. I really enjoyed the empty park in winter and got a lot of very nice photos. No long hikes in the winter with several feet of snow.

Yellowstone - we explored the northern area of the Lamar Valley and it was nice. The hot springs were accessible via car and parking lot so no long "boring" hikes. Same with places like Old Faithful. We did a geyser tour since cars were not allowed in that area in winter, but there were roads and parking lots so again, they can see stuff without long hikes. The minerals and things around the geysers were nice to see. So educational. Should be plenty of wildlife.

Jackson Hole - Tourist spot. We did not go skiing when there but visited some parks and spent time in the city with shops and dining. Easy place to spend a lot quickly if shopping is their thing. Winter was a little limiting so can't offer a lot for summer suggestions, but I do remember there being a variety of activities.

Been a few years. If I think of more I can post it.

My sister and husband took their daughters to Colorado Rocky Mountain National Park and really enjoyed it. I think they like to hike though. I think they had less crowds to deal with than you might see at Yellowstone.

tetonfrog

For the prices we would be paying for the summer months visiting, are we setting ourselves up for failure if we take this trip with two daughters (ages 5 and 9)? We are trying to do a non-beach trip this year. My wife and I know we would love it, but is there enough to not have them mentally wear us down with complaining about another hike?
When are you going? If you are thinking about going in July or august, then you might want to skip it. That is peak season & every aspect of life in Jackson hole will be a traffic jam.

Great place & Yellowstone is awesome, but 4-5 million people will hit that area this summer. Best time to go is early or late in the summer.

FrogBall09

I have not been in summer (Did both places for a christmas trip started at Yellowstone and then drove down to Jackson Hole, did the trip twice actually). Amazing in winter, just cold. Talking to people, the crowds in summer can be a lot with long waits at times just sitting in the car trying to move forward. Post-covid, not sure if it changed. I really enjoyed the empty park in winter and got a lot of very nice photos. No long hikes in the winter with several feet of snow.

Yellowstone - we explored the northern area of the Lamar Valley and it was nice. The hot springs were accessible via car and parking lot so no long "boring" hikes. Same with places like Old Faithful. We did a geyser tour since cars were not allowed in that area in winter, but there were roads and parking lots so again, they can see stuff without long hikes. The minerals and things around the geysers were nice to see. So educational. Should be plenty of wildlife.

Jackson Hole - Tourist spot. We did not go skiing when there but visited some parks and spent time in the city with shops and dining. Easy place to spend a lot quickly if shopping is their thing. Winter was a little limiting so can't offer a lot for summer suggestions, but I do remember there being a variety of activities.

Been a few years. If I think of more I can post it.

My sister and husband took their daughters to Colorado Rocky Mountain National Park and really enjoyed it. I think they like to hike though. I think they had less crowds to deal with than you might see at Yellowstone.
Can’t imagine less crowds in RMNP in a year without entry permits and in a year with entry restrictions, you stand a really good chance of planning to be there to several days and only getting to into the park a day or two

Last edited:

HornyWartyToad

Went fly fishing in Jackson about 10 years ago. Was horrified at the prices for accommodations, so broadened out the search. Wound up staying in Driggs, Idaho, on the other side of the Teton Pass. Fantastic decision. Stayed in a cabin that was as nice as most 1st-class hotels, with a nicer kitchen and bathroom than my own house. A hundred bucks a night, compared to $250 for Motel6 quality places in Jackson. A very pleasant hour's drive over the pass from Jackson, with basically zero traffic. Also, Driggs is a really cool little town, lots of family-friendly stuff, with a ski mountain and National Park entry within 10-15 minutes of downtown. Give it a look.

Edit: We went in late September, which turns out to be about the best time to go- Fish are in a feeding frenzy to store fat for winter, school-age kids are back in school, weather is fantastic and the parks were all very lightly-attended. We fished with a guide on the Snake, in a drift boat, and literally saw one pair of kayakers on the river all day, the only other humans we encountered.

FrogBall09

Go - and don’t let people talk you out of it.

Took our daughters about the same age and before that trip - they were pure dolls, ballet, don’t get dirty, play dress up with moms clothes, etc

it changed their lives. They enjoyed it so much we started camping about half our vacations after that. We go to YNP every other year and have been for a decade now - never gets old.

Our oldest is 20 now and she is big into overlanding, hiking and fishing. She is studying to be a biologist so she can work for the Forest Service or a F&G after she gets an advanced degree.

And my youngest daughter spent last summer working the fly shop at an outfitter in Ennis, Mt although she still is pure girl in every other way- but it gave us all a common interest And we have had dozens of dad/daughter trips spent standing in a drift boat

Go into the park early- like at dawn - no traffic and the animals are moving. Go back to your hotel to rest after lunch and the return to the park in late afternoon and stay until dark - you will always be going the opposite of traffic, see the most animals, not be there when the crowds are worst and YNP is amazing at night with all stars. Take a pic of the Milky Way over Grand Prismatic, watch old faithful erupt in the dark, etc

I Ranger told me 98% of visitors in YNP never get more than .5 mile from their car - so it can be done without any hiking but you need to take them at least once to a waterfall that requires an easy hike like Fairy Falls so they can see it’s better away from the road

Plus Grand Teton is only about 90 mins south - if you plan your trip right you can both at GTNP is smaller but not to be missed either

I will DM you a list of things to do in both YNP and GTNP that an old timer on this board sent me about 10 yes ago if I can find it with the best touristy and non-touristy activities - it was great

And get the Gypsy app for YNP - it’s worth it’s weight in gold to give you history and help know where to stop as you drive

Sorry for the long reply

Last edited:

82 Frog Fever

We took that trip a few years ago. It was beautiful, but very pricey.
Our family had more fun renting a housekeeping lake cabin on a secluded 7 mile lake in Chippewa National Forest, Minnesota. For less than $2k we had a lakefront cabin and they provided a small 15 hp fishing boat parked on our own dock. Fishing (Walleye, Pike, Bass, Crappie, Perch), paddle boats & boards, swimming beach, diving board, volleyball, basketball, bikes, bon fires, hiking, & lots of other kids in neighboring cabins that will keep your kids entertained. Great golf at cheap prices in the area too.
Jolly Fisherman Resort - Waubun, Mn.

Last edited:

Paul in uhh

Took our daughters about the same age and before that trip - they were pure dolls, ballet, don’t get dirty, play dress up with moms clothes, etc

it changed their lives. They enjoyed it so much we started camping about half our vacations after that. We go to YNP every other year and have been for a decade now - never gets old.

Our oldest is 20 now and she is big into overlanding, hiking and fishing. She is studying to be a biologist so she can work for the Forest Service or a F&G after she gets an advanced degree.

And my youngest daughter spent last summer working the fly shop at an outfitter in Ennis, Mt although she still is pure girl in every other way- but it gave us all a common interest And we have had dozens of dad/daughter trips spent standing in a drift boat

Go into the park early- like at dawn - no traffic and the animals are moving. Go back to your hotel to rest after lunch and the return to the park in late afternoon and stay until dark - you will always be going the opposite of traffic, see the most animals, not be there when the crowds are worst and YNP is amazing at night with all stars. Take a pic of the Milky Way over Grand Prismatic, watch old faithful erupt in the dark, etc

I Ranger told me 98% of visitors in YNP never get more than .5 mile from their car - so it can be done without any hiking but you need to take them at least once to a waterfall that requires an easy hike like Fairy Falls so they can see it’s better away from the road

Plus Grant Teton is only about 90 mins south - if you plan your trip right you can both at GTNP is mallee but not to be missed either

I will DM you a list of things to do in both YNP and GTNP that an old timer on this board sent me about 10 yes ago if I can find it with the best touristy and non-touristy activities - it was great

And get the Gypsy app for YNP - it’s worth it’s weight in gold to give you history and help know where to stop as you drive

Sorry for the long reply
Don’t apologize, now I actually want to go

I usually avoid NPs because of crowds

fff91

It is expensive but worth every penny if you can swing it. Personally, I prefer the Tetons, Jenny Lake and Teton Village to YNP, but I do agree that if you can manage the pretty stepp hike down to the overlook at the Grand Canyon of Yellostone, it is s sight to see.

AroundWorldFrog

You might consider staying in West Yellowstone, more for kids to do like the Wolf and Grizzly Discovery center. Still pretty easy to Jackson if you just have to go there. If you're going to fly, the Jackson airport is going to be closed for maintenance/renovations from April 11 - June 28th. If you're driving, my condolences and good luck with gas prices. I'm hearing crowds may be thinned out a bit this year if gas gets up over $5 or 6/gal.

hgSNNmx3r6sg55tijj0tLJuRj46AQMUVgYnqIKi4B2Q.jpg

AroundWorldFrog

Plus Grant Teton is only about 90 mins south - if you plan your trip right you can both at GTNP is smaller but not to be missed either

Sorry for the long reply
Do you live near the greater Yellowstone area? Montana/Wyoming/Idaho?

FrogBall09

You might consider staying in West Yellowstone, more for kids to do like the Wolf and Grizzly Discovery center. Still pretty easy to Jackson if you just have to go there. If you're going to fly, the Jackson airport is going to be closed for maintenance/renovations from April 11 - June 28th. If you're driving, my condolences and good luck with gas prices. I'm hearing crowds may be thinned out a bit this year if gas gets up over $5 or 6/gal.

hgSNNmx3r6sg55tijj0tLJuRj46AQMUVgYnqIKi4B2Q.jpg
Good point at JAC closing for runway replacement.

American now flies non-stop into Idaho Falls also - which is a super easy drive up to West Yellowstone through Island Park - which is pretty cool also and you can use the chance to stop at the caldera marker on the left side of the highway as a starting point in showing kids how the volcano has moved over time (good time to tell them YNP is an living volcano even if it has been quiet for more than half of a million years) so when you get to YNP you can show them the current Caldera from the overlook

And they also fly non-stop in Bozeman, MT which is about the same distance to West down through Big Sky and Gallatin river canyon - beautiful drive.

Last edited:

FrogBall09

Do you live near the greater Yellowstone area? Montana/Wyoming/Idaho?
no - I live in Ft Worth -just go up there a lot. We have several friends that own vacation homes around YNP/GTNP and few that have them in Whitefish - but my wife and daughters always want to go to new places too much to have a single place plus I subscribe to the theory that the best boats, planes and vacation houses are the ones your friends own....

AroundWorldFrog

Good point at JAC closing for runway replacement.

American now flies non-stop into Idaho Falls also - which is a super easy drive up to West Yellowstone through Island Park - which is pretty cool also and you can use the chance to stop at the caldera marker on the left side of the highway as a starting point in showing kids how the volcano (good time to tell them YNP is an living volcano even if it has been quiet for more than half of a million years) so when you get to YNP you can show them the current Caldera from the overlook

And they also fly non-stop in Bozeman, MT which is about the same distance to West down through Big Sky and Gallatin river canyon - beautiful drive.
I would venture Idaho Falls may be the better place to fly into re: rental cars, cost, etc. Obviously the drive down is beautiful from Bozeman and the Gallatin River drive is still a favorite of mine.