• The KillerFrogs

Shifting NIL Work?

McFroggin

We obviously aren’t winning the big NIL football free agents. Football is going to have to fend for itself to some degree.

Why not focus our NIL $ on baseball and basketball? Big money on only 4-6 people in basketball and we have a national contender. Baseball may need closer to 12 or so big money players. However football is trying to keep 85 scholarship players happy and likely a good 25+ need good money.

Are we fighting a losing battle with football or should we adapt and create elite other sports when others are more focused on football?

Pharm Frog

Alternative suggestion: kick their asses with players who fit our system, are motivated week-in and week-out to do so, and are producing and enhancing a culture in which they want to thrive. Personally don’t like the early abandonment of a battlefield in its infancy. Could we turn others’ perceived advantages into their weaknesses? I don’t think we quite understand the weaknesses of NIL yet.

Moose Stuff

We obviously aren’t winning the big NIL football free agents. Football is going to have to fend for itself to some degree.

Why not focus our NIL $ on baseball and basketball? Big money on only 4-6 people in basketball and we have a national contender. Baseball may need closer to 12 or so big money players. However football is trying to keep 85 scholarship players happy and likely a good 25+ need good money.

Are we fighting a losing battle with football or should we adapt and create elite other sports when others are more focused on football?
We have NIL people with large amounts of money that are basically doing that already.

froginaustin

TCU has never chased one-and-done men's basketball players, as far as I know. Never successfully, anyway, if at all. Maybe the impact of 1-year-wonders on college basketball gives us a hint of what big-$ NIL football players will do to college squads.

Rick Barnes and Shaka Smart both lost jobs at UTx trying to find and recruit the unicorn every year. Now and then they hit. Mostly they missed. They always started over every year. Barnes landed on his feet, for now, at UTn. Jury still on Shaka, post-UTx. Point being, the competition for difference-making basketball recruits has been unbelievable for quite a few years now. I'd just as soon leave chasing one-and-done basketball recruits to SMU, and to the programs that have done it for real for years like Kentucky.

Baseball? How will NIL money ever compete with pro baseball? I have no idea.

Toad Jones

One thing for sure, that semi-white basketball court of TCU sure does show up well on television if nothing else does.

Last edited:

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Alternative suggestion: kick their asses with players who fit our system, are motivated week-in and week-out to do so, and are producing and enhancing a culture in which they want to thrive. Personally don’t like the early abandonment of a battlefield in its infancy. Could we turn others’ perceived advantages into their weaknesses? I don’t think we quite understand the weaknesses of NIL yet.
Where is Sun Tsu when you need him!?

SuperTFrog

So where does NIL fit in to this? If you are saying it doesn’t, I don’t think you understand the importance of $5k to an 18 year old.

Froggish

TCU and NIL is doing just fine relative to most of FBS P5 football programs. To many fans pull up UT and Bama recruiting rankings and run around pretending TCU sucks and is poor. BlueBloods are not the measuring stick for 95% of FBS football and people would do well to stop trying to draw those parallels.

Remove OU and UT from the B12 and tell me who’s is out spending us..I’ll hang up and listen

McFroggin

TCU and NIL is doing just fine relative to most of FBS P5 football programs. To many fans pull up UT and Bama recruiting rankings and run around pretending TCU sucks and is poor. BlueBloods are not the measuring stick for 95% of FBS football and people would do well to stop trying to draw those parallels.

Remove OU and UT from the B12 and tell me who’s is out spending us..I’ll hang up and listen

3rd in conference and near the bottom of the SEC isn’t ever going to get us where we want to be.

froginaustin

3rd in conference and near the bottom of the SEC isn’t ever going to get us where we want to be.

Two line of comment:

1. If TCU is 3rd in the B12, particularly the B12 v.3.0 without OU, we can all be disappointed. Unless Dykes is a bust, I don't see that happening regularly, although I'd be delighted with 3rd in Dykes' first season.

2. 3rd in the B12 3.0 is not likely to be a team that would be "near the bottom of the SEC". Bowl games and OOC play-- assuming anyone but the heavies from the SEC will play B12 teams OOC (and I wouldn't bet the ranch that even 'Bama and LSU will play anyone not at the very bottom of the B12 with any regularity)-- will test this supposition.

Just because Ole Miss and Kiffin think Evans (and some transfer-portal QB that TCU likely doesn't need at the market price) is worth more than TCU and Dykes do, doesn't mean TCU won't be able to pay for and otherwise recruit teams that are regularly and significantly better than all but a few SEC teams. For what my opinion is worth.

asleep003

Two line of comment:

1. If TCU is 3rd in the B12, particularly the B12 v.3.0 without OU, we can all be disappointed. Unless Dykes is a bust, I don't see that happening regularly, although I'd be delighted with 3rd in Dykes' first season.

2. 3rd in the B12 3.0 is not likely to be a team that would be "near the bottom of the SEC". Bowl games and OOC play-- assuming anyone but the heavies from the SEC will play B12 teams OOC (and I wouldn't bet the ranch that even 'Bama and LSU will play anyone not at the very bottom of the B12 with any regularity)-- will test this supposition.

Just because Ole Miss and Kiffin think Evans (and some transfer-portal QB that TCU likely doesn't need at the market price) is worth more than TCU and Dykes do, doesn't mean TCU won't be able to pay for and otherwise recruit teams that are regularly and significantly better than all but a few SEC teams. For what my opinion is worth.
Obviously the staff were very comfortable(if not more) with Miller and the RB depth that they were not going to dump a large amount on Even$... especially with some odd sort/lack of team dedication/interest. Think most of us were guessing what he was up to... and appears that he was.?.

Eight

Obviously the staff were very comfortable(if not more) with Miller and the RB depth that they were not going to dump a large amount on Even$... especially with some odd sort/lack of team dedication/interest. Think most of us were guessing what he was up to... and appears that he was.?.

evans decision wasn't merely a money decision

Eight

then would you have the other part of that decision ... since you brought it up.

from what i was told he was looking for the best situation he would find to showcase his talent to get him up the draft board in the nfl

scheme and how they use the backs along with some money as well

asleep003

hmmm ... would have thought averaging 7 ypc or more, for the last 2 seasons, would have been a pretty good showcase. But the money, yes. Don't think he realized that his chances of getting broken up, prior to getting to the NFL, are much greater now.