• The KillerFrogs

TCU vs Texas MBB

Nick Danger

In a valiant attempt to hijack this thread, I'm going to temporarily bring up a tangential subject! The crowd at last night's game brings up a peripheral issue, and that is "Who are TCU's rivals"? People keep bringing up SMU and Baylor, but neither of those schools generate the sort of crowd size and intensity you saw last night from the TCU students/crowd in playing the Horns! TCU fans on here have discussed dropping playing SMU in football for years now, and there was even a concerted effort, several years back, to derail Baylor's efforts to promote a TCU/Baylor rivalry and their whole "Revivalry" thing! Nobody missed playing Baylor when we were in the Mountain West!

But I'm bringing this up in the context of the new Big-12 conference Divisions being discussed, and the very real possibility that the four Texas schools (TCU, Baylor, Tech, and Houston) could be split up into different Divisions, if they go with East/West Divisions. There's likely to be some blow back against that idea because it would destroy some "long standing rivalries". I'm assuming those people (Baylor people mostly) are talking about a faux TCU/Baylor rivalry that exists in their minds! If playing TCU every year in football is such a cherished tradition to Baylor, why did they make ZERO effort to schedule the Frogs, out of conference, when they kicked us out of the old SWC way back when? Now, they'll be whining again if they get placed in a different Division than TCU and only get to play us every two out of three years. Maybe they can form a new rivalry by playing Houston every year!

Now! Back to basketball!

Last edited:

Prime BEEF

In a valiant attempt to hijack this thread, I'm going to temporarily bring up a tangential subject! The crowd at last night's game brings up a peripheral issue, and that is "Who are TCU's rivals"? People keep bringing up SMU and Baylor, but neither of those schools generate the sort of crowd size and intensity you saw last night from the TCU students/crowd in playing the Horns! TCU fans on here have discussed dropping playing SMU in football for years now, and there was even a concerted effort, several years back, to derail Baylor's efforts to promote a TCU/Baylor rivalry and their whole "Revivalry" thing! Nobody missed playing Baylor when we were in the Mountain West!

But I'm bringing this up in the context of the new Big-12 conference Divisions being discussed, and the very real possibility that the four Texas schools (TCU, Baylor, Tech, and Houston) could be split up into different Divisions, if they go with East/West Divisions. There's likely to be some blow back against that idea because it would destroy some "long standing rivalries". I'm assuming those people (Baylor people mostly) are talking about a faux TCU/Baylor rivalry that exists in their minds! If playing TCU every year in football is such a cherished tradition to Baylor, why did they make ZERO effort to schedule the Frogs, out of conference, when they kicked us out of the old SWC way back when? Now, they'll be whining again if they get placed in a different Division than TCU and only get to play us every two out of three years. Maybe they can form a new rivalry by playing Houston every year!

Now! Back to basketball!
To help you derail the thread…maybe

I graduated TCU in 2005 and grew up just west of Fort Worth (not west Texas). Didn’t know hardly any smu grads prior to going to TCU and hardly ever see any smu grads now or after graduation. Never considered SMU our rival. Mainly because SMU isn’t ever a part of my life. There are no smu fans to banter with. The same thing applies to Baylor. I did know some Baylor grads but not many at all….but still more than zero for smu.

However, tech alumni were everywhere and they were/are always childish and would banter a lot about sports. To me, tech was our rival. I also hated (sports hate…A&M And UT)…but didn’t consider them a true rival.

To address the attendance point, obviously more people want to watch a game against UT. If Kentucky played at TCU I would expect the arena to be packed as well. If tOSU played us in football at Amon Carter I would also expect that to be more packed than a game vs Baylor.

I think to be rivals you need to be on the same footings. Though I enjoy beating Texas most, maybe, they do not get excited about beating TCU, but rather relieved because they are a “blue blood“ of higher status with highest expectations. I do appreciate the @Prime BEEF thought regarding the number of foes to banter with as I had not considered that measure, but...

@Nick Danger Like we think of SMU today as lower status because they are not in a P5 conference, that is how Baylor thought of TCU before TCU re-emerging in the Big 12. The status changed and thus the Revivalry was an appropriate name. TCU is now on the same P5 non-blue blood footings as Baylor and Texas Tech so they are #1 and #2 rivals. I make Baylor #1 because they are most similar as a private school and also the school we will be most compared with if any conference realignment.

Down the road, if SMU finds a Power conference home, they will be the #1 rival again because they are similarly sized and private and will be the crosstown DFW rival for recruits, fans and any further realignment. SMU was TCU’s #1 rival when on the same SWC foundation.

Again, I most enjoy beating Texas, but Baylor is right there with them, and I strongly dislike that Baylor won another football conference championship and are basketball national champs, especially when that may be used for them and against TCU in realignment.

Lastly, long term, TCU can’t beat the Longhorns and Aggies in the state’s national athletic recognition, but TCU can battle to fall in third, ahead of Baylor, Texas Tech, Houston and SMU.

Last edited:

Chongo94

Tech fans today, while still hating UT and the Aggies, really hate TCU. They love to beat TCU. I’m not totally sure why although I’m guessing the cultural differences play a part.

Having the most overrated bar of all time in town now (Chimy’s) hasn’t seemed to help either fan base like each other either.

Per the thread, last night sure was a bad time to lay an egg…huge crowd, TV game, actual fan/attendance momentum….and then we put that product on the court, yuck.

Rose Bowl

That was a stinker last night. The team had no energy which was bad because the arena was rocking. Put it behind them and prepare for a really good LSU team. Would be a very big win.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Gary Patterson is no Robert E. Lee.
Benedict Arnold, maybe?

just kidding GIF