• The KillerFrogs

TCU Golf 2021-2022

JogginFrog

JogginFrog

Maybe first time in history that 2 Frogs play in the final group. Maybe Coody and Massengale?
LOL. Was actually trying to investigate last night if there'd been a Coody-Massengale final pairing. Thought it might be reconstructable from round scores, but scant info from that era beyond winners and runners up. Massengale won twice in '66 but didn't crack the top 10 on the money list.

Dropping both names into a newspaper archive search produces a link to story about the 1965 Greater Seattle Open Invitational. It mentions Coody a shot back back of the leaders going into the third round with Massengale 3 back (likely T7). So, Frogs in the final two or three groups on a Saturday may be as close as we get.

JogginFrog

A certain former Frog missed an 18-footer on the last hole to make a playoff for berths in the Masters and British Opens. Winner was a UNLV freshman from the Caymans.

Horned Toad

For those who haven't seen his swing...

Brentley Romine's piece for Golf Channel mentioned that he battles chronic pain/arthritis.

I played golf with James two or three times this past summer at Mira Vista. He is a giant of a man. I’m 6’2 and literally had to look up at him. Hands the size of a catcher’s mitt it seemed. He could hit it a mile. He is such a great guy too. Took the time to work on a couple of things with my golf shot. ”Hey mate, lower your right shoulder a bit, left hip out, now let ‘er rip. Such a positive guy.

JogginFrog

Nothing like a cold, rainy day at Colonial to decide who gets to go to Hawaii. Yesterday, with 6 holes left in a 90-hole qualifier, three guys were battling for the 5th spot (Hamm at +7, Gums +8, Celli +9). Gums played those holes in +3...and won by 3 shots.

If coach plays the top 5 from the qualifier, it'll be Olesen, Berzina, Frimodt, Allkins and Gums. Tournament kicks off a week from today.

Last edited:

JogginFrog

I doubt Celli gets left home. I’m sure there will be an 6th individual spot for Berzina or Allkins.
Celli has been very good in competition, and coach usually leaves a couple (or 4) spots open for his own picks, so I agree that he's likely to play. He's the top-ranked Frog in WAGR (124th to Olesen's 131st). But Berzina qualified second (6 shots clear of 3rd), so I think he'll play, and since there's no 36-hole day, I suspect Allkins (T3) will play as well.

I could see Gums playing as an individual (or sitting out) next week. He was 5th in qualifying, and his length isn't a big advantage at Waikaloa, which tops out at just over 6,800 yards. Just guessing.

JogginFrog

Earning your card doesn't guarantee the opportunity to tee it up every week, even in full-field events. Julien Brun got to play in Abu Dhabi last week but just missed getting into the field in Dubai (2nd alternate). Sanna Nuutinen didn't get in at Boca Raton (7th alternate), so it'll be a little longer before she makes her debut as an LPGA Tour member.

Meanwhile, after two Frogs made the final group last weekend, Hoge and Barjon both MC'd in La Jolla.

And, with no events this week on the PGA Tour Latinoamerica or the Euro Challenge Tour, it may be down to Angela Stanford as the only pro Frog who may play the weekend--and she's a shot off the cut line with 4 holes to play.

First Tee Frog

Was looking at the Frogs' Winter Cup leaderboard (won by Jacob Skov Oleson in a playoff over Filippo Celli) and noticed that Jan Scheider did not participate. While he's still listed on the Frogs' roster, he's gone through the portal and is back at Washington.

Not sure his game translated well to Texas. His play got worse throughout the fall (T38, T48, T66, DNP), and his best score in six competitive rounds in state was 74.

With Celli back for the spring, competition for playing time is stiff, but Washington has a stout lineup too, (Huskies are ranked 21st), so I suspect the move related more to fit.

Not sure what the deal is here but he was in town today with a frog bag.

JogginFrog

Not sure what the deal is here but he was in town today with a frog bag.
Maybe I misinterpreted the tweet. Looks now like Jan was just paying his old buddies a visit before heading back to school and UW Twitter was just being friendly. But I can't believe there wasn't knowledge that it could be taken that way. Maybe he was exploring options? Or maybe a jab to make people wonder? School was in session on 1/12 at both universities, but it was just the first week back for TCU.

Edit: He is not on the UW roster, and the Huskies have already played in a tournament this month.

Last edited:

First Tee Frog

Maybe I misinterpreted the tweet. Looks now like Jan was just paying his old buddies a visit before heading back to school and UW Twitter was just being friendly. But I can't believe there wasn't knowledge that it could be taken that way. Maybe he was exploring options? Or maybe a jab to make people wonder? School was in session on 1/12 at both universities, but it was just the first week back for TCU.

Edit: He is not on the UW roster, and the Huskies have already played in a tournament this month.
I said to him “guess you aren’t back at Washington” and he laughed. He Didn’t know what that was about.

AllFrog

It looks like that Twitter post is from January 2021…