• The KillerFrogs

OT: VPN info and suggestions

Chongo94

I’m wanting to get a VON and I’m leaning towards ExpressVPN but there is just so much info and reviews out there I wanted y’all’s thoughts before I purchase.

I’m just wanting it for a little bit more added security and privacy. I’m not running any type of fancy home network or business.

A buddy suggested BitDefender but it seems rather average and not the best compared to others.

Leaning towards Express over Nord but any thoughts would be appreciated. Also, are these things easy to get going?…basically just download and click to start or what? Thanks!!

Chongo94

I use Express VPN. Works great! I use bitdefender for anti virus and malware. I do not use Bitdefender VPN.

Very easy to install and configure.

If you're not using a VPN on your phone and/or PC, your fooling yourself. A must in today's digital world.
Thanks @Double D

I guess I missed the BitDefender virus stuff. So would suggest doing both then?

Double D

Tier 1
Ya. I use a MacBook Pro. I always thought Macs did not get viruses due to their architecture. Wrong. I installed Bitdefender and it identified and removed a virus on my Mac. So yes I use bitdefender for anti virus and malware.

Get 30 days FREE when you sign up for ExpressVPN. The #1 trusted VPN: Fast, secure, and easy to use. https://www.expressrefer.com/en/refer-a-friend/30-days-free/?referrer_id=25923491

Thanks @Double D

I guess I missed the BitDefender virus stuff. So would suggest doing both then?

Chongo94

Ya. I use a MacBook Pro. I always thought Macs did not get viruses due to their architecture. Wrong. I installed Bitdefender and it identified and removed a virus on my Mac. So yes I use bitdefender for anti virus and malware.

Get 30 days FREE when you sign up for ExpressVPN. The #1 trusted VPN: Fast, secure, and easy to use. https://www.expressrefer.com/en/refer-a-friend/30-days-free/?referrer_id=25923491
Yikes! I use Macs as well and that was definitely my thinking too. Ok, decision made then, gracias!

May PM you later if I run into any issues trying to do all this but sounds fairly straightforward.

I’m wanting to get a VON and I’m leaning towards ExpressVPN but there is just so much info and reviews out there I wanted y’all’s thoughts before I purchase.

I’m just wanting it for a little bit more added security and privacy. I’m not running any type of fancy home network or business.

A buddy suggested BitDefender but it seems rather average and not the best compared to others.

Leaning towards Express over Nord but any thoughts would be appreciated. Also, are these things easy to get going?…basically just download and click to start or what? Thanks!!
Have used Express for years now. Have it on all our Android phones, Chromebooks, and my gaming PC. It's fantastic, non-invasive, easy to set up and fast. When traveling, it is awesome to be in the Admirals Lounge or be in flight or in the hotel on public WiFi and know that I can log into my bank or check email if I want to.

I have not set up home router level VPN (which would then cover EVERYTHING in your house) but Express does offer that option as well. I just don't find it necessary for my TV, Alexa devices, etc....but if I change my mind, the option is there.

Double D

Tier 1
I haven't either but have researched. If I went that route, port forwarding for all my security cameras would be tricky.

I have not set up home router level VPN (which would then cover EVERYTHING in your house) but Express does offer that option as well. I just don't find it necessary for my TV, Alexa devices, etc....but if I change my mind, the option is there.

Chongo94

Have preferred Private Internet Access for years, slightly better track record on privacy, logs, and methods/open source basis. Also, the price is pretty good.

Thanks, haven’t come across this one before! Will look into it. Gracias.

geefrogs

Im not sure what you were asking for but ill share my experience. I've had ExpressVPN since 2018 living and working in Asia. Im able to access routers in USA quite easily.

I have it on Windows, I had it on my iPhone, now Samsung phone, and my Amazon Firestick. (Im watching ESPN now through the ExpressVPN App on Amazon FireTV)

Easy to use for dummies like me. Customer service chat feature is on point, they sent me the transcript of our chat and an instruction manual for my problem.

Its worth the price IMO.

I tried NordVPN but it didnt do it for me.

ExpressVPN much more intuitive and like I said, user-friendly.

Double D

Tier 1
Idiot reply here - why do you need a VPN in the first place?
People don’t like to be tracked and watched — that’s the main reason why they use a virtual private network.

When you’re browsing through a VPN, your traffic is encrypted. No one can see what you do online, nor interfere in any way.

What Up Toad

People don’t like to be tracked and watched — that’s the main reason why they use a virtual private network.

When you’re browsing through a VPN, your traffic is encrypted. No one can see what you do online, nor interfere in any way.

Except for the VPN provider. You're just swapping your internet provider for the VPN, and it's not like the internet provider can see anything other than which websites you're going to.

geefrogs

Idiot reply here - why do you need a VPN in the first place?

It's useful for me when I want to access my North American TV channels (which I do subscribe to with my US accounts) while living abroad. Plug in a FireStick, open the VPN and sign into (you name it).

It also helps with any confusion about login security. I don't want to be bothered with login alert emails and the then sometimes tedious process of verifying my account.

And also the security and privacy as well. Express hasn't sold my identity to the highest bidder that I know of....yet :)