• The KillerFrogs

TCU Football: The best of the best -- Safety

Double D

Tier 1
Geoff Stephens??? I think he came in around '92.

First off....Tony Rand should be on this list. Not the CB list. And Greg Evans is a Top 8 at worst. Also Curtis Fuller is a Top 8 at worst also. Falanda Newton is Top 5 also.

Maybe the weakest effort I've seen yet. Marvin White at 2 is just nuts.

And he left off perhaps the hardest hitting player in TCU history...played from 94-97. A safety from Louisiana. Kudos to first person that gets it. He should be HM at worst.

Dr. Coach Haus

That's a joke right?? My last memory of him is watching him make the Tulane Qb look like peyton manning in the season finale of 2005. The only year we didn't go to a bowl game of the LHCGP era.

Do you remember that he blew his knee apart in the Arizona game in 03? Probably not since it was not on TV but I was there.
Godbolt was a beast and blew people up before that injury. After, he was not the same, thus the 04 season. Like Jug I was a huge fan and followed his closely.

ftwfrog

Do you remember that he blew his knee apart in the Arizona game in 03? Probably not since it was not on TV but I was there.
Godbolt was a beast and blew people up before that injury. After, he was not the same, thus the 04 season. Like Jug I was a huge fan and followed his closely.
Not trampling on the guys grave, but injuries happen, and after the injury he was quite noticeably worse so I don't put him on a top 10 safeties list.

Leap Frog

Good job, ED, but I think Jim Shofner should be on the list. Great at TCU and all-pro with Cleveland.

On Jimmy Lawrence, his injury making the tying td against SMU in the 1935 game probably cost the loss. Winning td was thrown over his sub, and Sam Baugh took the heat by saying he should have gotten over and helped out.

EdKamen

Good job, ED, but I think Jim Shofner should be on the list. Great at TCU and all-pro with Cleveland.

On Jimmy Lawrence, his injury making the tying td against SMU in the 1935 game probably cost the loss. Winning td was thrown over his sub, and Sam Baugh took the heat by saying he should have gotten over and helped out.

Great info on Lawrence!

Yeah, not much info on Shofner as a safety. Heck of a halfback, though. As I said in another comment somewhere, I tried to limit it just to TCU careers. I added some pro stuff on some of the bios just for background.

East Coast

Tier 1
We've had quite a few solid safeties over the years. Jones, Roach, and Bonner while solid, don't belong in the top 10. Fuller was the glue of the 99 and 2000 secondaries, and we had like 6 solid safeties on the 2000 team that were better then all the starters on this year's team. Also agree with Punter about Tony Rand and Greg Evans.

Hilliard was solid too, even playing corner in 2000 after Goss went down. Godbolt had one great year before injury, Modkins wasn't very good until he woke up his senior year. Does anyone else remember Tim Pulliam? I remember him as a pretty solid player on some of Shofner's train wreck defenses....but the alcohol needed to make those games palatable may be confusing me....

Frog4Real

First off....Tony Rand should be on this list. Not the CB list. And Greg Evans is a Top 8 at worst. Also Curtis Fuller is a Top 8 at worst also. Falanda Newton is Top 5 also.

And he left off perhaps the hardest hitting player in TCU history...played from 94-97. A safety from Louisiana. Kudos to first person that gets it. He should be HM at worst.

You are so correct.....Chris Staton (spelling) was the hardest hitting player I've seen at TCU since I have been a fan (96).

Black Jew

Chris Staten aka The Stinger was pound for pound the hittest hitter I have seen at the safety position.

Punter1

Chris Staten aka The Stinger was pound for pound the hittest hitter I have seen at the safety position.

He had his coming out party against UH in '94 as a true freshman on the kickoff team and he blindsided 2 dudes and knocked one of them out cold.

Then in '95 he had about 5 KILL shots on Rice RBs and QBs...one on a Rice TD. It was easily the hardest hitting game Ive ever seen from one player on any team.

As hard a hitter he was...he was as quiet off the field. Great guy.

NewFrogFan

I was there.

tetonfrog

No Trevon Moehring?

How quick we forget. He was just as good as Teejay…….better tackler IMO, too. No disrespect to Teejay, who was a great player.