• The KillerFrogs

Longhorns Wire: Gary Patterson expected to meet with Pete Kwiatkowski on Thursday

Froggy Style

Analyst or recruiting scout is the only thing Gary has left in his quiver. Going to the place that will pay him the most makes the most sense.

Question is simply, does he continue to stick with the same philosophies. If so, we all have his playbook and signs.

I expect more songs.

corpuschristifrog

Love GP forever. Thank you sir. He used to say he wouldn’t coach too long. I realize there was some waffling in recent years. He has plenty of $. if he wants to stay involved God bless him and go for it. Kinda wish he would go on safaris, write/sing marginally and hang around Frog land.

Wexahu

Love GP forever. Thank you sir. He used to say he wouldn’t coach too long. I realize there was some waffling in recent years. He has plenty of $. if he wants to stay involved God bless him and go for it. Kinda wish he would go on safaris, write/sing marginally and hang around Frog land.
Given the way he went out I think it'd be best for him to explore the world for a few years rather than hang around Frog land.

westoverhillbilly

There's no telling where GP will end up, if anywhere.. A large donor told me recently that VBo and others in admin had counseled him to keep the discipline down with the players over the last couple of years due to many things including the recent discrimination suit against TCU (totally unrelated to athletics), the N word incident (where Gary was not found to be at fault really) and the Listenbee lawsuit.. This counseling was just preventative and overly cautious posturing on behalf of TCU Admin and not a slant on Gary's behavior in any way.. It did, however, make it difficult for Gary and staff to run the program the very effective way they always had. I'm not certifying this as gospel- just passing on what was told to me- it makes about as much sense as anything else I've read or heard..

Paint It Purple

All I can say is CDC has made recent statements to the contrary. I’m not saying GP won’t end up there as an analyst. I am saying that Chris isn’t crazy about the idea…at least when speaking to certain audiences

And by the way, there’s more than an even chance CDC is telling different people different things
I can see Gary P being a bit of a celebrity in Austin if he's wearing burnt orange at the cocktail circuit. CDC just might feel a bit concerned or even personally threatened by that possibility.

ECoastFrog

Given the way he went out I think it'd be best for him to explore the world for a few years rather than hang around Frog land.
We, the fans, have such strong and positive feelings about Gary. His feelings may be hurt for awhile, but he is forever welcome back. This is one case where a recently-exited coach is beloved by the university.

Mean Purple

That is not true. CDC has been vocal in support of GP. I see Gary at UT more clearly than any other college position. Kelsey likes Austin a lot and if you knew Kelsey, well.... Gary listen's to her intently. Do not see GP ever as HC at UT, ever!! Once told me it was a zoo a really big zoo down there. It's better now with Chris as AD. The problem with GP at lead coaching position is communication, ESP at Texas. Those high brows would make GP cringe.
Could see GP down there in some position, then take and HC job the next year. CDC would live to have him there.

Pharm Frog

What ever Gary wants to do I wish him well.
If he does anything at all with an opponent I wish him complete and total embarrassing failure as I do for anyone who plays for or assists an opponent. If he wants to coach in the Canadian Football League I might wish him somewhat well. If he starts a relationship with an NFL team I hope for failure there because I generally prefer all manners of failure for NFL teams.

Palliative Care

I used to feel that strongly but after two years of deaths of family and friends whom I shared a great love for TCU football, I find myself less concerned with other teams and other leagues. Gary gave me many wonderful years of TCU football. For which I can only wish him personal happiness and even success.
Others have personal reason for not joining me and I fully understand your statements.

As a physician who managed dying patients I have learned just how quickly life seems to turn. I now find myself less concerned with will or could be and more about what is.

Sangria Wine

It’s a perfect situation in my mind. The minute the news broke I assumed this would be the location. If you take for the gospel the new normal in college football being younger, more hip coaches that better connect with the players then it sure seems obvious there’s going to be a new layer of coach added around the country…that of a staff of specialized coaches to the coaches. Essentially like when a young executive has high powered, well connected consultants (or BOD) advising him.

A guy like Gary being able to give blunt assessments, study film, provide blunt feedback to the coaches about player performance, assist with game plan and recruit evaluation, etc seems obvious. No princesses to manage or feelings to hurt. No trendy recruiting trends or social media or NIL or other associated [ Finebaum ]e that drives the old school coaches crazy.

I’ll be a little surprised if this doesn’t work out. And the wildcard would obviously be if Sark gets fired mid-season and a guy with 20+ year career coaching at a very high level happens to be on staff you’d expect he gets the interim tag and then it’s all bets are off. If the team suddenly started kicking tail he maybe gets the job. If not he goes on his way in some form or fashion no worse for the wear.

4th. down

Analyst or recruiting scout is the only thing Gary has left in his quiver. Going to the place that will pay him the most makes the most sense.

Question is simply, does he continue to stick with the same philosophies. If so, we all have his playbook and signs.

I expect more songs.
He likes the game, the Xs and Os part but that's it. If he wants to stay in it, probably as a Defensive Analyst which he would be great at. His communication skills will not work with a HC position.

Froggy Style

It’s a perfect situation in my mind. The minute the news broke I assumed this would be the location. If you take for the gospel the new normal in college football being younger, more hip coaches that better connect with the players then it sure seems obvious there’s going to be a new layer of coach added around the country…that of a staff of specialized coaches to the coaches. Essentially like when a young executive has high powered, well connected consultants (or BOD) advising him.

A guy like Gary being able to give blunt assessments, study film, provide blunt feedback to the coaches about player performance, assist with game plan and recruit evaluation, etc seems obvious. No princesses to manage or feelings to hurt. No trendy recruiting trends or social media or NIL or other associated [ #2020 ]e that drives the old school coaches crazy.

I’ll be a little surprised if this doesn’t work out. And the wildcard would obviously be if Sark gets fired mid-season and a guy with 20+ year career coaching at a very high level happens to be on staff you’d expect he gets the interim tag and then it’s all bets are off. If the team suddenly started kicking tail he maybe gets the job. If not he goes on his way in some form or fashion no worse for the wear.
Agree with all. I suspect Sark does as well...and knows this is what CDC has in mind too. I'm thinking Sark doesn't want to make it so easy to fire him midseason.

Eight

A guy like Gary being able to give blunt assessments, study film, provide blunt feedback to the coaches about player performance, assist with game plan and recruit evaluation, etc seems obvious. No princesses to manage or feelings to hurt. No trendy recruiting trends or social media or NIL or other associated [ #2020 ]e that drives the old school coaches crazy.

why do people keep seeing gary as the mid-season replacement in option as anything other than a bad opium pipe dream