• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Wexahu

I believe staff were free to go find jobs elsewhere if they felt they were being mistreated by GP.
Of course they were. What would the pay and job security had been like?

I wouldn't call it "mistreated". These are all grown men. It's just a coaching style that I'm not sure many assistants with a bunch of good options would deal with for long.

CountryFrog

I’m really not sure he hated losing all that much to be honest.
I think his mindset was very much like Jerry Jones. They both hate losing and very much want to win. But they only want to win THEIR WAY and have no interest in seeking alternate methods when their way doesn't work. I think that in their own minds they absolutely hate losing but have such a massive blind spot to their own role in losing that they don't even consider that they are their own biggest deterrent in many ways.

They also both surround themselves with family and friends who provide an insulated environment of yes men who aren't likely to force them to think through alternative options.

And I don't want this to come across as me being critical of Gary. He was obviously a great coach. But he was also a human being. There's not a single coach who ever lived that didn't have some kind of weakness which sooner or later caught up to them. Gary went longer than most before the down trend started.

Last edited:

LisaLT

I think his mindset was very much like Jerry Jones. They both hate losing and very much want to win. But they only want to win THEIR WAY and have no interest in seeking alternate methods when their way doesn't work. I think that in their own minds they absolutely hate losing but have such a massive blind spot to their own role in losing that they don't even consider that they are their own biggest deterrent in many ways.

They also both surround themselves with family and friends who provide an insulated environment of yes men who aren't likely to force them to think through alternative options.

And I don't want this to come across as me being critical of Gary. He was obviously a great coach. But he was also a human being. There's not a single coach who ever lived that didn't have some kind of weakness which sooner or later caught up to them. Gary went longer than most before the down trend started.
That is a very true observation and comparison. Live by the sword, die by the sword, or so they say.

In your opinion, was Patterson not trying to transition overlooked offensive athletes like he had in the past? Or was he still trying to recruit those types of athletes and they wanted to stick with playing offense even if it meant going to a G5 school?
Fewer guys wanted to play defense, those that did were increasingly turned off by the 4-2-5, and those that weren't were tough to recruit for all the other reasons TCU struggled to recruit in general.

You can't put sub-par athletes in the Big 12 and win consistently, that [ Finebaum ] just doesn't work.

Not to beat a dead horse, but what do you think are the similarities between Dykes and Patterson that we will appreciate, and what are some of the other differences that we will find exciting? Anything that we may find challenging?
I don't know Sonny that well so hard to say. Based on appearances and his presented "strategy," I think there are parts of the program, especially around recruiting, the portal, S&C, and the media that will be night/day different.

To use Gary's words... I expect a lot more "Gary" and a lot less "GP" from this new staff, which is what is needed in today's CFB. This is a semi-pro sport now, and the staff don't get motivated at work when they are getting chewed out and threatened.

Frawg

I believe staff were free to go find jobs elsewhere if they felt they were being mistreated by GP.
They seemed to have a “Gary’s gonna Gary” attitude when he would lay into them during games. During broadcasts of games or at the games I saw Dan Sharp, Meach and others rolling their eyes when GP walked away after the tongue lashings. I think most took it as the cost of extreme loyalty.

Virginia Frog

Losing to VaTech (especially when they are on the skids) is not acceptable to the UVA faithful.

Bronco was an unusual hire for "THE" university (as they deem themselves) and a tiny mis-fit as the HC (IMO.) I think he did a good job generally speaking. The earlier BYU loss was the beginning of the end.

vicarfrog

I don't know Sonny that well so hard to say. Based on appearances and his presented "strategy," I think there are parts of the program, especially around recruiting, the portal, S&C, and the media that will be night/day different.

To use Gary's words... I expect a lot more "Gary" and a lot less "GP" from this new staff, which is what is needed in today's CFB. This is a semi-pro sport now, and the staff don't get motivated at work when they are getting chewed out and threatened.

The leverage of intimidation is no longer present. I think I'm picking up what you're laying down.

Is one of the opportunity's in a "semi-pro" view of college football that these young men are treated like responsible young adults and not babies? So in a sense, there's higher expectations placed on them because the coach is not their mommy anymore?

New #LSU Head Coach Brian Kelly has very interesting clauses in his deal. If he wins a title, firing him would cause an automatic payout of 100% of his remaining salary (LSU has fired Les Miles and Ed Orgeron after winning titles). He gets 90% of it the remaining balance if he’s fired without cause.

His base salary is 10 years/$95M

BONUSES INCLUDE:

$75K for the SEC Championship Game OR
$150K for winning it

$500K “Longevity bonus” annually

$500K for being bowl eligible +
$100K for a NY6 Bowl appearance OR
$200K for a Playoff appearance OR
$300K for a National Title appearance OR
$500K for winning it all

$50K for SEC Coach of the year +
$75K for National Coach of the Year

Additional academic achievement bonuses of $25K each

He owes $2M to LSU if he leaves voluntarily

Kelly also receives:
-Two courtesy vehicles OR two vehicle allowances of $1,000 a month

-Interest free home loan of 20% of the home price up to $1.2M

-50 hours per year of private jet time on LSU’s jets

#CFB

Wexahu

New #LSU Head Coach Brian Kelly has very interesting clauses in his deal. If he wins a title, firing him would cause an automatic payout of 100% of his remaining salary (LSU has fired Les Miles and Ed Orgeron after winning titles). He gets 90% of it the remaining balance if he’s fired without cause.

His base salary is 10 years/$95M

BONUSES INCLUDE:

$75K for the SEC Championship Game OR
$150K for winning it

$500K “Longevity bonus” annually

$500K for being bowl eligible +
$100K for a NY6 Bowl appearance OR
$200K for a Playoff appearance OR
$300K for a National Title appearance OR
$500K for winning it all

$50K for SEC Coach of the year +
$75K for National Coach of the Year

Additional academic achievement bonuses of $25K each

He owes $2M to LSU if he leaves voluntarily

Kelly also receives:
-Two courtesy vehicles OR two vehicle allowances of $1,000 a month

-Interest free home loan of 20% of the home price up to $1.2M

-50 hours per year of private jet time on LSU’s jets

#CFB
Gets paid $9,500,000 a year and gets an extra $500k for winning 6 games. Amazing.