• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

HFrog1999

CA00AC01_66B8_4B26_AB75_D8BCA5A6FBF6.0.jpeg

Vs

https:%2F%2Fautzenzoo.com%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F01%2F9681091-sonny-dykes-ncaa-football-california-washington-state-1-850x560.jpg

Long Time Lurker

Heard this exact thing from a big 12 ref at a bar in Omaha Airport... he was coming back from working an Iowa St scrimmage. He talked up Campbell and how professional he was... his approach to his players and coaches... I asked him what he thought of GP... he unloaded... said he didn't like how he spoke to his players but outright hated how he would treat his coaches in front of them.... absolutely dog-cussed them and degraded them.
Now I know why we never seemed to get the refs on our side. I thought everybody else was lining their pockets. I also thought maybe our players talked too much smack on the field or something. What’s funny about this is Gary would dog his own people more than he would the refs when it seemed like they were against us.

McFroggin

C. If some dumb drunk fan popped off at me, I'm not sure I would not feed him his teeth. (But I also think it is fun to put myself at risk on 1300 pound animals, so take it for what it's worth.)

Except that never happened. Take a different example:
You walk into someone else’s stadium chanting “We are #1” over and over again.
You lose.
An opposing fan says “Good job #1” sarcastically.

That isn’t “popping off at you”. If anything, it is throwing a dose of humility that you shouldn’t walk into someone else’s place bragging. It is not appropriate to curse and threaten to assault someone.

vicarfrog

Now I know why we never seemed to get the refs on our side. I thought everybody else was lining their pockets. I also thought maybe our players talked too much smack on the field or something. What’s funny about this is Gary would dog his own people more than he would the refs when it seemed like they were against us.
I think we need to be careful about turning Coach P into the Bogeyman lurking behind every corner of our problems.

No doubt, his time had come. But also no doubt, that for many years he got us to this point where we hated the taste of losing.

Let's be careful to neither hero worship nor turn him into some type of treacherous villain.

This post while a reply was not directed at you personally, but your post did get me thinking.

Last edited:

East Coast

Tier 1
Another fun one I forgot (that triggered lots of parents/recruits): "I'm always better when I have good players..." That was after the SMU game or something, GP publicly blamed the players for not being good enough... Went unnoticed by the press, not by the school or the team.
Gary increasingly threw his players under the bus, especially this year. It was a very sad look for him.

Mean Purple

Except that never happened. Take a different example:
You walk into someone else’s stadium chanting “We are #1” over and over again.
You lose.
An opposing fan says “Good job #1” sarcastically.

That isn’t “popping off at you”. If anything, it is throwing a dose of humility that you shouldn’t walk into someone else’s place bragging. It is not appropriate to curse and threaten to assault someone.
Oh, I can agree with that last part. Talk is cheap. Either step up and kick their ass or move one.

LisaLT

After reading what GSR wrote, I'm just glad we have have moved on from the toxicity of where the program was headed under GP. By all appearances, I think the administration made the right hire, at the right time. Things are coming together nicely, and there is sense of renewed hope and vision that is a breath of fresh air.

I can't help but feel sad for GP. He really was his own worst enemy, and not very self aware - at least in the final years here.

I always appreciated Gary’s passion and energy and not having to question whether he was bringing his 100 percent. Dykes even remarked on that as eye-opening in one of his interviews this week—he noticed in 2017 Gary’s passion for coaching football, as if he himself had lost that at Cal, or might not have ever had as much—we won’t know with Sonny because he does not bubble on the surface like Gary. Dykes‘ 2017 recognition and this week‘s comment of this is noteworthy.

Last edited:

What Up Toad

Meanwhile, TCU's defense got worse, in part because GP refused to believe that A) His defense had been adapted to, B) He didn't want to believe CFB had changed and the best athletes were all playing offense only, and C) The guys who would come play just weren't able to pick things up like they used to, and GP/Chad/etc. couldn't break through.

In your opinion, was Patterson not trying to transition overlooked offensive athletes like he had in the past? Or was he still trying to recruit those types of athletes and they wanted to stick with playing offense even if it meant going to a G5 school?

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
The thing that I am liking about Sonny Dykes right now — I get this perception of Gary’s old mantra (which we seemed very far away from over the last handful of years) of Any One, Any Where, Any Time. It’s intangible. He hasn’t said it. Just a feeling I kind of get. Yeah I know the Big 12 changed things, but that chip on the shoulder went away and I missed it without realizing it was gone.